Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

Towns, Cities, Monuments, Schools, Historic places of South Africa

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

  • Johannes Petrus Meyer (1842 - 1919)
    Farmer, Transport rider, Field Cornet, Mining Magnate, Member of Parliament, founding member of the Witwatersrand Agricultural Society, Businessman and first Mining Commissioner of the ZAR When settl...
  • Org Meyer (1846 - 1907)
    Johan Georg (Org) Meyer 1846-1907. a1b9c1d5 Johan Georg Meyer is op 30.12.1846 gebore op Swartrivier in die Prins Albert distrik en gedoop aldaar op 14.2.1847. Hy was die vyfde oudste kind en derde s...
  • Jacob Glen Cuyler (1773 - 1854)
    Jacob Glen Cuyler, c. 1806 bevelvoerder van Fort Frederick te Algoabaai, later kolonel en c. 1815 landdros v Uitenhage en Kommandant vd Grens. Eienaar van "Cuyler Manor", distrik Uitenhage vanaf c. 181...

SOUTH AFRICA - TOWNS, CITIES AND MONUMENTS

  • Over the decades South Africa had enourmous changes in names, provinces and even main cities of each province.
  • The aim here is to try and start with the history of each place pointing out the year it was started, after who it was originally named and then how the borders and name changed.
  • Monuments, Schools or what ever will be placed here that are named after someone.
  • Cities and towns that are named after somebody will be a project on it's own.

For that purpose go to: http://www.geni.com/projects/South-African-Towns-and-Cities-inc-Founders-and-Origins/10223

  • This will go hand in hand with the churches project and will take time to complete.

Agulhas

Early Portuguese seafarers named Africa’s southernmost tip Cabo das Agulhas, translating to “Cape of Needles.” Why is still debated. The one explanation springing most obviously to mind would certainly be that the pointed reefs off the shore were likened to needles by passing sailors. But then an interesting fact comes to light, viz that at Cape Agulhas compass needles do not show the usual deviation between true north and magnetic north. The ancient mariners might have named the cape in honour of that phenomenon. The truth shall probably never be known, but that does nothing to the fact that the Agulhas coast is one of the best fishing grounds around. The town of Agulhas is a cluster of holiday cottages and accommodation for tourists who visit the spot where “Two Oceans Meet”. In itself it is a pretty enough village but inevitably becoming very commercial. The Agulhas Lighthouse is the second oldest in South Africa. It was built in 1848 and became operative on 1 March 1849. On a clear night the beam purportedly could be seen for 30 sea miles (approximately 60 kilometres).

Aberdeen

  • Set in the Cambedoo Mountains in the Karoo, Aberdeen is about 50 km south-west of Graaff-Reinet.
  • Aberdeen was founded when the Nederduits-Gerefomeerde Kerk (Dutch Reformed Church) of Graaff-Reinet gave permission for the establishment of a new congregation on 10 September 1855. The farm Brakkefontein had been bought for this purpose by Jan Vorster. A village soon sprang up around the new church, and it was named Aberdeen, after the town in Scotland where a minister of the church, Andrew Murray sr., had been born.
  • In 1858 the first village management board was established, and it soon developed into a municipality. Today, Aberdeen is one of the declared architectural conservation areas of the Karoo, and many examples of Victorian architecture can be found there. According to legend, the last wild Quagga was seen in the Aberdeen area.
  • After 1944 the name changed to Aberdeen in the Cacadu District Municipality of the Eastern Cape province of South Africa.
  • With its numerous examples of Victorian architecture, it is one of the architectural conservation areas of the Karoo.

