People Connected to Cumberland
People connected to the former county of Cumberland can be placed in the following groups.
Historical and Political people
- accommodated by the project Historical Cumberland which covers the History of cumberland and historical/political people. Some of these are also listed in the Famous people category.
Families with their roots in Cumberland.
Please add the earliest head of the family to the list of Cumberland Families on Geni below and link their profiles to the project. These should be male! Adding anyone with a Cumberland birthplace to the project would cause the project to be a little cluttered, so please restrict this to the earliest head of family!
Famous or Notable People
Those people of note with connections to the county are listed below. Some of these connections are a little tenuous - counties like to lay claim to people of renown! Please visit Cumberland - Famous People and add them to the listing there.
People from Cumberland who went to the "New world" and were early progenitors in those countries. Where the earliest ancestor is known please add them to the list of "Cumberland families on Geni" below if that was their roots, or to the appropriate county project.
Where the earliest known ancestor is the emigrant add them to the list below. In some cases if there is a project that covers them in detail please link the project - there is no point in duplicating the list.
Names with Bold links are to Geni profiles. Non-bold links take you to other biographical web pages.
Cumberland Genealogical Resources
- Genuki Cumberland Page
- Cumbria Family History Society
- Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeoligical society
- The visitation of the county of Cumberland in the year 1615
Cumberland Families on Geni
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
- James Bland (ca 1575 - 1620) of Penrith.
- The Clifford family was a family of bankers, merchants and regenten of English descent active in Amsterdam. The family originated in northern England, though their surname originates in the village of Clifford. Northern England was the home of the noble Clifford family, since Roger Clifford was born in Cumberland and died in Brough Castle in Westmorland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_family_(bankers)
Emigrants from Cumberland
Please add the names of people from Cumberland who settled in the "New World"