Start My Family Tree Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree.
There are already 69 genealogy profiles with the Sauks surname on Geni. Join now to find your relatives.

Sauks Genealogy and Sauks Family History Information

‹ Back to Surnames Index

Share

view all 69

Profiles

About the Sauks surname

      Clan of SAUKS, spelled by German ministers and czarist officials also as SAUK, SAUKSE, Sauckese (and the first name) , SAUKAS, SAUKASE (and the first name), SAUKUSSE (and the first name).
      Richard Tammik who lives in “Hulja” has been researching the past records of the villages of the estate “Mädapea”, and he agrees that the family name derives from “Saukse" village.  To point out the various ways a name of a place has been spelled in official documents let’s take this of the estate of “Mädapea”:    “Mädapäe”, ”Meddape”, “Mettapaeh”, “Metapä”, “Mettapäh””Mettapäe”.  
      East of “Pajusti” is a place called “Saueaugu” which means “Clay pit”.  “Sau” means clay, but also the staff with a crook, like this of a herder, or of a bishop.  Karl Sauks born in 1889 told Arvo that “Saukse” was originally ”Sau-ukse” the name of a cottage where at the entrance to it the soil was of clay, thus “Clay door”.  Arvo’s grandfather Hans said to Arvo that his family name was originally Saukse, but the czarist official when issuing a passport for him had dropped the letter -e.  
      Richard Tammik advanced another thought, namely that “Sau” in the dialects of South-Eastern Estonia in the districts of “Võru and Setu” and around “Põlva” means “smoke”.  Assuming that a family or two came, or were ordered to move up North, and as they settled in the area of the “Saukse” village, they ventilated the smoke out of a chimneyless building the way they had been used to, namely cutting a hole in the top of the door, a “Sau-ukse”.  This was different from local people who cut an “Olviauk” or “Unkaauk” in the triangular area at the hip under the ridge of a roof to let the smoke escape.  
      About 1703 during the Great Northern War between the Russians and Swedes the Russian soldiers torched the village of Saukse.  The general Sheremetjev reported to the Czar: “All places in the North-eastern  Estonia and Livonia  have been completely destroyed.  The villages can be found only on the map.  Thousands of men, women and children, also horses and cattle, have been captured and are on their way to Russia.  Who could not be taken away were either slashed to pieces or transfixed.  The inhabitants who escaped in the woods or bogs will now certainly adhere to the order of Your regime”.  It is likely that these refugees settled  in many places in the surrounding area of the previous Saukse village    
      In the Estonian Road Atlas 2002/2003 is “Saukse” village marked about 4 km South of “Hulja”.  Very likely after the war in 1703 the burnt up area of the village was incorporated into the fields of the "Mädapea" estate.  Whoever returned to previous Saukse village had to build their houses either at the northern or southern edge of that area.  This would explain why the village as it existed in 2003 was split in two by a wide field.  It is administered by the township of “Vandu”, and the name of the village has been changed to “Vandu”.  The local landowners try to get the name of Saukse village reinstated.
      
      Following are the relatives who lived within the boundaries of the “Rakvere” estate, but whose connections to the clan of Sauks proper have not yet been established:
      In 1739  “Adramaade loendis” (an Agricultural Census) stated that in the village of “Mädapea” a Saukse Hans had 1/3 “Adramaad” that was fallow.  I guess “adramaa” was the area that one could plough with a pair of oxen in one day.  He had one horse with a foal, one ox , one cow, wife, and a son that was not yet 15 yrs old.  For 2 days a week he had to go with his horse to work for the estate, and pay 5 kopeks a year, and bring to the estate a small amount of the produce he got from his land.   During the agricultural census in 1744 he had ¼ “adramaa” of fields, 2 horses and 2 sons and a daughter all less than 15 yrs old.  He was now called “Saukusse Hans”. 
      According to the 1811 “Census of the heads” in the village of “Wabo”, on the farm # 13 lived the  farmer Sauk, Marti Hans (born in) *1761.  There lived also 2 of his brothers:  Maddi *1779, (who had died in) + 1806 leaving there his 2 sons Jaan * 1800 and Jurri * 1804.  There lived also Sauk, Marti Mart (Saukase Mardi Mart) * 1772 (or 1773) and his 2 sons Michel *1803 and Maddis *1807 
      In the village of “Lanemois” (Estate of the Primeal Woods), the farm # 4 was in the hands of the farmer Sauk, Jaan * 1730  +1804.  
      In the “Seelenrevisijon “ (Census of the heads) of the estate “Laanemõis” on April 20, 1816 under # 130 is registered the son of the Sauk, Jaan “Saukasse Jaani Jaak” * 1773, his wife May *1776, and their children: Hans *1802, Liso * 1806, Leen *1809, Jaan *1811, Jürri * 1814.  There lived also the farmer Jaak’s brothers Maddis *1781, and Jaan *1787 with his wife An * 1790, whereas Mart *1786 had + 1815
      In the same “Seelenrevisijon” under # 137 is registered Saukasse Mardi Hans * 1762 with his wife Anno *1766.  Their 2 sons Maddis Jaan *1805 and Maddis Jürri * 1809 went as stepsons in the care of Jaan and Marri Tõnno in the village of “Torma”.  On the farm lived also Saukasse Mardi Mart   *1773 with his wife An * 1777, and their children May *1801, Michel * 1804, Maddis * 1808 and Leen  *1813. 
      
      The oldest entry on the family tree is “Sauckese Hans / Hans Saukse” * 1755.  He is the great-great-great-grandfather of Arvo.  He had a farm in the village of “Kurgvere” that belonged to the estate of “(Mettapäh, Mettapaeh, Mettepäh, Meddape, Metapä, Mädapäe), Mädapea”.    He had a son “Jaan” * 1791 (1793?).  On the same farm lived also Hans Saukse’s brother Tomas Saukse  *1757 in “Kurgvere”.  He had a wife and a son Jurry * 1793.  It is known that Sauckese Jurry had later on Marri as his wife, and they had a daughter Madli * May 2, 1838.  Her Godparents were: the daughter of Uustalo Jaan Leno Tõmmo, and the wife of Tonno Kustas,  Liso Mahlberg, and the son of Koltsi Otto, Willem Kolts.  No more is known about this line of the family tree.
      Going back to Hans Saukse. He may have had another son besides “Jaan”.  “Jaan” is the great-great-grandfather of Arvo.  He was a miller in the village of “Kurgvere”.  He operated likely a windmill, although Mary-Anderson-Reisman-Hayward said that the flour mill he operated was water powered and was located about 5 verst (5,35 km) from “Rakvere”.  According to Richard Tammik the “Rakvere estate” had a water mill in “Nortsu”.   “Jaan” was married twice.  In his second marriage were born Pajuste Kai,  Liisu,  and Vinni Mai.  Vinni Mai married Jüri Milder and they had a son who was blind, and 2 daughters, Marri * March 31, 1837, and Marri (!) * July 22,1839.  No more is known about this line of the family tree.  But in the first marriage of “Saukse Jaan” with Marri(?) was born Mari, who was known as the “Aruküla tädi” (the aunt of “Auküla”?) who married Mr. Kalpus.   Saukse Jaan had also 2 sons:  “Joosep Tõnis” and Tõnu * 1811, + 1890 who took Juuli as his wife whose * is not known, but she + 1870.  This line of family tree has 5 generations.  Tõnu Sauks was a miller in “Kiehlefer (“Kihlevere”).  It was a windmill of Dutch type.  Tõnu decided to move to “Auküla” where he built a new windmill.  During the construction 32 oxen had to pull the head of the mill up on top of the body of the mill built of stone.  The mill stood there until 1939.

