There is controversy on the ancestry of Captain Myles Standish of the Mayflower-- but we can at least try to clean up what we do know. We do not have Myles' parentage OR the town of his birth. His first wife, Rose, doesn't have a maiden name -- some say she is the sister of his second wife, Barbara. Barbara's parentage is also unknown.
Myles Standish (born circa 1584- 31 October 1656)
married Barbara (NOT Mullens/Mullins. This error is discussed in her profile)
- # Charles (died young)
- # Alexander Standish m. Sarah Alden AND m. Desire (Doty) Holmes
- # John
- # Myles m. Sarah Winslow
- # Lora (not married! died before her father; she is the one who made the crosstitch sampler)
- # Josiah (Captain) m. Mary Dingley AND m. Sarah Allen
- # Charles (who lived to adulthood)
- For more information about Geni Projects, see the Geni Wiki Projects Page.
- If you would like to contribute to this page, please feel free to edit it. Click here for instructions about using Wiki markup language.
- Send a message to the Project Manager to join us and collaborate.
The Geni Master Profile
- See Naming Conventions for notes on historical periods that may be within scope but not covered below.
Make sure the name fields of the Master Profiles include first name, middle name, last name, maiden name if known, otherwise blank, suffix for Sr., Jr., etc. In the display name field only add titles such as Gov. or Dr. preceding.
FN Reuben MN (blank) LN Coffin MN (blank) Display name is Captain Reuben Coffin
- Future releases of the Geni Project module will create a dynamic library of downloadable media for profiles associated with the Project.
-- The media tab of the MP should be used for documentation files. Websites, biographies, census reports, image files -- the richer we make the profile, the more historically and genealogically accurate and meaningful it will be.
-- Adding a source validates the MP, and creates a "timeline" for each life represented by a profile. The more information we add, the more detailed and accurate.
-- Original source data includes: birth certificates, census reports, immigration records, ship rosters, obituaries, marriage licenses ....
- For more about sources, please see: Sources
- Citation data (MLA format is good) should be noted for each source. If someone else can't replicate research, it's not acceptable.
- Instant citation makers on line:
Heather's main source material:
L., Russell, Edna Waugh, and General Society. Mayflower families through five generations: descendants of the Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth, Mass., December 1620. Volume 14 Myles Standish. Plymouth, MA: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 1997. Print. [ http://books.google.com/books?id=EERnAAAAMAAJ&q=Mayflower+Families+through+5+generations%22+Vol+14&dq=Mayflower+Families+through+5+generations%22+Vol+14&hl=en&ei=xnu4TKPLCMKB8ga-mrzADg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAQ]
Arnoux, Annie. Signers of the Mayflower Compact. Clearfield Co, 1998. eBook. http://books.google.com/books?id=uhFkYm2cErcC&lpg=PA30&ots=vQsSOOyRXi&dq=bishop%20john%20white%20leyden&pg=PA30#v=onepage&q=standish&f=false
Standish, Myles. The Standishes of America. Boston, MA: Priv. Print. for the Author by S. Usher, 1895. http://books.google.com/books?id=rMVLAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Myles+Standish&ei=i36VS-SgK5a-MpHvmI8E&cd=8#v=onepage&q&f=false
Mayflower Families.com http://www.mayflowerfamilies.com/mayflower/miles_standish_family.htm
Colonial ancestors.com http://colonialancestors.com/ma/standish.htm
Johnson, Henry. The Exploits of Myles Standish. London: Sampson Low, Marston, 1897 http://books.google.com/books?id=tWlhpwWH9XAC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false
Standish, Myles. The Standishes of America. Boston, MA: Priv. Print. for the Author by S. Usher, 1895. http://www.archive.org/details/standishesofamer00stanuoft