Adelaide Eastern Cape

  • Adelaide lies in a part of the Eastern Cape that is rich in history due to the confluence of South Africa's three main population groups.
  • In 1834, a Captain Armstrong established a larger military encampment which he named Fort Adelaide after the wife of King William IV. The town subsequently grew up out of this. Adelaide is one of the few towns that still have the same name.
  • Adelaide is a town and area in the Eastern Cape Province of South Africa. Population 12,000 (2001). Adelaide is situated near the Great Winterberg Mountain range. The town is a beef, mutton, wool and citrus farming district

Albany (Riebeeck East)

  • General Jacob Glen Cuyler, the Landdrost of the Uitenhage district, named the area between the Sundays and Fish rivers "Albany" after Albany in his native New York. *Albany became the destination for the 1820 Settlers by the Cape Colony's new British masters.
  • It accepted one of the largest waves of British immigrant settlers to South Africa, and the development of Albany was a milestone in the formation of the British diaspora. Grahamstown, Bathurst, and Port Alfred became important villages in Albany following the arrival of the 1820 Settlers.
  • The area was previously known as the 'Zuurveld' by migrating Boer farmers in the late 18th century, and it lay near the boundary between the Cape Colony and the traditional Xhosa lands to the east.
  • The ANC government merged the Albany area with the large Xhosa township of Alice as the municipal area of 'Cacadu'
  • Jacob Glen Cuyler 1773-1854 Founder

Albertinia

  • Like most towns in South Africa, Albertinia was founded by the Dutch Reformed Church.
  • In 1908 a big diamond was discovered at nearby Aasvoëlberg—literally Vulture Mountain—but no further finds were recorded. The town became known for its ochre and kaolin mines and is also the centre of the aloe products industry.
  • The town was named after the reverend Johannes Rudolph Albertyn of Riversdale, who planned the establishment of a separate church community.
  • On the 10th of September 1898 the church council of Riversdale bought the farm Grootfontein from a "Mrs H. Lourens."
  • A rectory was built by the congregation of Riversdale, and on 17th February 1900 a minister, the reverend D.J. Malan was ordained.

Albertinia was proclaimed a town on 18 November 1904.

  • The mining of red and yellow ochre started in 1925 by W.R. van As, although first noticed as far back as 1797 by John Barrow
  • Johannes Rudolph Albertyn 1847-1920 Town named after him. He was also the 1st "dominee" Reverend.

Alberton

  • Alberton is a town situated on the East Rand of the Gauteng Province in South Africa which celebrated its centenary year in 2005.
  • Founding and history

Org Meyer's Grave At the age of 13 a boy by the name of Johannes Petrus Meyer bought 11 hectares of his father’s farm Elandsfontein. He later built a house next to the Alberton stream or Natalspruit, close to where the civic centre stands today, and married.

  • After his wife died in 1870 at the birth of their fourth daughter, he decided to start a general store and built his farmhouse mansion in 1890.
  • The house was miraculously left unharmed during the Anglo Boer War of 1899–1902 and can still be seen today from the bypassing N12 freeway.
  • Jan's brother, Johan Georg (Org) Meyer, took over the farm after Jan's death. *General Hennie Alberts, a veteran of the war, purchased a part of the farm Elandsfontein from Org and he decided on the name Alberton.

The Afrikaans medium primary school Jan Meyer was named for the original owner of the farm, and the affluent suburb Meyersdal also refers to the family whose original farmhouse mansion still stands on the land behind the Meyersdal koppie. The first official post office was opened in 1926, and in 1938 building work started on a town hall. Street names in the Alberton North suburb were renamed after Voortrekkers in 1938, to coincide with the 100 year commemoration of the Great Trek.

Bloemhof Noord Wes

Die dorp is in 1864 gestig nadat diamante in die area ontdek is. Die dorp is op John Barclay se plaas, Klipfontein, uitgelê. John Barclay was 'n oorlewende van die HMS Birkenhead wat in 1852 by Danger Pointgestrand het. Die plek is Bloemhof genoem na aanleiding van die pragtige tuine wat deur Barclay se dogter aangeplant is. Die dorp is in 1865 opgemeet en in 1869 geproklameer.

  • Bloemhof is 'n landelike dorpie wat op die banke van die vaalrivier in die Noordwes-provinsie in Suid-Afrika geleë is.
  • Dis ook die geboorte dorp van grootwildjagter Cobus Aucamp.
  • Die Bloemhofdam is een van die grootste damme in Suid-Afrika.
  • Die sanger Bles Bridges is in 2000 in die dorp in 'n padongeluk oorlede

Brandfort Cape

  • Founded 1886

Brandfort is a small town in the Free State province of South Africa.