.

       “Joosep Tõnis Saukse”  * September 10,1819 in “Kurgvere” is the great-grandfather of Arvo.  He was a forest ranger at “Rõukme”, later “rehepapp”, a supervisor of threshing at Kurgvere? or at “Mädapea” (Mädapäe) estate?  In 1871 he rented a small acreage.  He worked this for 2 days in a week and as a rent had to work for the estate for 4 days a week.  He transported the goods of the estate in a convoy of horse drawn wagons or sleighs to “Narva”.  “Narva”in the “Vepsic” language that belongs to the group of Fenno-Ugric languages, means “juga” (waterfalls).  Joosep Tõnis died in 1882 of a heart ailment in Kurgvere and was buried in the cemetary at “Tõrma” (Southwest of “Rakvere”).  He married “Mai Tivas (Tiivas)”.  Mai was * May 12, 1823 in “Karitsa”.  Her father was Jaan Tivas, and mother was Leena.  Mai liked to sing a lot.  She made candles.  At Christmas time a candle was stuck in a wood candleholder or in the neck of a bottle.  She + on January 6, 1905 while staying with Kai Prälla in Kurgvere.  She is buried in the cemetary at Tõrma.  
      “Joosep (Tõnis) and Mai Saukse” had 9 children.  The dates of * and + of Triinu, Leenu, Jakob and Juhan are not known, though Juhan married Mai Tenneberg and 5 generations followed.  Of the other siblings: Kai (Karin) Sauks Prälla * March (15) 28, 1855 in Järtu village, + June 18,1942, she had 8 children,   “Hans Joosep Saukse-Sauks” * November (4) 16, 1857 in “Järtu village”, + December 7, 1940 in Tallinn,  married Emilie Johanna Marie Soll and they had 5 children.   Toomas-Timofei * October, 1860 in Järtu, + June 1918 in St. Petersburg was married twice.   Jaan * May 24, 1863 in Järtu, + February 24, 1943 married Anna Sootak and 5 generations followed them.   Liiso Saukse-Anderson * January (10) 23, 1866 in Kurgvere, + April 1, 1954 in Tallinn-Nõmme, she had 7 children.      
      The life in 1860 – about 1883 in the area of “Mädapea” and “Rakvere” estates as told by Liiso Saukse to her daughter Reet Andi: “In the cottager's one room house of Joosep Saukse lived many families.  They got along well with each other.  Brothers and boys slept on top of the big stove.  The girls and the parents slept in a bed.  Under the bed was the chicken coop.  A kerosene lamp was hung on a bedpost.  Sunday clothes were kept in “ait”, an outbuilding used for storage of clothes, usually in a chest, foodstuff, bins for grain etc.  Her mother taught Liiso and her siblings how to read.  The parish pastor announced a special day when he would arrive in the village to check the reading skills of children, youngsters and adults.  Liiso was 5 years old when the pastor gave her 2 books as a present for her reading skill.   She and her siblings went to the village school in “Järtu”.  Mr. Aavik was their teacher.  The teacher in “Karitsa” played violin.  The teacher in “Kloodi” was bad tempered and a cross person.”      
      Liiso was very attached to her sister Kai who was 10 years older than Liiso.  All young girls loved to sing a lot.  When Kai was a teenager, she attended the confirmation class held in the pastor’s mansion.  The lessons were for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening.  During the day the girls had to spin and sew, the boys worked in the fields or did other menial jobs.  In the Fall 1881 Liiso attended for 3 weeks  the confirmation classes and in Spring 1882 again for 3 weeks.  This was the first time when the confirmands were not told to work on the pastor’s estate.  The pastor’s dairymaid slept in the dormitory of the girls.  Mr. Paucker and mr. Winckler were rooming nearby and supervised the behaviour of the confirmands.  The organist-choristers and assisstants to the pastor were mr. Saukas and mr. Hahn.  The confirmation of Liiso was held on March 3, 1882 in the lutheran church in “Rakvere”.
      The father of Liiso died when she was 15 years old.  She went to the wealthy Olli farm in “Mädapea as a maid.   At 17 years of age her brother Hans got her the maid-servant position in the estate of “Kasti” that belonged to the count Sievers.  Hans was there as a manservant.  Liiso stayed in “Kasti” estate for a short time, moved then to “Tallinn” to work as a housemaid and later on as a nanny.
      Hans Joosep Sauks (“Papa”) * November 16, 1857 in the village of Järtu is the grandfather of Arvo.  He attended the village school in “Järtu” with other of his siblings.  His confirmation took place on April 6, 1875 in “Rakvere”.  
      About 1879 he worked for the count Sievert (Sievers?) as a manservant in the estate of “Kasti” in the township of “Märjamaa”.   About 13-th century a citadel of smaller size had been erected in “Kasti”, but it got destroyed without a trace being left.  Assuming that the count Sievert (Sievers?) had a property in “St. Petersburg” Hans may have been sent to work there.  Anyway, in 1882 Hans was accepted in the congregation of St. Johannis church in “St. Petersburg”.  On Palm Sunday 1884 he participated in the communion and told of his plans to move to “Merjamäe (Märjamaa)”.  On May 3, 1886 he was in “Merjame (Märjamaa)”
      In Spring 1889 Hans was in “Tartu” and courted  Anna (Johanna) Marie Emilie Soll, (“Mamma”) the grandmother of Arvo.  She was * on January (14) 27, 1864 in the township of  “Võisiku” (Woiseck).  She + on September 9, 1959 in “Tallinn-Nõmme”.  In her teenage years she may have attended a German school for the girls in “Tartu”. She was courted by Heinrich who fell in love with her in 1882 when Emilie was 18 years of age.  On September 16,1884 he gave her a poetry book bound in purple velvet with a large golden monogram of intervowen ES on the front cover.  It contained 150 handwritten poems of love in German language.  It has an inscription written on September 13, 1884: “ In remembrance of the happy hours that the heart experienced of our love … Emilie, oh Emilie! My heart yearns for You”.   It appears that Heinrich didn’t measure up to being a solid provider for a family.  On May 30, 1889 Hans wrote in this poesy in Estonian language that translates as: ”All winds are not destructive, all armies are not victorious, all lips do not tell the truth, all what one sees can’t be relied upon”.  
      Hans and Emilie got married on (July 30,1889) August 11, 1889 in “Peetri (St. Peters) church in “Tartu”.  They had 5 children: Luise (Louise) “Lucy” * April 26, 1890 in “Tartu”, + October 23, 1985 in “Tallinn-Nõmme”,  Eleonore “Noora” * February (3) 15, 1892 in “Tartu”, + September 1, 1903 in “Tallinn”.  The family lived on May 7, 1892 in “Vigala” where Hans served baron Edgar von Üxküll,  Woldemar Karl “Wowa” (“Volodja”) * (March 27) April 8, 1893 in “Tallinn”, + July 23,1920 in “Tallinn”,  Nikolai Joosep “Nixi”, the father of Arvo * February 14, 1895 in “Vigala”, + September 1, 1920 in “Risti” (now Harju-Risti).
      In “Tallinn” Hans lived with his family in the corner house at Lai street 15/ Suur Kloostri 2 that belonged to baron Edgar von Üxküll.  In 1913 Emilie had 3 roomers of whom 2 were nieces of Hans.  In 1914 she was sewing dresses, jackets, blouses and a costume for the girls.  She was also adept in making shoes.  
      The forefathers of the baron Üxküll lived in Livonia, not far from “Riga”/Latvia, accepted christianity very early in the 13-th century, formed alliance with the Teutonic Knights and fought with them against Estonians.  As a benefice they were deeded a number of the villages around “Vigala”.  As vassals they built 4 citadels, and likely contributed toward the construction of the churches in “Vigala” and “Märjamaa”.  The lands remained in the hands of the family until 1920.  During the Russian revolution in 1917/1918 Hans made many dangerous trips to “St. Petersburg” to bring out valuables and furniture that belonged to baron Edgar von Üxküll.  In “Tallinn” the baron deeded to “Aktsia Klubi” his houses at the corner of Lai St.15 / S.Kloostri 2, and on Nunne St. 9.  Hans was given the duties of the superintendant in connection with the houses, plus taking care of the maintenance, other daily activities, and the bookkeeping of the  costs and income generated by the”Aktsia Klubi”.  He was helped in finalizing the yearly statement of accounts by his niece Ms. Gerta Anderson who changed her names to Reet Andi.  The stock of the club was held by the Baltic-Germans who had remained in Estonia after their estates had been nationalized with compensation by the Estonian government or who were involved in business enterprises.  Baron Edgar von Üxküll went to live in germany on a property he acquired along the “Rhein” river.     
      In 1933 Hans bought together with his daughter “Lucy” a cottage on the Pikk St., now known as Sihi St. 109 in the “Hiiu-Kivimäe” area of “Tallinn-Nõmme”.  The house was rebuilt and the sister of Hans, Liiso with her family moved in to occupy the top floor.
      In 1939 Hans retired about the time when the Baltic Germans started to evacuate from Estonia to Germany due to the secret clause in the agreement between German and Soviet governments that ceded the Baltic states into the “area of influence” of the Soviets.   Hans died on December 7, 1940.  On December 10,1940 he was buried in the cemetary of “Kalamaja” in “Tallinn” to rest next to his daughter Eleonore and son Woldemar.  A week later the Red Army razed the cemetary with bulldozers to clear the area for antiaircraft batteries to protect the military harbour nearby.  It is now the “Kalamaja Park”, a park with mature trees and lawn underneath.     
