- Since April 1688
- The Proprietors of the Gloucester Tenth
- have met annually on this spot
- to elect members to represent them
- in the Council of
- the General Proprietors of
- the Western Division of New Jersey
The goal of this project is to showcase the original proprietors of West Jersey.
The Dutch defeated New Sweden in 1655. Settlement of the West Jersey area by Europeans was thin until the English conquest in 1664. Beginning in the late 1670s Quakers settled in great numbers first in present day Salem County and then in Burlington which became the capital of West Jersey.