  • Jacobus van Zijl, a Voortrekker elder, established a church on his farm Keerom in 1866.
  • The community was visited by Orange Free State president Brand and, shortly afterwards, the town was named in his honour.
  • The British built a concentration camp here during the Boer War to house Boer women and children.
  • Brandfort was also home to former prime-minister H.F. Verwoerd, who matriculated there.
  • Hendrik Frensch Verwoerd

Caledon

  • Geskiedenis[wysig]

Die eerste vestiging deur blankes het in omstreeks 1715 begin. Mettertyd het die dorp 'n gewilde gesondheidsoord geword na aanleiding van die warm staalfontein. Dit het eers bekend gestaan as Zwarte Berg of Zwartebergbad, maar is op 13 Desember 1813 hernoem na die graaf van Caledon (Du Pré Alexander, graaf van Caledon), goewerneur van die Kaap van 1807 tot 1811. 'n Dorpsbestuursraad is in 1840 ingestel en munisipale status op 1 Januarie 1884 toegeken. Staalfontein[wysig]

Sewe fonteine met staalwater bereik die oppervlak op min of meer dieselfde plek. Ses se temperatuur is sowat 50 grade Celcius, terwyl die sesde se water koud is. Die fontein lewer 900 000 liter water per dag. Die water is ysterdraend en bevat ook nog ander opgeloste minerale en bevat volgens oorlewering genesende kragte. In 1709 het die eerste wit nedersetter, Ferdinand Appel, 'n huisie vir die siekes by die fontein gebou. Dit was die oorsprong van die fraai dorp. In 1946 is 'n sanatorium en ontspanningkompleks by die bron deur 'n brand in puin gelê. Dit is nooit herbou nie, hoewel daar 'n woonwapark en 'n swembad op die plek staan.

  • Caledon is 'n dorp in die Wes-Kaap aan die voet van die Klein Swartberg, 125 km oos-suidoos van Kaapstad en 72 km noordwes van Bredasdorp. Die dorp is 244 meter bo seespieël aan die N2 nasionale pad tussen Kaapstad en Port Elizabeth geleë in 'n distrik, algemeen bekend as die Overberg, wat bekend is om sy pragtige natuurtonele en die staalfontein. Dit is wêreldberoemd om sy groot verskeidenheid heide, protea en ander veldblomtipes. Daar is ook 'n casinokompleks op die dorp.

Ellisras now Lephalale

  • Established 1960
  • Is a town in the Limpopo province of South Africa immediately east of the Waterberg Coalfield. The town was established as Ellisras in 1960 and named after the original farm owners, Patrick Ellis and Piet Erasmus
  • In 2002, Ellisras was renamed Lephalale by the provincial government of Limpopo, after the main river that crosses the municipality. Lephalale is divided into three main subsections, Lephalale, Onverwacht and Marapong.

Ladismith Western Cape

Founded 1852

  • Ladismith is 'n dorp in die Kannaland munisipaliteit van die distrik Eden (provinsie Wes-Kaap, Suid-Afrika).
  • Die dorpsnaam word met 'n "i" gespel om verwarring met Ladysmith in die provinsie KwaZulu-Natal te voorkom.
  • Ladismith is in 1852 gestig en vernoem na Lady Juana Maria Smith (1798-1872), die eggenote van die destydse goewerneur van die Kaapprovinsie, sir Harry Smith.
  • Besienswaardighede sluit die plaaslike kerkgeboue van die Pinksterbeweging en Lutherane.
  • Die geboortehuis van die bekende Afrikaanse digter C.J. Langenhoven in.

Parow

  • Parow is a northern suburb of Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa founded by Johann Heinrich Ferdinand Parow who arrived to the locality in 1865.
  • During a great storm in Table Bay in 1865, 19 ships were stranded. Amongst the many schooners was the Kehrwieder, the ship of Captain Johann Heinrich Ferdinand Parow. After being stranded, Captain Parow settled down in the Cape of Good Hope and married Johanna Wilhelmina Timmerman, the daughter of the family that helped Captain Parow after being stranded on the Cape coast.
  • Parow quickly realised the potential value of the Tyger Valley area north of Cape Town and that the area held great opportunities for cattle trade. Captain Parow soon moved inland to this area and started selling ground in the area which is today known as Parow, which built up a great deal of wealth for the Captain.
  • Parow died on 4 December 1910, in his house in Cassibelle, Maitland. His wife, JW Timmerman, died ten years prior. They did not have any children.
  • Captain Parow's telescope is in the Town Hall of Parow.