      Nikolai Joosep “Nixi” Sauks, father of Arvo, * February (2) 14, 1895 in “Vigala”, + September 1, 1920 in “Harju-Risti”.  After his parents moved to “Tallinn” he attended  the “Nikolai” high school.  He started to work as an apprentice in city pharmacies.  On February 28,1914 he passed the Pharmacist’s Assisstant exams at the University of “Tartu”.  Mary Anderson-Reisman-Hayward described “Nixi” as a jolly young man who gave for her 15-th birthday a box of liquor filled chocolates. 
      During the World War I he served in the czarist army, likely in a pharmacy.  Back in “Tallinn” he  courted, and married Ida Marie Valdes, the mother of Arvo.  She was * January 15, 1896 in “Kuusiku-Altveski”, + September 24, 1944 in “Kohila” and was buried in the cemetary of “Hageri” parish..  They both decided to open a pharmacy in “Kloostri-Risti, now Harju-Risti”. Likely in 1917, with the help of local carpenters, they built a one story log house across the church and it’s surrounding churchyard-cemetary.  “Nixi” with connections to his friends in the pharmacy trade, and likely with the help of his father Hans, was able to secure a good inventory of drugs for the pharmacy.
      Their son Hans * September 4, 1918, + in 1919.  Ida said, that at the time there was hunger in the area and she didn’t have enough milk for Hans.  He was buried in the “old cemetary” of the parish.  
      Albert Erik, * March 28,1920.  Five months later his father ”Nixi” died likely of the overproduction of the Thyroid or Pituitary gland hormones that led to complications in the functioning of his heart and kidneys.  He was buried next to his son Hans.  In 1932 the iron crosses with brass nameplates were still marking their graves, but by 1982 somebody had removed them altogether.  As of September 20, 1939 Albert Erik took Arvo as his new first name.  On August 12, 1956 the Canadian Citizenship certificate has as his first name Arvo Albert.    
      Arvo Albert (Erik) From the Fall1927 to the Spring 1938 he had his public and high school education in Jakob Westholm’s  school for the boys in “Tallinn”.  On September 12, 1938 he was accepted as a student in the faculty of medicine in “Tartu”.  At home in Kohila he had acquired under the guidance of his mother enough knowledge and skills in pharmacy that in 1939 he was registered in the ministry of health as an apprentice-pharmacist.  Because of the financial situation he interrupted his studies and from October 1939 until June 1940 he worked in the pharmacy in “Hargla”, in the district of "Valgamaa".  Because of the poor health of the pharmacist-owner Arvo had to take care of all aspects of running the pharmacy.  He returned to “Tartu” for the academic year 1940/41 and graduated from the second year of his studies.
      With the German Army occupying Estonia in Summer 1941 Arvo was asked by one of their units to be an interpreter for a period of 3 months.  Thereafter, because  the university was still closed, he enrolled for a year as a Medical Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) in a Guard unit of Estoninans.  In October 1942 Arvo was back at his studies and passed all the exams of the third year of medicine by June 12, 1943.  
      The men born in the year of 1920 were mobilized to be trained as replacements for the Estonian units under German command fighting the soviet army.  Men who understood German language were sent to training schools for officers or for the NCO’s.  Arvo graduated in February 1944 from a course of reserve officers.  On March 12,1944 he was registered for clinical studies in medicine at the university in Giessen/Lahn.  In Summer 1944 he was given the rank of  "Untersturmführer der Waffen-SS", this of Second Lieutenant.  In August 1944 he was ordered to the 2-nd Field Hospital of the Estonian 20-th Division at Illuka/Estonia to gain experience in battlefield surgery.  On September 18,1944 the hospital was evacuated by land route to Germany.  From November 1944 until the end of February 1945 the medical studies were on and off due to the air raids by the Allied Air Forces.  From March 1-st to April 15-th 1945 he worked as a medical intern at the General Hospital in Iserlohn/Westfalen.  Due to the kindness of local Germans he was able to slip in civilian clothes and escaped thus from being killed by occupying US forces or spending some years in a  prisoner of war camp.
       On June 15, 1945 he met miss Maimo Anderson and on September 1-st 1945 the Estonians in the Displaced Persons camp in Heidenheim/Brenz  arranged their wedding.  Two weeks later Arvo started to work for the UNRRA (United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration) Team 67 as their switchboard operator.  In May 1946 he was found to be suitable for UNRRA Class II Officer's position in the Employment Office of the team.  He was now wearing the British Army coarse-woollen uniform with a UNRRA shoulder patch.  He had to deal with the card systems about the professional qualifications of the Displaced Persons in the camps of UNRRA, then renamed PCIRO and soon thereafter IRO (International Refugee Organization).  He worked in various capacities for the headquarters of the Area 2 of US-Zone in West Germany.  For a short time before leaving for Heidelberg he was a lecturer and teacher at the IRO Area Administrative Training School in Geislingen/Steige.
      In October 1947 Arvo enrolled as a medical student at the University of Heidelberg and passed the State Examinations for physicians in the province of Baden by January 20, 1950.  Two month later he was employed as a physician at the DP camp for Latvians in Karlsruhe, was then transferred to the DP camps for the Poles and Czechs, and to the Emigration camp in Ludwigsburg/Württemberg. 
      Arvo, and Toomas who was born on September 16, 1946 in Heidenheim/Brenz, and Mati Arno born on February 27, 1951 in Ludwigsburg emigrated as dependents of Maimo to Canada.  We landed on December24, 1951 in Halifax/NS.  After buying train tickets to Ottawa, and some food from the railroaders canteen, we had $27 in our pockets.  Maimo's fictitious seamstress job was soon replaced with working in the cafeteria of YWCA.  Arvo replaced an orderly at Ottawa General Hospital until he returned from holidays, then worked as a common labourer for $ 0.87/hour.  With the advice and a small loan from his colleague dr. Juhan Paidra Arvo applied at the Ministry of Health of Ontario for a job in a psychiatric facility.
      On January 15, 1952 Arvo moved with his family to Ontario hospital in Penetanguishene to work there as a Graduate Medical Intern.  He was employed there until December 31,1963.  Meanwhile he was in 1953/54 for his rotating internship year with the Ottawa Civic Hospital, got his physicians licence on June 28,1956.  Daughter Tiina Anne was born on July 5, 1955 in Penetanguishene.  From 1956 - 1959 he had his psychiatric training at the University of Western Ontario in London, ON 
      From January 1, 1964 until May 31,1993 he was in employ of Ontario Psychiatric Hospital in North Bay.  About 1974/75 he was the Director of Western Unit, and from 1976 until end of May 1982 Director of Psychogeriatric Unit, leaving the position because of health reasons.  Up to that time he gave consultations to the physicians in general hospitals in North Bay, Kirkland Lake, nursing homes in Callander, Mattawa, South River, Sturgeon Falls, and in the residential home for the discharged chronic psychiatric patients in Powassan.  Just like in Penetang he had been asked occasionally by the crown attorneys or defence lawyers to give expert opinion in the courts.   After his recovery in 1982 from Adrenalectomy and nephrectomy he was for a few years director of the Rehabilitation Unit, followed by consultations in a ward for female chronic psychiatric patients on a half time basis until his final retirement on May 31, 1993.
      In 1967 Arvo and Maimo bought a lot at the South shore of Lake Nipissing and in 1970 actualized the plan to build there a permanent home.  Their son Mati and daughter Tiina were pitching in as well.  Arvo and Maimo continue to live there in retirement, enjoying the roomy back porch, swimming pool and spa that was designed and given to them by Mati.
      Dr. Toomas Peeter Sauks has a solo family physician's practice in Owen Sound, ON.  He graduated from the medical faculty of Toronto in 1972 and went in solo practice in 1974.  During the end of 1970-ies he introduced first year medical students to the office practice in weekly sessions.  In 1985 he was invited to the Medical Review Board of the Ontario Physicians and Surgeons to help at assessing of the quality of the medical records of his peers.  In 1992/93 he was the chairman of the Board.  Since 1994 he has been Assisstant Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University Toronto.

