People Connected to Wiltshire
People connected to Wiltshire can be placed in the following groups.
Historical and Political people
- accommodated by the project Historic Wiltshire which covers the History of Wiltshire and historical/political people. Some of these are also listed in the Famous people category.
Families with their roots in Wiltshire.
Please add the earliest head of the family to the list of Wiltshire Families on Geni below and link their profiles to the project. These should be male! Adding anyone with a Wiltshire birthplace to the project would cause the project to be a little cluttered, so please restrict this to the earliest head of family!
Famous or Notable People
Those people of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown! Please visit Wiltshire - Famous People and add them to the listing there.
People from Wiltshire who went to the "New world" and were early progenitors in those countries. Where the earliest ancestor is known please add them to the list of "Wiltshire families on Geni" below if that was their roots, or to the appropriate county project.
Where the earliest known ancestor is the emigrant add them to the list below. In some cases if there is a project that covers them in detail please link the project - there is no point in duplicating the list.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles. Non-bold links take you to other biographical web pages.
Wiltshire Genealogical Resources
- The visitation of Wiltshire 1565
- The visitation of Wiltshire 1623
- Wiltshire Community History website, run by the Libraries and Heritage services of Wiltshire County Council. This site includes maps, demographic data, historic and modern pictures and short histories.
Wiltshire Families on Geni
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
- William Pyt-alias- Bennett (c 1550 Tisbury
Emigrants from Wiltshire
Please add the names of people from Wiltshire who settled in the "New World"
- James Rideout (1801-1878) Arrived in Australia 3 Oct 1838. He travelled to Australia on the "John McLellan" with his wife, Caroline and their children William, Jasper, Martha, Mary and John (who was born on the voyage). Departure date was 2 June 1838
- Lucy Gregory married Inggs
The Visitations of Wiltshire 1623
The above Publication - with varying depths of pedigrees - can be seen at