Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
Join Geni to explore your genealogy and family history in the World's Largest Family Tree.

TRUMPELDOR CEMETERY, the "Old Cemetery" of Tel Aviv - Yaffo. בית העלמין טרומפלדור בתל-אביב

« Back to Projects Dashboard

Project Tags

view all

Profiles

Trumpeldor cemetery often referred to as the Old Cemetery, is a historic cemetery located in downtown Tel Aviv, Israel. The cemetery covers 10.6 acres, and contains approximately 5,000 graves.

בית העלמין טרומפלדור הוא השם בו ידוע בית הקברות הישן של תל אביב השוכן ברחוב טרומפלדור. בית הקברות נוסד בשנת תרס"ג (1902), כשבע שנים לפני ייסוד אחוזת בית, ועם השנים נקברו בו מייסדי תל אביב, סופרים ואנשי תרבות רבים, ודמויות מפורסמות בתולדות העיר והיישוב, ובהם ראש הממשלה השני של מדינת ישראל משה שרת

Trumpeldor Cemetery, Tel Aviv - YouTube tour with Zahi Shaked.

History

Trumpeldor Tel-Aviv cemetery was founded in 1902, seven years before Tel Aviv was founded, during the cholera epidemic that erupted in Egypt, hit Jaffa and spread over the boundaries of the Ottoman Empire. When the plague victims began to die, they were forbidden to be buried in the Jewish cemetery of Jaffa within the city walls. Shimon Rokach, a leader of the Jewish community in Jaffa (and Neve Tzedek) obtained from the Jaffa City authorities a plot of 2.5 acres of government land, far north of the city. The land was purchased by the committee of the "United Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jewish Communities" of Jaffa.

The first two graves were dug distant from each other to claim ownership on the graveyard plot. The first grave was of Samuel-David Greshin-Zan, located in the northeast corner of the plot, and the other was of Niska daughter of Baruch Brumberg, west of it.

The eastern section is the oldest and includes the tombs of the early leaders in Tel Aviv, and Jews from Jaffa. The remains of well-known persons may be found in the southwest corner.

Buried there are the city's founders, early residents, and cultural and historical figures, including e.g. Moshe Sharett, the second Prime Minister of Israel.

When the cemetery opened, its location was far from populated areas but today it is located in downtown Tel Aviv, north of Trumpeldor Street, between Hovevei Zion and Zion Pinsker streets, where its three entry gates are located. The eastern gate is the oldest. The main gate (center) was opened in 1926 with the interment of the remains of Max Nordau, the Zionist leader.

Today, only persons holding plots purchased long ago and a small number willing to pay tens of thousands of dollars are buried there.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission, who list the cemetery as Tel Aviv Jewish Cemetery, maintains one Commonwealth service war grave, of a Jewish soldier of the British Royal Fusiliers (1920).

Notable Interred People

National Leaders - מנהיגי היישוב

Intellectuals, Scientists, Zionist Leaders, Rabbis - אנשי רוח, מדענים, מנהיגים ציוניים, רבנים

Writers, Poets, journalists and Educators - סופרים, משוררים, עתונאים ומחנכים

Artists, composers and Performers - אמנים, מלחינים ומבצעים

Pillars of Society and Community - עמודי הַתָוֶךְ בחברה ובקהילה

Tombstones of special design