Toomas is married to JoAnn Smith (*1950) and they have 3 daughters, Emilie Skye (*1981), Katherine Merike (*1984), Jennifer Marja (*1986)

      Mati Arno Sauks graduated from the Trinity College at Toronto University with "Hons.B.Sc" in chemistry.  In 1975 he earned "B.of Ed" title from theToronto Institute of Pedagogy.  For a few years he taught in high schools in Pembroke, ON and area.  With his marriage ending in divorce he went to Carleton University in Ottawa to study computer science.  He graduated in 1984 "Summa cum Laude" and received "B. of Computer Science" title with gold medal from the senat of the university.   In 1989 he and some of his friends founded  "Precise Software Technologies Inc." in Ottawa, and Mati worked there as the manager of research and development.  In 1999 they were bought out by British ARC International and Mati enjoyed a sabbatical year.  He works again, but now for Windriver System as a software architect.
      Tiina Anne graduated in 1978 "Summa cum Laude", Hons. B.Sc." in Biology at the Erindale College of the Toronto University.  She married the paleontologist James Arthur Burns (*1947), and they have Taavi Andrew (*1980), Lisel Anne (*1982), Bevan Alexander (*1984) and Maret Ada.(*1988).  Tiina and James divorced in 2003.  For a few years Tiina was the leader and instructor in "La Leche League" in Edmonton and an instructor about the breastfeeding for the student nurses taking courses in the community college.  Tiina graduated in 1995 with "Hons. MLIS" as master of Library and Information Science at the university of Edmonton in Alberta.  Besides being a librarian in one of the city libraries she has been giving lectures about librarianship in a community college in Edmonton, AB.    
      
