This project is to research and find out more about the Powell and other related families originating in Jamaica, West Indies.
An alphabetical list of property owners transcribed from the Jamaica Almanac and Registry for the years 1816, 1818, 1821, 1825 and 1830 for the parish of St. Elizabeth in the island of Jamaica. The list is sorted by name of owner, year tabulated, and name of property. Each entry lists numbers of slaves and livestock owned, and in some cases total acreage of holding. Property Owners - Jamaica Almanac (1816 to 1830) : Surnames: PIG > REN : Parish of St. Elizabeth. ( http://www.bromfield.us/gen_property/JA_Prop33.htm ).
An interesting aside, my paternal grandfather's name was Kenneth Kwame Welsh ).
I am related to the Powells from Meadesfield District in Knockpatrick, Manchester. Some of my ancestors left this area to move to Linstead which is Asafa Powell's lineage. The Powells "originated" post-slavery from Malton, Manchester and migrated to South Manchester and St. Elizabeth. We are also related to the Wilkins, Loneys, Johnsons, McDonalds, Jones, Blackwoods, Dias and Pitters. We are also connected to the Salmons, Swabys and Sinclairs. I have done an extensive family tree over the past 18 years and I have identified the 3 plantations where may come from in North Manchester. (Vincent Henry).
- I've found Powells in Darliston, and Balaclava, that bear a striking resemblance to my family.
See generic Naming Conventions page.
Names For consistency, please make sure the name fields of Master Profiles are first name, middle name, last name, maiden name if known, otherwise blank.
- Claire Powell-Taylor, doll-maker
- Judy Powell
- Asafa Powell
- Donovan Powell
- Ricardo Powell
- Ricardo and Alicia Powell take Basia to TV
- Interview with a Caribbean Internet Pioneer: Richard Powell
- Daren Powell
- John Powell - Art Gallery : Caribbean Art / Turn of the Century
- Patricia Powell
- Colin Powell
- Wesley Powell (Excelsior Principal)
- Leighton "Pin Head' Powell, surfer
- The families of St. Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica
- Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Resource Library
- My Carib Roots
- The Modern-Day Maroons: A Genealogy site of the Welsh-Melville clan, including the six-plus related families
- Thomas Smythe POWELL FAMILY
- 2009 Heron/Powell Family Reunion
- Alex Powell Family Page
- Powells Of Jamaican Descent, Ancestry, or Nationality
- Claire Taylor Dolls
- My Family Roots: Powell
- Property Owners - Jamaica Almanac (1816 to 1830) : Surnames: PIG > REN : Parish of St. Elizabeth
To be worked on
Hi there. I am wondering where you received the family coat of arms? My name is Sharon Powell and we recently traced the family back to Captain James (1702- Died in Jamaica Nov. 21 1732 or 34 not sure with the records) Rainford- to Robert Powell born 1804 can you help as to more info to fill up the family tree if names are there. To all the Powells that may visit this address, please contact me on my Facebook page. I am the Powell with the little cute mice in the cup. LOL. We are seeking additional family from the Ximinis, Rainford, Laird, Powell of course., Butler, Chwan, and many other also Morgan. Please. we know we got more family on the Powell tree, so let us chat.
- The Welshes and Powells were always marrying. My Dad told me a story of two sisters, way back, one married a Powell and the other married a Welsh. They started this tradition.
From Robin Michelsen, Oct. 10, 2004: "I looked in my database but I only have one "Welsh" in it. Robert Johnson Powell, (born 23 May 1855 to Alexander Powell and his wife Rosanna Barnaby), married Anne Eliza Welsh on 26 Dec 1884 at George's Valley. Does that fit into your family tree?"