South African Progenitors - small trees - not connected to main tree
A vast number of South African Progenitors and their families have been added to Geni, and many of their descendants are active on the tree.
This project is targeting families of those families or tree listed in various resources such as South African Genealogies/Families and Genealogies of the old Cape Families who have not previously been added to Geni. Those interested in tree building could add and develop these trees which are largely disconnected from the main South African tree.
Even small trees added to Geni attract the attention of those who Google names and often leads to new people joining the community and becoming interested in researching their families. While adding these to Geni connections to the main tree or other new families are often found through marriages, and so the South African presence on Geni is enriched.
This is potentially an enormous project with a lot of participation needed. It is very much in its infancy, but well worth pursuing. If you are interested in tree-building and would like to take part please do! The more on board the better! It might help if you volunteer to add names of an alphabet letter in the interest of getting the ball rolling!
In time it will be necessary to split the project as it will get a bit cumbersome! I am optimistic!
How to participate in this project
You do firstly need to be a collaborator on the project - so please join the project using the request link under "actions" at the top right of the page. Visit Geni Wikitext, Unicode and images which gives a great deal of assistance. See the discussion Project Help: How to add Text to a Project - Starter Kit to get you going!
What to do for this project
The list below (alphabetically arranged by surname) are people who are listed in various published Genealogies who do not or did not have a presence on Geni. It is a work in progress! Those with active links have had trees or families added. Some are very small trees but may in the end bear fruit. It is best not to add names where the sources give no progeny. The image that has been used to mark the heads of these families can be found attached to this project.
Please firstly check to make sure that the profiles are not yet on Geni before adding them to Geni or the list. If they are represented by private trees please contact the managers to see if they can be made public.
After a tree has been built for a person add the link to this list in bold - also add the profile to this project as well as to the South African Progenitors project if appropriate. For the time being leave profiles on this project which have found a link to the main South African tree add a ✔ (copy and paste). This way we can keep track of those small trees added to Geni but not yet connected to the main tree, and others which have been connected through marriage.
As an example Thomas Abbott has been added to Geni with his very small tree. He would get lost unless he stayed linked to this project. On the other hand ✔ Johann Philipp Anhäuser a.k.a Anhuyser has been inked to the main tree via marriages into the Gunn & van Rooyen families.
- If you have any queries please start a discussion linked to this project. (See the menu top right).
- If you have links to related web pages that would be of interest to others please add them in the relevant section at the bottom of the page. In order to do this use the drop down menu at the top left of the screen and Join the Project. If this option is not available to you then contact a collaborator and ask to be added to the project. As a collaborator you will be able to edit this page.
- Add any documents of interest using the menu at the top right of the page, and then add a link to the document in the text under the heading below. If you do not know how to do this please contact one of the other collaborators to assist you.
How to add a link is explained in the attached document - Adding links to Geni profiles in projects.
Initial listings taken from SAG/SAF
- John Abbott From England between 1838-1854
- Richard Abel born 1836 England brother of Samuel below
- Rudolf Jürgen Abel from Hildesheim
- ✔ Samuel Abel m Susanna Greef 1855. Linked to the main tree through his wife.
- James Abercrombie born Scotland 1798
- Mattheus Abogustus Arrived in SA befor 1860 from Poland.
- Kalil Aboud
- George Abraham arrived in SA 1860 from Lincolnshire
- David Marthinus Abrahams
- Izak Abrahams
- Jan Abrahams
- Jan Abrahams (later Johannes Petrus)
- Johannes Abrahams
- Johannes Hendrik Abrahamse
- Johannes Jacobus Abrahamse
- Joseph Abrahamse
- Abrie (AKA Avrie)
- Peter Lukas Albertus Abrie
- Hans Abrie
- Adam Absalom
- Effendi Abu Bakr
- Rudolf Heinrich Ackerman/Ackerman - arrived 1802
- Thomas price-Adams 1820 Settler
- George Anderson 1820 Settler
- ✔ Johann Philipp Anhäuser a.k.a Anhuyser. Linked via Gunn & van Rooyen
- Jan Frederik Baartman
- Christian Gottlieb Baarts
- Barend Cornelius Backer
- Johann Otto Backer
- Johan Heinrich Backemeyer
- Dirk Backhus
- Johann Gottfried Bandik
- Johann Baptista - Adelborst, took part in the expeditions of Jan Danckaert (1660), Peter Cruythoff (1661) and Pieter Everaardt v. Cruybaert (1661).
- Gabriël Barbier
- Philip Andreas Barchfeld
- Gabriël Barbier, SV/PROG (linked to de Villiers)
- Gottlieb Barends
- William Barrett
- Thomas Berrington 1820 Settler
- William Berry 1820 Settler
- Johann Carl Christian Binnemann
- Johannes Bongard
- Robert Michelmore Bovey 1820 Settler
- ✔ Johan Andreas Brandt
- ✔ Abraham Brunt Linked to de Villiers
- Johannes Gerhardus van Buuren SV/PROG
- Alexander Byrne 1820 settler
- James Cahill Retired Soldier who stayed at the Cape
- Peter Carchaut AKA Carsouw
- Thomas Albert Chalker (1850-1899)
- John Centilivres Chase 1820 Settler
- Anthonio Caspar Melchior Balthazar Chiappini Italian born Settler
- Willem Colbert
- John Coleman 1820 Settler
- William Thomas Collen 1820 Settler
- Charles Crause 35 Lieut. Royal marines (Half-pay). 1820 Settler
- Richard Daniell 1820 Settler
- Timothy Devine 1820 settler
- Georg Wilhelm Dielmann a.ka. Dillman Linked to Vioroni
- Robert Newton Dunn
- George Duffield 1820 Settler
- John Dobson (Connected to Dusing and Vioroni) John Dobson was a Sea Captain - met and married his Dusing wife and returned to Northumberland, England taking her with him.