      
      SAUKS, Arvo Albert (Erik) sündis 28.03.1920 praeguses Harju-Ristis.  Ta lõpetas J.Westholmi gümnaasiumi Tallinnas 1938.a. ja astus samal sügisel Tartu Ülikooli arstiteaduskonda, kus ta lõpetas 1943.a. 3. kursuse.  Arsti kutse tõendi sai ta Heidelbergi Ülikoolis kliiniliste ainete õppe järel 1950.a. jaanuaris ning Kanaadas praktiseerimise õiguse 1956.a.         
      Juulis 1941 a. ta oli ühes Tartu Omakaitse üksuses sanitariks, siis Eesti 185. Julgestuspataljoni 20. kompanii velskeriks Sanitaar Allohvitserina.  Mais 1943 suunati ta selletõttu Eesti Leegioni.  Heidelaagris, Poolas suunati ta saksa keelt oskajana Bad Tölzis asuvasse Waffen-SS ohvitseride kooli.  Sinna  jõudnult paigutati Arvo kooli staabi meeskonda kuuluvate meestega ühte  tuppa.  Kui ta uuris, kas koolis või linnas on ujumise võimalusi, lubas üks meestest seda välja leida. 
       Järgmisel päeval läksin temaga basseini ees olevasse sauna.  Ta lahkus peagi viidates teisele basseini viivale uksele.  Sinna sisenenult tundsin, et mind oli alt veetud.  Seal olevad mehed näisid olevat kooli ohvitserid.  Küsisin ja sain loa ühe pealtpoolt põlve amputeeritud mehe kõrvale istumiseks.  Talle tuli jutustada Eesti olude üle, ning ta kuulas huviga, mis toimus seal võimude vahetuse ajal.  Rääkisin ka Tapa raudteejaama vallutamisest.  Siis ütles ta veenvalt, et mul tuleb 10 m kõrgusest tornist vette sukelduda.  Esimest korda mu elus!  Seadsin end torni servale tikksirgelt seisma ja lasin end niimoodi pea ees vette langeda.  Hiljem kuulsin, et kes sealt vette ei hüppa saadetakse üksusesse tagasi, samuti et mu vestluskaaslaseks oli me 11. junkrute kursuse väljaõppe direktor!  Ta küsimus, et kas ma elan kuni sõja lõpuni põhjustas mus hämmelduse, kuid alateadvusest tuli spontaanne:"Mitte ennem kui ma olen ühe põhilise ülesande täitnud!"  Ta tahtis teada, mida arvan rüütliristi kandjatest.  Ütlesin, et sõja võidukalt lõppedes nad on suure au sees, kuid kaotuse korral jäävad nad igapäevaste inimestena elama.  Vahepeal helistas ta kuhugi ja üks vast seitsmemeheline grupp tuli basseini tornipoolsesse otsa ujuma.  Sain uuesti korralduse tornist sukeldumiseks.  Vees olevad mehed olid kobaras koos ja vaid irvitasid, kui palusin  mulle veidi sukeldumisruumi anda.  Soodsal hetkel tegin tikksirge sukeldumise.  Keegi haaras mu säärest kinni, kuid vabanesin, kui teise jalaga andsin selles suunas hea vopsu.  See pani mind muretsema, kas vis neil tõesti olla mõttes mu uputamine!  Ujusin sellepärast vee all basseini serva pidi nii kaugele, kui õhku jatkus, siis tõusin hingetõmbeks hetkeks pinnale ning jatkasin sukeldunult edasi ujumist.  Uuesti veepinnale tõusnult olin ohvitseri kohale jõudnud.  Ta oli äärmiselt üllatanud, kui palusin luba basseinist väljumiseks.  Ta läks meeste juure, kõneles, andis käsu ja tuli tagasi.  Ta tahtis teada, kas oskan tulevikku ette näha, mida eitasin.  Peagi möödusid meist mehed, kelledest neli kandsid ühte hoides teda jäsemetest.  Viisin jutu kunstliku hingamise meetoditele.  Sellejärel sain loa oma tuppa minekuks.  Tuba oli tühi!  Peagi tuli sõdur, kes viis mind ühte teises hoonetiivas olevasse junkrute tuppa."    
      Reservohvitseride kursuse lõpetanult suunati Arvo Giessen/Lahn Ülikooli juures asuvasse SS-Sanitaar- kompaniisse. Suvel 1944 tuli ülendus Untersturmführer der Waffen-SS'iks, st. nooremleitnantiks ning komandeering välikirurgia õppeks Eesti 20. Diviisi 2. Välihaigla juure Illuka mõisas.  Septembri 18.1944 algas maad mööda taganemine ja evakuatsioon Neuhammeri väljaõppe laagrisse.  Sõjaväe teenistus lõppes Arvole 15.aprillil 1945, kui ta oli Iserlohn/Westfalenis olevas piirkonna haiglas praktikal. 
      Heidenheim/Brenz eestlaskond organiseeris 1.septembriks 1945 Arvo ja haiglaõe Maimo Andersoni pulmad.  Aastavahemikus 1946-1955 sündisid neile kaks poega ja üks tütar.  Elu ülalpidamist teenis Arvo alul Saksa majanduses lihttöölisena, siis United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration'i  juures keskjaama telefonistina, millest ta edudati UNRRA Class II ohvitseriks tegelema põgenike laagreis elavate inimeste elukutsete registreerimise ja klassifitseerimisega.
      Maimo võimed viisid ta International Refugee Organization juures Emigratsiooni laagri ülemõe kohani välja.  Tema sissetulek võimaldas Arvole õpinguid Heidelbergis.  Arsti kutse saavutanult töötas Arvo arstina nii lätlastest, tshehhide-slovakklastest põgenike kui ka emmigratsiooni laagreis.
      Saukside pere maandus 1951a. jõululaupäeva õhtul Halifaxis, Kanaadas.  Sealne elu algas Arvol ka lihttöölisena ja Maimol Kristlik Noorte Naiste Ühingu söögilauas töötava abilisena. 
      Ontario vaimuhaiglates oli kohati arstide puudus.  Arvo hakkas 15.jaanuaril1952 töötama Penetangis.    Ta sai 1956.a. arsti kutseõigused.  Sellele järgnes psühhiaatria kolmeaastane väljaõpe Western University London, Ontario juures, ning sellele jatkuv töö Penetangis kuni 1963. a. lõpuni.  Siis siirdus ta koos perega North Bay, Ontario vaimuhaiglasse, kus ta töötas kuni  mai lõpuni 1993.  Seljataha jäi aastane lääne piirkonnast tulevate haigete jaoskonna, kuueaastane psühhogeriaatria osakonna, ja mitmeaastane rehabilitatsiooni jaoskonna juhtimine, millega kaasusid ka konsultatsioonid üldhaiglais, põetuskodudes, ja endiste patsientide hoolduskodudes.
      Arvo ja Maimo lapsed said ülikooli hariduse.  Toomas on perearstiks Owen-Sound'is.  Mati on tarkvara arhitektiks Ottawas.  Tiina on Albertas Edmontoni linna ühe haruraamatukogu juhatajaks.  
                                            Andmed  Saukside  suguvõsa  kohta
          Arvo isapoolse vanaisa seisukohast vaadates oleks õigem tegeleda Sauksede suguvõsaga.  Sakslastest kirikuõpetajate ja tsaristliku valitsuse ametkonna otsuste järgi tulenes Saukse nimest SAUK, SAUKAS,  SAUKASE, SAUKUSSE,  SAUCKESE, kusjuures viimasele kolmele järgnes eesnimi.

Arvo Albert Sauksi Kanaadas olles saadeti talle postiteel kirju, kusjuures ta perekonna nimi ilmus 117-nes variandis !

