People Connected to Lancashire
Map Right - The historical boundary of Lancashire, in red, and the modern-day boundary of the ceremonial county, in green See also
- Lancashire - Main Page
- Lancashire Genealogical Resources
- Historical Lancashire incl. Manchester Merseyside
- Historic Buildings of Lancashire
- Greater Manchester post 1974
- High Sheriff of Lancashire
- Greater Manchester Lancaster Monumental Inscriptions, Cemeteries & Graveyards
- Greater Manchester People
- Old Historic Families of Lancashire
- Old families of Lancashire
HELP is always welcome - Please get involved!!
How to use this Page
- Please link any GENI Profiles with links to Lancashire to this project.
- You can ALSO add the earliest heads of families to the list of Lancashire Families on Geni below (don't forget to link their profiles to the project as well). These would usually be male! Please restrict people added to the list to the earliest head of family!
Note People with links to Lancashire can be linked to the project but not necessarily added to the list below.
People connected to Lancashire can also be linked to the following projects.
Historical and Political people
- accommodated by the project Historical Lancashire (incl. Manchester & Merseyside) which covers the History of Lancashire and historical/political people. Some of these are also listed in the Famous people category.
Famous or Notable People
Those people of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown! Please visit Lancashire - Famous People and add them to the listing there.
People from Lancashire who went to the "New world" and were early progenitors in those countries. Where the earliest ancestor is known please add them to the list of "Lancashire families on Geni" below if that was their roots, or to the appropriate county project.
Where the earliest known ancestor is the emigrant add them to the list below. In some cases if there is a project that covers them in detail please link the project.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
See also the following GENi projects
Heads of Lancashire Families on Geni
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles. Other links take you to external biographical web pages.
- John Appulton 1465-1546) Extensive tree online - Appulton/Appleton family - Appleton Village, Prescot. Srats c. 1440 John Appulton
- James Atherton (1524 - 1559)
- John Bocock (c1781-1847) Bolton
- Andrew Christy (1799-1865) Although born in Shropshire the family established themselves in Lancashire
The Tinnes were Dutch sugar merchants and ship owners, who went to Liverpool from Demarara in what was then Dutch Guiana, later to be re-named British Guiana (and finally, following independence in 1966, Guyana) on the North East coast of South America. During the 19th century, as part of the firm of Sandbach, Tinne & Co, the family made a great fortune importing sugar, molasses, coffee and tropical hardwoods from their plantations.
There are links to biographies and more of people buried in the Jewish Deane Road Cemetery, Liverpool at their web page.
- Henry Aarons (c.1801-1874) stationer and synagogue beadle
- Israel Barned (1777-1858) banker and founder of Deane Road Cemetery
- Rev Raphael Barnett (c.1814-1887) minister of religion and kosher slaughterers
- David Behrend (1792-1863) & George H Behrend (1826-1903) shipping agents
- Louis Benas (1820-1890) & family bankers with illustrious ancestry
- James Braham (c.1811-1873) benefactor
- Isaac Bright (1762/3-1849) jeweller and silversmith
- Rev Raphael Isaac Cohen (1803-1865) minister of religion and schoolmastern
- Baroness Miriam de Menasce (1851-1890) baroness
- Gabriel Pincus Gabrielsen (c.1831-1911) commercial traveller
- Bearman Gollin (1818/19-1895) merchant & Mary Gollin (1830-1906)
- The Hart/Simmons/Edwards Family outfitters and provision dealers
- The Hime Family music publishers
- John Raphael Isaac (1809-1870) painter and lithographer
- The Jackson Family drapers and synagogue officials
- Ellis Montefiore Joseph (1802-1880) cotton broker
- Henry Leveaux (c.1796-1859) fancy goods merchant
- Augustus Samuel Levy (c.1815-1888) fruit broker and philanthropist
- David Lewis (1823-1885) retail mogul
- Dr Sigismund Lewis (c.1820-1899) communal physician
- Issacher R Marks (1836-1859) victim of Royal Charter shipwreck
- Charles Mozley (1797-1881) banker and first Jewish Mayor of Liverpool
- Harris Newrick (c.1846-1893) cotton porter, hawker and tailor
- Rev Michael Solomon Oppenheim (c.1791-1855) minister of religion
- Theresa Otterbourg (1828-1909) schoolmistress & Bertha Lewis (1832-1896)
- Rev Prof Jacob Prag (1816-1881) minister of religion and university lecturer
- Jonas Reis (1819/20-1877) banker and bullion merchant
- Joseph Leopold Rosenheim (1835-1889) cotton merchant
- Lyon Samson (c.1786-1843) optician
- Moses Samuel (1764/5-1839) philanthropist
- Moses Samuel (1795-1860) clockmaker, translator and correspondent
- The Samuell Family watchmakers, merchants and lawyers
- Abraham Saqui (c.1824-1893) composer and choirmaster
- Moritz Paul Tueski (c.1833-1882) professor of languages
- Dr Joshua Van Oven (1766-1838) pioneering surgeon and school founder
- The Yates/Samuel Family merchant dynasty
Emigrants from Lancashire
Please add the names of people from Lancashire who settled in the "New World"
- James Atherton (c. 1624 - 1710)
Other Pages for People Connected to English Counties
- People Connected to Bedfordshire
- People Connected to Berkshire
- People Connected to Buckinghamshire
- People Connected to Cambridgeshire
- People Connected to Cheshire
- People Connected to Cornwall
- People Connected to County-Durham
- People Connected to Cumberland
- People Connected to Derbyshire
- People Connected to Devon
- People Connected to Dorset
- People Connected to Essex
- People Connected to Gloucestershire
- People Connected to Hampshire
- People Connected to Herefordshire
- People Connected to Hertfordshire
- People Connected to Huntingdonshire
- People Connected to Kent
- People Connected to Leicestershire
- People Connected to Lincolnshire
- People Connected to Middlesex
- People Connected to Norfolk
- People Connected to Northamptonshire
- People Connected to Northumberland
- People Connected to Nottinghamshire
- People Connected to Oxfordshire
- People Connected to Rutland
- People Connected to Shropshire
- People Connected to Somerset
- People Connected to Staffordshire
- People Connected to Suffolk
- People Connected to Surrey
- People Connected to Sussex
- People Connected to Warwickshire
- People Connected to Westmorland
- People Connected to Wiltshire
- People Connected to Worcestershire
- People Connected to Yorkshire
this project is in HistoryLink