- Samuel Dredge SV/PROG 1
- William Dredge SV/PROG 2
- Isaac Dugmore 1820 Settler
- ✔ Peter Friedrich Dusing, SV/PROG Linked to main tree through Basson
- George Dyason 1820 Settler
- Evert van Dyk SV/PROG 3 (linked to Richard Abel above)
- George Faircloth 1820 Settler
- Fearnon Fallows Astronomer
- John Filmer 1820 Settler
- Timothy Flanegan 1820 Settler
- William Harden 1820 Settler
- Alexander Forbes 1820 Settler
- Edward Forbes 1820 settler
- William Ford 1820 Settler
- Robert Foxcroft 1820 Settler
- Johann Melchior Frick
- Albertus Frieslaar b Netherlands
- Gerrit Frieslaar
- Jens Jörgen Friis b Denmark
- Christian Frislew (Frislin) b Denmark
- George Futter 1820 Settler
- Edward Gardner 31. Plater. Wife Mary 31. Leader of Gardner's Party on the Sir George Osborn. Children : Hezekiah Gardner 8, James gardner 5, Elizabeth Gardner 5 (died at sea).
- Johan Coenraad Gie Swiss Settler 1751
- Jan Caspar Gie Swiss Settler 1764,
- Thomas Glass 1820 Settler
- John Foulis Goodwin 1820 Settler
- William Gray 1820 Settler
- Thomas Griffin 1820 Settler
- Johann Vakentyn Grübel
- Georg Gottlob Heinrich Gruber
- Johann (Jan) Grün
- Edwin Goddard
- John Goddard From England
- Friedrich Carl Adolph Grünberger
- Heinrich Franz Gründler
- Robert Gunn
- William Gunn b 1782
- William Gunn b c1805
- Aaltje Hand ca 1851-1927 d.o. Louis and Sara hand. She was born in Amsterdam Netherlands and married Henry Solomon.
- Thomas Henry Halse 1820 Settler
- Henry Harper 1820 Settler
- Thomas William Hewson 1820 Settler
- Frederick William Hiles 1820 Settler
- William Carey Hobson 1820 Settler
- Daniel Hockly 1820 Settler
- William Holder 1820 Settler
- William Howard 1820 Settler
- ✔ William Henry John Jerram, SV/PROG a.k.a. Jerrome - British. (Linked through Brandt)
- Thomas Jones (1813-1869) Apprenticed as a straw hat manufacturer on 5 April 1830. He arrived at the Cape in 1838 and became a merchant.
- Frederik Jourdan
- Charles Cocks
- Hendrik Johannes Kocks
- Abraham Johannes Matthee Swiss settler 1743
- Johann Gottfried Mocke
- Dr. Robert Moffat - Missionary 1817
- Samuel John Mollett 1820 Settler
- James Moorcroft 1820 Settler
- Nathaniel Morgan 1820 Settler
- * Charles Mouncey 1820 Settler
- James Murray SV/PROG 2 - 1820 Settler - Hayhurst's Party
- Johannes Heinrich Christian Wilhelm Neitz. One of the first missionaries of the Berlin Missionary Society.* William Norman 1820 Settler
- Johann Heinrich Neuhoff, SV/PROG 1
- ✔ Diederick Pallas connected through Eksteen and Cloete
- John Parkin 1820 Settler
- Richard Peacock 1820 Settler
- George Pelteret Children's Friend Society child
- Friedrich Carl Petrie from Hesse=Kassel, Germany
- Johann Petrie
- Karl Moritz Paul Friedrich Petrie born Petmold, Germany
- Thomas Philipps SV/PROG 1 1820 Settler -leader of Philipps Party
- Thomas Phillips SV/PROG 2 1820 Settler - Crause's Party
- William Pike 1820 Settler
- Robert Pirie 1820 Settler
- James Poultney 1820 Settler
- James Powell 1820 Settler
- William Prynn 1820 Settler
- ✔ James Walter Puttergill
- Petrus Cornelis Pelser Death notice of wife supplied. She was Brits. not connected yet.
- Hercules Sandenberg arrived in 1714 from Drontheim, Norway
- William Sargeant 1820 Settler
- Hezekiah Sephton 1820 Settler
- Louis Edouard Bernard Siemens Rhodesian Settler
- Georg Christoffel Sondermann
- William Spiers 1820 Settler
- Charles James Spiller 1820 Settler
- Dr. John Stroud
- Henry Solomon died February 1911 in South Africa
- John Roy Stewart Born in Aberdeen Scotland ca 1859 †19/6/1939 Johannesburg South Africa Had issue X Jessie Lawson In London.
- Alexander Tennant arrived in SA from Scotland Sept. 1796
- Heinrich Thiart german Settler arrived 1752
- James Thomas 1920 settler
- Jacques Gideon Tredouix
- James Usher 1820 Settler
- Jan Valk
- Christiaan Velbron
- ✔ Thomas Venn Connected through Brandt
- Francois Vink [Private profile on Geni]
- Joseph Vintcent
- Joseph Anthonie Vioroni a.k.a Guiseppe Anthonie. (Connects to the Main tree through Basson)
- Etienne Viret
- William Francis Viret
- William Watson 1820 Settler
- Christopher Wedderburn 1820 Settler
- James Weeks 1820 Settler
- Johan Frederik Welthagen, SV/PROG