           Hulja asunduses elav Richard Tammik uurides Mädapea mõisa kohta käivaid arhiivmaterjale kinnitab Saukside poolt suusõnaliselt edasiantud  fakti, et nende perekondade nimi tuleneb Saukse küla nimest, mis asub Huljast veidi vähem kui 2 km lõunasse.  Hulja asub Kadrinast Rakverre viiva maantee nr. 5-e ääres.  Olgu siis siin toodud ka "Mädapea" mõisa nime variandid "Mädapäe", "Meddape", "Mettapaeh", "Metapä", "Mettapäh", ja "Mettapäe"
            Rakverest veidi kagusse on Pajusti asula. sellest idapoole on "Saueaugu".  Mõiste Sau tähendab embakumba, kas keppi, nagu karjase või piiskopi kõvera otsaga keppi, või savi.  Karl Sauks (*1889) seletas Arvole, et me perekonna nimi oli algselt Sauukse tänu popsikoha ukse ees olnud savisele maale.  See nimi lühenes Saukseks.  Arvo vanaisa Hans (*1857) ütles et tsaariametnik unustas tema passi väljastades e-tähe nime lõppu kirjutamast.  Richard Tammik teadis öelda, et Sau  tähendus käib Kagu-Eestis Põlva ning Setu või Võru murdes suitsu kohta.  Oletades, et paar või enam perekondi tulid sõja või rüüsteretkete pärast Mädapea kanti, või et neid kästi minna Mädapea mõisniku põldusid harima, siis suitsutaret ehitades tegid nad nii nagu oma endises kodus, tarest suitsu väljalaskmiseks ukse ülemisse osasse augu.  Sellest kujunes kohalike inimeste keeles uustulnukate paikkonna nimeks Sauukse.  Kohalikkudel suitsutaredel oli nimelt katuseviilus Olviauk ehk Unkaauk suitsu väljalaskmiseks tarest.  
            Põhjasõja ajal 1703.a.venelaste vägi põletas Saukse küla sedavõrd, et kindral Sheremetjev teatas tsaarile: "Kirde Eestis ja Põhja Liivimaal on kõik asulad hävitatud sedavõrd põhjalikult, et neid võib leida nüüd vaid maakaardilt.  Tuhanded mehed, naised ja lapsed koos hobuste ning veistega on teel Venemaale.  Kes ei suutnud käia raiuti tükkideks või tapeti piigitorkega.  Need kes pääsesid eluga põgenedes metsadesse või soodesse on nüüdsest peale kindlasti Teie Kõrgeaususe alandlikud alamad ja alluvad Teie valitsus-korrale."   Näib nii, et Saukse küla põletatud maa ala võeti Mädapea mõisa põldudeks, kuna tagasi pöördunud inimestest osa said ehitada oma maju põhja- osa aga lõunapoolsesse endise küla asupaika.  Osa põgenikest leidsid aga varjupaika ja asusid elama endise Saukse küla lähemasse või kaugemasse ümbruskonda.  Eesti Teede Atlases  2002/2003  on Saukse küla märgitud.  Ta kuulub Vandu valda ja seepärast tahetavat ta nime muuta Vanduks.
            Sugulased, kes elasid Rakvere mõisa haldusalal, kuid keda pole senini saanud seostada Saukside suguvõsaga.  
            Adramaade loenduses aastast 1739 Saukse Hansul oli üks kolmandik adramaad Mädapea külas.  Tal oli varsaga hobune, härg, ja naine alla 15 aastase pojaga.  Kahel päeval nädalas pidi ta hobusega mõisa tööle minema.  Ta pidi aastas 5 kopikat rahas maksma ja oma põllul kasvatatud toodangust väikese osa mõisa viima.  Järgmise adramaade loenduse ajal 1744.a. tal oli üks veerand adramaad põldu, 2 hobust, ja kaks poega ning üks tütar kõik alla 15 aasta vanuses.  Ta nimi oli nüüd Saukusse Hans.
            Rahvaloendusel aastal 1811 elas Wabo küla talus nr.13 talu peremees Sauk, Marti Hans *1761.  Samas elasid vend Maddi *1779 pojad Jaan *1800 ning Jurri *1804.  Maddi (suri) +1806.a.  Samas elas ka Sauk, Marti Mart (Saukase Mardi Mart) *1772 või 1773 oma 2 poja Micheli *1803 ja Maddisega *1807.
            Laanemõisa küla talu nr.4 peremees oli Sauk, Jaan *1730, +1804.
            Laanemõisa higede revisjoni registris 20. aprillist 1816 nr. 130 all on Sauk, Jaani poeg Saukasse Jaani Jaak *1773, ta naine Mai *1776 ning lapsed Hans *1802, Liso *1806, Leen *1809, Jaan * 1811,ja Jürri *1814.  Seal elasid ka peremehe vend Maddis *1781 ja Jaan *1787 oma naise An-ega *1790.  Aga peremehe vend Mart *1786  +1815.
            Sama hingede revisjoni registris nr.137 on kirjas Saukasse Mardi Hans *1762 ja ta naine Anno *1766.  Nende 2 poega Maddis Jaan *1805 ja Maddis Jürri * 1809  läksid kasulasteks  Torma külas elava Jaan ja Marri Tõnno juurde.  Saukasse Mardi Hansu tallu jäid elama Saukasse Mardi Mart * 1773, tema naine An *1777 ja nende lapsed Mai *1801, Michel *1804, Maddis *1808 ja Leen *1813.
      Ajas kõige kaugemas minevikus olev Saukside suguvõsa liige on Sauckese Hans/ Hans Saukse *1755.  Ta on Arvo vana-vana-vana-vanaisa. Tal oli talu Kurgvere külas, mis asub umbes 8-9 km Rakverest edelas, ja mis kuulus Mädapea mõisa maade hulka.  Talus elas ta poeg Jaan *(1791?) *1793, ja Hansu vend Tomas Saukse *1757 Kurgveres.  Tomase poeg Jurry *1793 naine oli Marri.  Neile sündis tütar Madli 2.mail 1838.  Madli ristiemadeks olid Uustalo Jaani tütar Leno Tõmmo, Tonno Kustase naine Liso Mahlberg, ristiisaks Koltsi Otto poeg Willem Kolts.  Selle pere edasist kasvu ei tea.
      Hans Sauksel võis olla veel üks poeg peale Jaani.
      Jaan Saukse on Arvo vana-vana-vanaisa.  Ta oli Kurgvere tuuliku möldriks.  Mary Anderson-Reisman-Hayward ütles ,et Jaan oli Rakverest vast 5 versta, so.5,35 km kaugusel asunud vesiveskis möldriks.  Richard Tammik väidab, et Rakvere mõisale kuulus vaid Nortsu vesiveski.  Jaan oli abielus kahel korral.  Ta teise naisega sündisid tütred Pajuste Kai ning Liisu, ja Vinni Mai.  Vinni Mai abiellus Jüri Milderiga.  Nende poeg oli pime.  Tütar Marri sündis 31. märtsil 1837, ja Marri (!) 22. juulil 1839.  Selle pere kasvu edasist käiku ei tea.  Pajuste ja Vinni on Rakverest veidi kagus olevad asundused.
      Jaan Saukse esimene naine oli Mari ehk Marri, nende tütart Mari tunti kui Aruküla ehk Auküla tädi, kes abiellus hr.Kalpusega.  Jaan Sauksel oli 2 poega.  Tõnu *1811, +1890, kel oli naiseks Juuli, kelle * ei tea, kuid ta +1870.  Nende perele järgnesid 5 põlvkonda.  Tõnu Saukse oli Kihlevere (Kiehlefer) Hollandi tüüpi tuuliku möldriks.   Tõnu otsustas ehitada Aukülasse uue tuuliku.  Tuuliku kiivri üles vedamiseks oli vaja 32 härja abi.  See veski püsis seal kuni 1939 aastani.  Jaan Saukse teine poeg oli Joosep Tõnis
      Joosep Tõnis Saukse *10.septembril1819 Kurgveres ja +1882 Kurgveres.  Ta oli Rõukme metsavaht, hiljem Mädapea mõisa rehepapiks.  Ta rentis 1871 a. mõisalt maalapi, mille eest ta pidi mõisale 4 päeva nädalas töötama.  Mõisnikuks oli von Wenderich.  Talveti oli ta küütis mõisa toodete vedamisega Narva.  Ta suri mingi südame häire tagajärjel.  Ta on maetud Tõrma kalmistule, mis asub Rakverest veidi edelasse.

