This project will collect a list of "unknown" profiles that users come across.
It is undestandable that some of these profiles are just temporary, while performing additional research to fill in the blanks. Creating a few linked profiles using "unknown" is somewhat exceptable as long as there are some details (birth date, death date, etc) attached. A placeholder in otherwords.
How to Participate
If the "unknown" profile is a public profile, then navigate to that profile and under "More Actions" choose "Add to project"
While we are all guilty of doing this, I would like everyone to make a concerted effort to either:
- add as much information to the "UNKNOWN" profile so that a match might be found
- delete if only "unknown" or "unknown unknown" is the only information entered in the profile (in particular if this occurs at the top of a tree. What is the point of having an "Unknown" at the top of the tree? We already know that this is an unknown.)
Please feel free to add suggestions as to how we can minimize the occurrence of the "UNKNOWN"
I have started by entering those profiles that I am associated. It is my goal to research each with the hopes of adding a real name. It is suggested that you add those "unknown" profiles which you manage and make efforts to add additional information to each including a "known" name.
At your discretion, please delete only those 'unknown' profiles you manage solely. If the 'unknown' profile is shared with other managers, then please contact that manger(s) to discuss further action. Only 'unknown' profiles that do not serve any purpose are the only ones that should be considered for deletion. This should go without saying and should apply to all profiles. DO NOT DELETE OTHER PEOPLES WORK WITHOUT DISCUSSING IT WITH THEM FIRST. If you are collaborating with the profiles manager, then adding addtional information will help to define the 'unknown' profile.
Other common Ways of indicating Unknown profile given and surnames
- NN Common user abbreviation for No Name
- Not Known
- Desconocida also Desondocido Spanish for Unknown
- Inconnu also Inconnue French for Unknown
- Sconosciuto also Sconosciuta Italian for Unknown
- unbekannt German for Unknown
- okänd Sweedish for Unknown
- onbekend Dutch for Unknown
- tundmatu also teadmata also pole+teada Estonian for Unknown"
- tuntematon also ei+tietoa Finnish for Unknown"