The 11th World Scouts Jamboree was held at Marathon, Greece in August 1963. The Philippine contingent, boy scouts from ages 14 to 19, represented the best of the generation and the idealism of the Philippine youth.
On 28 July 1963, the Eqypt Air jetliner that was carrying the Filipinos crashed on approach to Bombay Airport into the Indian Ocean. Their bodies were never recovered. Three Filipino scouts were sent as a token delegation, days after the tragedy.
In remembrance of the scouts and scouters, a cenotaph* was erected outside the Manila North Cemetery in the Philippines the year after the accident. Streets in Quezon City's Barangay Obrero, Laging Handa ("Always Prepared", the Scouts' Motto) and Paligsahan, bear the names of the fallen. A monument for the Scouts was erected at the rotunda on the tip of Tomas, Morato in Quezon City. For a complete list of memorials to the scouts, please refer to this Google map.
- To be verified. Wikipedia lists that the memorial outside the Manila North Cemetery are empty tombs; but an interview with Mrs. Virginia Castor, the mother of a scout, quotes her as saying " the boy scouts went together, died together, and are laid side by side in their final resting place ..."
More here: http://wp.me/p14T0c-159.
- Ramon V. Albano, Air Scout, Manila Council
- Patricio D. Bayoran Jr., Explorer Scout, Pasay City Council
- Gabriel N. Borromeo, Air Scout, Manila Council - Born 24 March 1949
- Roberto C. Castor, First Class Scout, Quezon City Council
- Henry C. Chuatoco, Explorer Scout, Manila Council - Born 16 September 1945
- Victor O. de Guia Jr., First Class Scout, Baguio Benguet Council
- Jose Antonio C. Delgado, Life Scout, Manila Council - Born 11 August 1949
- Felix P. Fuentebhella Jr., First Class Scout, Camarines Sur Council - Born 19 July 1948
- Pedro H. Gandia, Star Scout, Manila Council - Born 06 February 1948
- Antonio M. Limbaga, First Class Scout, Zamboanga City Council - Born 14 June 1948
- Roberto P. Lozano, First Class Scout, Dagupan City Council - Born 7 February 1944
- Paulo C. Madrinan, Explorer Scout, Pasay City Council - Born 26 January 1943
- Jose Fermin G. Magbanua, First Class Scout, Negros Oriental Council
- Romeo R. Rallos, Star Scout, Quezon City Council - Born 22 April 1946
- Filamer S. Reyes, Explorer Scout, Cavite Council - Born 16 June 1942
- Wilfredo M. Santiago, Star Scout, Manila Council - Born 28 May 1949
- Benecio S. Tobias, First Class Scout, Tarlac Council - 23 August 1946
- Antonio R. Torillo, Eagle Scout, Cavite Council - 10 July 1946
- Ascario A Tuason Jr, Star Scout, Manila Council - Born 28 November 1947
- Rogelio C. Ybardolaza, First Class Scout, Quezon City Council - Born 9 September 1946
- Liberato Fernandez - Assistant Scoutmaster
- Bonifacio V. Lazcano - Scoutmaster and Physician, Manila Council
- Jose Agcaoili Martinez - Jesuit Chaplain, Misamis Oriental Council
- Florante Ojeda Jr. - the oldest Scouter in the delegation
The Token Delegation
- Guillermo Flores
- Louis Santiago
- Nicasio Fernandez