Joosep Tõnis abiellus Jaan ja Leena tütre Mai Tiivasega, kes * 12.mail 1823 Karitsal, + 6.jaanuaril 1905 kui ta elas oma tütre Kai Karin Pralla juures Kurgveres. Ta maeti Tõrma kalmistule. Mai valas küünlaid, ja tal meeldis laulda sageli. Nende lapsed olid Kai *(15) 28.märtsil 1855, Liiso *(10) 23.jaanuaril 1866, Triinu, Leenu; Juhan abiellus Mai Tennebergiga ja nende perele järgnesid 5 põlvkonda, Jakob?, Toomas (aastast 1917 Timofei) * oktoobris 1860, Jaan * 24.mail 1863, Hans Joosep * (4) 16.novembril1857.

      Liiso sündis Kurgveres.  Ta rääkis oma tütar Reet Andile, et nende ühetoalises majas elas mitu perekonda, kes said omavahel hästi läbi.  Poisid magasid suure ahju peal.  Voodi all oli kanakuut, voodiposti küljes petrooleumilamp.  Riided, toidu tagavara ning vili peeti aidas.  Liiso "Liisale" õpetas lugemist ema. Ta oli 5 aastane, kui kirikuõpetaja tuli "katsuma" lugemisoskusi.  Liiso sai 2 raamatut oma hea lugemise eest.  Ta käis Järtu külakoolis, kus õpetajaks oli härra Jaan Aavik.  Karitsa külakooli õpetaja oskas viiulit mängida.  Kloodi kooli õpetaja oli ägeda iseloomuga ning tige.  Liiso oli 15 aastane kui ta isa suri.  Siis läks ta Mädapeal olevasse Olli tallu teenijaks.  Sügisel 1881 käis ta 3 nädala kestel leeris ja samuti 1882 a. kevadel. See oli esmakordselt, kus leerilapsed ei pruukinud kirikumõisas, selle aias või põldudel töötada, kuna Liiso õe Kai leeriskäimise ajal tüdrukud pidid lõnga ketrama ja õmblema päeva ajal, kusjuures leeriõpetust anti 2 tundi hommikuti ja 2 tundi õhtuti.  Kirikla teenija-tüdruk-karjatalitaja  magas tüdrukute magamisruumis.  Härrad Paucker ja Winkler hoolitsesid korra eest.  Härrad Saukas ja Hahn olid köstrid.  Liiso leeripäev oli 3.märtsil 1882 Rakvere luteri kirikus.     
      Liiso vend Hans töötas krahv Sieversile kuuluvas Kasti mõisas.  Kui Liiso sai 17 aastaseks, siis Hans vahendas talle teenija koha.  Ta jäi sinna vaid lühikeseks ajaks, et minna Tallinna majateenijaks ja lastehoidjaks.  Liisa abiellus pottsepp Jaan Andersoniga 3.oktoobril 1893.  Neil oli 7 last ja nende perele järgnesid 4 põlvkonda.  Liisa  + 1. aprillil 1954 Tallinn-Nõmmel ja on maetud Rahumäe kalmistule.
      Hans Joosep Sauks ("Papa") Arvo vanaisa * (4) 16. novembril 1857 Järtu külas.  Ta käis sealses külakoolis.  Tema leeripäev oli 6, aprillil 1875 Rakvere luteri kirikus.
      Ta oli 1879-da paiku krahv Sieversi toapoisiks, alul Kasti mõisas hiljem Peterburis.  Aastal 1882 Hans astus Peterburi eestlaste Jaani koguduse liikmeks.  Palmipuude pühal 1884.a. rääkis ta, et läheb Merjamäele (Märjamaale), kus ta oli ka 3.mail1886.
      Hans oli kevadel 1889 Tartus ja püüdis võluda Anna (Johanna) Marie Emilie Solli, Arvo vanaema, keda hüüti "Mammaks".  Emilie * (14) 27,jaanuaril 1864 Võisiku (Woiseck) vallas.  Teismelise eas, käis ta arvatavasti Tartu saksakeelses tütarlaste koolis.  Hans kirjutas ta poeesia raamatusse 30.mail 1889:et kõik tuuled ei lõhu, kõik sõjaväed ei valluta, kõik huuled ei ütle tõtt, kõigile mida näed ei saa kindlalt loota.  Seda salmi kirjutas ta 19.sajandi kirjakeeles:"Ei kahiu tee keik tuuled, ei wallata keik wäed, ei räägi tõtt keik huuled, ei kindlad keik mis näed".
      Hans ja Emilie abiellusid (30.juulil) 11.augustil 1889 Tartu Peetri kirikus.  Tütar Luise (Louise) "Lucy" * 26.aprillil 1890Tartus,  +23.oktoobril 1985 Tallinn-Nõmmel.  Eleonore "Noora" * (3) 15 veebruaril 1892 Tartus,  + 1. septembril 1903 Tallinnas.  Perekond elas 7.mail 1892 Vigalas, kus Hans oli parun Edgar von Üxkülli teenistuses.  Woldemar Karl "Wova ehk Volodia" * (27.märtsil) 8. aprillil 1893 Tallinnas,  + 23. juulil 1920 Tallinnas.   Nikolai Joosep "Nixi", Arvo isa *14.veebruaril 1895 Vigalas,  + 1.septembril 1920 Harju-Ristis, Padise vallas.  
      Vene revolutsiooni aegadel 1917/1918 Hans sõitis mitmel korral Peterburi, et sealt parun Üxkülli väärtasju ja vallasvara ära tuua.  Parunil oli otsus tehtud minna Saksamaale elama, kus ta ostis kinnisvara Reini jõe äärde.  Talle kuuluva nurgamaja Lai 15/Suur Kloostri 2 ja teine maja Nunne 9 jättis ta "Aktsia Klubile".  Klubi liikmeskond koosnes Balti sakslastest, kes jäid Eestisse peale maareformi või kes olid osalemas äriilmas, ettevõtteis või pangaduses.  Hansu õlgadele langes kinnisvarade järelvaatamine ja sellega seoses oleva kulutuste maksmine, üürirahade ja liikmemaksude sisse kasseerimine, lugemistuppa ajalehtede tellimine, kaardimängijaid tuliuute mängukaartidega varustamine, portjeena vaid klubi liikmete nende abikaasade või külaliste sisenemist lubamine, suuremate koosolekute või pidude puhul lisa abi leidmine ja palkamine, ja muidugi raamatupidamine.  Aastase bilanssi tegemisel tuli talle abiks õetütar Gerda Anderson, kes eestistas oma nime Reet Andiks.
      Aastal 1933 ostis ta majakese Hiiu ja Kivimäe vahel piki sanatooriumi krunti oleval Pikk, nüüd Sihi tänaval 109.  Oma tütre Lucy majandusliku toetusega toimus maja ümberehitus , ning Hansu õde Liisa oma perega tuli elama ülemisele korrusele.  Hans läks pensionile 1939 a.  Koos abikaasaga kolisid nad alumisele korrusele elama.   
      Hans suri 7.detsembril 1940.  Kui matuserong jõudis Kalamaja surnuaia lähedale, siis miilits peatas selle öeldes, et sellele kalmistule matmine on lõpetatud.  Emilie ja teiste valjud protesteerimised võitsid, ning Hans sai maetud oma tütre Nora, ja poja Wova kõrvale.  Nädal aega hiljem punaarmee masinad "pühkisid" kalmistu maaala siledaks Miinisadama kaitseks mõeldud õhutõrje patareidele.  Nüüd on Kalamaja park sellel alal.
      Nikolai Joosep "Nixi" Sauks, Arvo isa, * (2) 14 veebruaril1895 Vigalas,  + 1.septembril 1920 Harju-