Modern day

  • A village management board was established for Parow in 1902. It was upgraded to a municipality in 1939. The municipality was incorporated into the City of Tygerberg in 1996.
  • The Parow valley was included in the Cape Town municipal land area in 1944. *During the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, Parow was largely transforming into a commercial area, with many shopping centres opening around Voortrekker road, one of the longest roads in Cape Town.

Piketberg Cape

  • Die town was founded in 1836 when sir Benjamin D'Urban donated the farm “Grotefontein” to the churchboard.
  • The 1st stands were sold in in 1841.
  • Die kerk het die dorp tot 1901 bestuur.
  • Die spoorlyn na Bitterfontein het die dorp in 1902 bereik.
  • Die naam is afgelei van die ou Nederlandse woord picquet wat van Frans geleen is en militêre wagpos beteken.
  • So 'n pos is reeds in die 1670's aan die voet van die berge gestig om die boere te beskerm teen strooptogte van die Khoikhoi-stamme.
  • Soos op baie ander dorpies in Suid-Afrika is die grootste gebou die NG kerkgebou. Piketberg spog met 'n besonder indrukwekkende voorbeeld wat deur die argitek Carl Otto Hager in sy kenmerkende Neogotiese styl ontwerp is.

Potchefstroom

  • Potchefstroom is 'n stad in die Noordwes-provinsie van Suid-Afrika.
  • Dit was die oudste dorp in die ou Transvaal-provinsie.
  • Dit is in November 1838 deur Voortrekkerleier Hendrik Potgieter aan die oewers van die Mooirivier gestig. Die stad staan ook as die "Stad van Deskundigheid" bekend.
  • Potchefstroom is 'n groot akademiese dorp. Die Teologiese Skool van die Gereformeerde Kerke in Suid-Afrika, wat in 1869 op Burgersdorp gestig is, is in 1905 na Potchefstroom verskuif.
  • In 1919 het "Het Potchefstroom Universiteitskollege voor Christelike Hooger Onderwijs" ontstaan uit die Literariese Departement van die Teologiese Skool.
  • In 1951 is die PUK erken as ‘n selfstandige universiteit wat bekend sou staan as die Potchefstroomse Universiteit vir Christelike Hoër Onderwys (PU vir CHO).
  • Die PU vir CHO het in 2004 met die University of the Northwest in Mahikeng saamgesmelt om die Noordwes-Universiteit te word en sou voortaan bekend staan as die Potchefstroomkampus van die Noordwes-Universiteit. Hierdie multikampus en multidiverse universiteit het tot stand gekom nadat die regering verreikende veranderings in tersiëre onderwys aangebring het en wetgewing deurgevoer het wat die aantal tersiêre inrigtings in die land verminder het. Dit het die einde van die Christelike inslag van die universiteit beteken.Die Potchefstroomkampus het 33 000 studente.

Prins Albert

  • Prins Albert lê aan die voet van die Swartberg en by die noordelike ingang tot die Swartbergpas, op 'n hoogte van 650 meter bo seevlak. Die dorp het sy landelike 19de eeuse karakter met sy kenmerkende grasgedekte gewelhuise bewaar.
  • Die dorp het aanvanklik as 'n kerkdorpie ontwikkel. Die leenplaas De Qweekvalleij is op 2 Desember 1762 deur die eerste blanke pionier in die gebied, Zagarias de Beer betrek.

Die plaas was 'n halfwegstasie tussen Kaapstad en Graaff-Reinet, en sy seun Samuel het hier later vername besoekers ontvang, waaronder die Kaapse goewerneurs Joachim van Plettenberg en Jan Willem Janssens. Laasgenoemde is van die bekende reisiger en natuurkundige dr. Hinrich Lichtenstein vergesel.

