Tracing and documenting the ancestors and descendants of Peter Montague, Burgess of Virginia (ca. 1600-1659).
The Encylopedia of Virginia Biography notes:
Montague, Peter, was born in 1600, and was the son of Peter and Eleanor Montague, of Boveny parish, Burnham, Buckinghamshire, England. He came to Virginia in 1621 and was employed by Captain Samuel Mathews on his plantation on James river. he afterwards removed to Upper Norfolk (Nansemond) county, which he represented in the house of burgesses in 1652 and 1653. About 1654 he removed to Lancaster county, then including Middlesex, and represented that county from 1651 to 1658. He was a large landholder and leading citizen. His will was recorded in Lancaster, May 27, 1659. He has numerous descendants in Virginia.
- [Montague] Montague, George William. History and Genealogy of the Montague Family of America: Descended from Richard Montague of Hadley, Mass., and Peter Montague of Lancaster Co., Va., with Genealogical Notes of Other Families by Name of Montague. Amherst, Massachusetts: J. E. Williams, 1886. FHL Collection 897110 Item 1 [4 distinct WorldCat listings]
- [Montague] Montague, George William. History and Genealogy of Peter Montague, of Nansemond and Lancaster Counties, Virginia, and His Descendants, 1621-1894. Amherst, Massachusetts: Carpenter & Morehouse, 1894. FHL Collection 928298 Item 1; digital versions at Ancestry ($) and BYU Family History Archives. [4 distinct WorldCat listings]
- [Montague] Moore, Mrs. Gay Montague. "Peter Montague, Burgess From Lancaster County," Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Magazine, Vol. 5 (1955).
- Myrtle Stevens Hyde, "The English Origin of Peter and Richard Montague," The New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 142 (whole number 566) (April 1988): 149-164.
- Visitation of the county of Buckingham made in 1634
- Montagues in America
- The Boveny-Dorney Montague Family - an excellent summary of what is known and unknown about the Montague family of Boveny.
- History of Peter Montague, House of Montague in America, 1607-1900
- Woodward - Hill Family Tree, Last Updated 16 Nov 2010
- The Montague Family, Submitted by June England
- Dorman, John F. Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co, 2004. Print. p. 652-654