This is the Umbrella Project Page for Wiltshire, England.
- Administrative centre Trowbridge
- County Flower - Burnt Orchid
- People from Wiltshire are called - ?
Wiltshire is a ceremonial county in South West England. It is landlocked and borders the counties of Dorset, Somerset, Hampshire, Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire and Berkshire. It contains the unitary authority of Swindon and covers 3,485 km2 (1,346 square miles). The ancient county town was Wilton, but since 1930 Wiltshire County Council and its successor Wiltshire Council (from 2009) have been based at Trowbridge.
Wiltshire is characterised by its high downland and wide valleys. Salisbury Plain is famous as the location of the Stonehenge and Avebury stone circles and other ancient landmarks and as the main training area in the UK of the British Army. The city of Salisbury is notable for its mediaeval cathedral. Important country houses open to the public include Longleat, near Warminster, and the National Trust's Stourhead, near Mere.
Information on the 261 civil parishes of Wiltshire is available on the Wiltshire Community History website, run by the Libraries and Heritage services of Wiltshire County Council. This site includes maps, demographic data, historic and modern pictures and short histories.
Districts of Wiltshire
- West Wiltshire
- North Wiltshire
For Historical information about Wiltshire visit Historic Wiltshire - including connections to Historical figures, Gentry and political people connected to Wiltshire.
For Information about research in the County, including lists of people of renown connected to Wiltshire and Families Researched on Geni go to Wiltshire - Family Heads
The following people on Geni offer assistance -
- C. June Barnes Curator
To participate in any project
- you do need to first be a collaborator - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
How to Participate
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- Please add related projects to the menu on the right.
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
Please do not add the profiles off all your Wiltshire born ancestors to this project or the People connected to Wiltshire. Rather add the earliest know person of a Wiltshire family to the 'Wiltshire - Family Heads project.
from The Phillimore Atlas and Index of Parish Registers 1984. See http://www.geni.com/photo/view/4560155096930045739?photo_id=6000000019053596012 - open full view.