Families from Zimbabwe Death Notices - 1890-1900
Amongst the many Death Notices available on familysearch.org for the period are some relating to people with families. These are being listed here in the hope that they can be connected at some stage to family trees on Geni. Most of those whose DN's can be seen are unmarried men, prospectors, troopers or natives, and make for interesting reading or browsing.
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
- Christian Pieter Applegran, son of Andries Applegran and Katrina Sussan. Died 16 June 1892, Salisbury Hospital aged 56 years 11 m. His widow Susanna Katrina Andrina.
- George Bennett died 24th November 1892 aged 41. He was a widower with 5 minor children - not named. Mine foreman from Lancashire - Mochan Ulverstone.
- Philip Jacobus Botha and his wife Catherine Martha Botha
- Jacobus Lodewicus Botha died 25 March 1890 aged 12
- Louis Johannes Botha died 26th March 1890 aged 9 years and 3 months
- Thomas Colquhoun died on 13th March 1892 at Umshabetsi of dysentry. "In service of the syndicate". A surviving spouse Dorothy of Woolwich is mentioned on the DN and a minor daughter Dorothy mentioned. she possibly was not in Southern Rhodesia as an English address is given for her. ZimDN 1/42
- James Tower Clifson died 1 April 1893, Bulawayo - Hotel proprietor aged 38. Wife Dora (Pretoria) and child James ZimDN 1/49
- Fairbairn - J G W and his wife Agnes lost a 3 month old child - died on 8th April 1893 of Malaria. ZimDN 1/86
- Eustace MacLeod Forbes aged 31 years and 4 months drowned on 11 Feb 1894 in the Umsigwani River. He was unmarried but his parents were named as Alexander Clark Forbes and Lillias. an addres given - The Grotto, Streatley, Reading. ZimDn 1/124
- Reuben William Grady and his wife Ida were the parents of a 2 month old child, John William Grady, who died of gunshot wounds on 21st March 1893 -"Alongside Wagon (Grady's) about 30 miles from Salisbury on Manica Road". Ida was also killed in the same incident, about 30 years old. Her mother named as Mrs Weeks - Cape. Reuben William was about 40 years old when he died on 6th May 1893 of Meningitus. ZimDN 1/107-108-109
- Hamman - Davina Johanna Hamman died aged 4 years and 7 months on 15th February 1894 of diptheria, daughter of J J and C R Hamman. ZimDN 1/173
- John Henry Hay died on 9th April 1890 of Malaria in Salisbury Hospital aged 20, the son of George Hay of Queenstown - mother deceased. ZimDN 1/127
- M J de Jaager (his widow widow Hester de Jaager), a farmer who died on 4th March 1893 aged 51 years. Minor children named - Michael Peter, Hester, Martha, Annie. ZimDN 1/144
- Faithful James died 28th April 1894 aged 27 years, from Cornwall. Married to Mrs. N James - one minor child. ZimDN 1/176
- Landman - George Arthur aged 6 months, son of William and Rebecca Landman, died on 13th March 1894 of fever. ZimDN 1/177
- Piet Lawrence died on 6 April 1892 30 miles NW of Salisbury, aged about 30 years of malaria. "Supposed to be married and toi have two children in Pretoria". ZimDN 1/166
- Lias Robert and Mary Ann - parents of 7 year old Paul who died on 29th December 1§892 - from/born Barbeton, Transvaal. ZimDN 1/169
- Lynn - George Lynn, father of Owen Lynn who died on 22nd April 1892 aged 10 years - blacksmith's son ZimDN 1/170
- William McCleenan from Ireland. Died 10th October 1893 aged 37 Years and 7 months. He was a canteen keeper in Victoria. 1st wife in America - son ahed 17. 2nd wife Agnes McCleenan in Pretoria with a daughter Agnes. ZimDN 1/178