  • Die Kaapse owerheid het egter op 31 Julie 1845 ter ere van koningin Victoria se eggenoot die naam Prins Albert aan die nuwe dorp toegeken.[3]
  • Die dorp was in 1891 midde-in 'n goudstormloop toe 'n goudklont naby die dorp ontdek is.

Redelinghuys

  • 1906
  • Redelinghuys is a small town in the Bergrivier-municipality, north of Aurora in the Western Cape.
  • Die dorp het uit die gemeente van die Nederduitse Gereformeerde Kerk se stigting hier in 1906 voortgespruit.
  • Weens die onbeheerbare grootte van die NG gemeente Piketberg het twee dogtergemeentes twee dae agtereenvolgens afgestig: Aurora op 25 April 1906 en Redelinghuys op 26 April 1906.

Stellenbosch

  • Founded in 1679.
  • Close to Cape Town, South Africa, and surrounded by the magnificent mountain scenery of the Jonkershoek valley lies the historic town of Stellenbosch. Stellenbosch, the country's second oldest town, after Cape Town, was founded in 1679, during the period of control of the Dutch East India Company. Situated 111 metres above sea level on the banks of the upper reaches of the Eerste River. Here the river flows out of the mountains and into a shallow, alluvial and fertile valley.
  • Stellenbosch has become known as 'the town of oaks'. These trees being abundant. Some of the oaks have been proclaimed national monuments. When Governor Simon van der Stel first visited the area in November 1679 he was much taken by its beauty. The name Stellenbosch ('Van der Stel's bush') was given to the site of the governor's camp, and by the following year the first settlers had arrived from Cape Town.
  • Each year on his birthday Simon van der Stel visited Stellenbosch and presided over a fair with shooting competitions, feasting and games.

Swellendam Cape==

Swellendam is the fourth oldest town in the Republic of South Africa, a town situated in the Western Cape province. The town has over 50 provincial heritage sites most of them buildings of Cape Dutch architecture. Early travellers and explorers who visited the Cape in the 16th century traded with the Khoikhoi people who lived on these shores and in the interior. When the Dutch East India Company established a replenishment station at the Cape in 1652, trade continued inland as far as Swellendam. In 1743 Swellendam was declared a magisterial district, the fourth oldest in South Africa, and was named after Governor Hendrik Swellengrebel (the first South African born Governor) and his wife, Helena Ten Damme. This outlying settlement soon became a gateway to the interior, and was visited by many famous explorers and travellers including François Le Vaillant (1781), Lady Anne Barnard (1798), William John Burchell (1815) and Thomas William Bowler (1860). In time, a village was established beyond the Drostdy, where artisans including numerous wainwrights and traders settled. To travellers and explorers, the services of the village folk were indispensable, as Swellendam was the last outpost of civilisation on the eastern frontier. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swellendam Persone gebore -Francis William Reitz, Staatspresident van die Oranje-Vrystaat, is in Swellendam gebore.

Waterberg NG Gemeente

Die Bosveldgedeelte van die NG gemeente Waterberg-Noord in 1944 uit drie voorgestelde name Albertyn kies as die naam van die gemeentes wat op die afstigtingsvergadering op 14 Oktober 1944 op Hoornbosch in die huidige provinsie Limpopo gestig is.Die gemeente is vernoem na Dr. Johannes Rudolph Albertyn Jnr.

JUMP BACK TO:

How to Participate

  1. Get yourself added as a collaborator
  2. Navigate to your ancestor's profile
  3. Under the "More Actions" link choose "Add to Project"
  4. Select the Towns and cities of South Africaproject

How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles to projects.

Optional:

  • Include in the "About Me" section of each person a brief biographical sketch of their lives. Also include their Settler party and ship name and arrival date if known
  • Include a photograph/painting of your ancestor if one exists.
  • Your ancestor's profiles should be marked as "public" and not "private".
  • All included profiles should include full identifying information including birth and death dates as well as birth and death locations. It would also be very helpful if the immediate family of your pioneer ancestor, (their parents, siblings and children) profiles were public profiles also.
  • Do not make public any profiles of living people.

The object of reproducing the list here is to see if these people can be located on Geni and perhaps develop trees from them. To take part in any project - you do need to first be a collaborator - so join the project. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!