Ristis. Ta käis Suur Kloostri tänaval asuvas Nikolai gümnaasiumis. Siis töötas ta linna apteekides apteegi õpilasena, kuni ta sooritas 28.veebruaril 1914 farmatseut-assistendi eksamid Tartu ülikooli juures. Esimese Maailmasõja ajal oli ta tsaari armees, küllap vist apteekrina. Millal ta tuli Tallinna tagasi, seda ei tea. Igatahes hakkas ta kurameerima Ida Marie Valdesega, kes töötas ka Tallinna apteekides. Ida *15.jaanuaril 1896 Kuusiku-Altveskil ja + 24.septembril 1944 Kohilas. Ta maeti Hageri kalmistule. Arvatavasti 1917. a. mõlemad otsustasid avada oma apteegi Harju-Ristil, Padise vallas. Kohalike tööjõudude abiga nad ehitasid rõhkpalkidest maja kirikut ümbritseva kalmistu vastu. Koos oma isa Hansu ja sõprade abiga sai apteek endale hea ravimite tagavara.

      Poeg Hans * 4.septembril 1918,  + aastal 1919.  Ida ütles, et sel ajal oli seal piirkonnas näljaaeg, ja tal ei jatkunud piima imikule, ega olnud Kirikkülas kedagi, kes oleks olnud ammeks.  
      Albert Erik * 28. märtsil 1920.  Ta isa suri 5 kuud hiljem, 1.septembril 1920.  Ühe foto järel otsustades võis ta isal olla kilpnäärme või ajuripatsi hormoonide üleproduktsioon, mis viisid südame ning neerude tüsistuseni.  Täditütar Helga teadis öelda, et ta olevat maja ehituse ajal endale liiga teinud.   Nii "Nixi" Nikolai, kui ka Hans maeti Risti vanale surnuaiale.  Aastal 1932 olid nende haudade raudristid koos vaskplaatidest nimesiltidega alles, kuid suveks 2002 olid need kadunud, ja see nurk kalmistust võsasse kasvanud sedavõrd, et nende hauaplatsi ei saanud enam kindlaks määrata.  Albert Erik võttis 20.septembril 1939 oma eesnimeks Arvo.  Seda tegi ta selleks, et oma sõbra Joachim Jervani vanemad annaksid Joachimile loa uueks eesnimeks võtta Raivo.  Peale sõja Saksamaal olles kasutas Arvo kõike kolme eesnime, aga Kanaada kodakondsust saades jättis ta Eriku välja.
      Arvo Albert (Erik)  Kooliskäimine algas tal aastal 1925/26, kui ta läks Tallinna tädi Anna hoolde.  Tädi Anna oli Helga perenaiseks 1921 aasta sügisest peale , kui Helga hakkas õppima pr. Lenderi tütarlaste erakoolis, Otto tuli sinna 1923/24.aastal kui ta hakkas käima Sackeni saksakeelses lasteaias Pikal tänaval.  Neile oli Kadriorus, Poska tänaval vanaproua Schifferi käest tuba üüritud.  Vanaproua neiupõlve nimi oli Valdes ja ta oli Sophie ja Ida onutütar.  Maja tagaõuest sai üle trummi parki minna.  Kõnniteel tõukerattaga sõites oli suurimaks ohuks kukkumine ja sellele järgnev verise, liivase marrastuse pesemine vesiniku ülihappe ja joodtinktuuriga.
      Enamlaste mässukatse ajal, 1.detsembril 1924 Otto rääkis koju naasnult, et ta ei saanudki lasteaeda minna, sest Pikal tänaval olid kotid pandud tänava peale, püssiotsad paistsid välja ... seal lasti püssi.  Helga ütles, et sel päeval kooli lähedal üks ärevuses olev naine jooksis kiiresti ... kutsus Lindat  ja hommiku hämaruses pidas Helgat  Lindaks.... koolis oli vaid mõni üksik õpilane ... õpetajaid puudus ... lauluõpetaja Reeder, kes elas kooli õuel, juhatas neid laulmises niikaua kuni emad tulid tütardele järele.  Üks emadest võttis Helga "oma tiiva alla" kojuminekuks.  
       Arvo tulekuga kõik kolm last magasid türgi diivanil ristipidi.    Konkaga sai sõidetud Kadrioru lõpupeatusest Vene turule.  Mootor trammi oli kõrge astme tõttu raske sisse ronida, haises bensiini ja õli järgi, ning sõites raputas ebameeldivalt.  Nii trammis, kui ka suhteliselt väikestes Ford omnibussides olid juhtidel kaasas ka piletimüüja. 
       Ükskord Otto ja Arvo ostsid trammiraha eest kompvekke ja hakkasid jala kodu poole astuma.  Helga saadeti poisse otsima.  Ta leidis neid iga poe vaateakna taga peatuvat , et uurida neid asju mida näidati.  Kevadel 1926 Ott arvas, et oleks põnev näha Kopli sadamat.  Poole tee peal, punaste kasarmute juurde jõudnult, olid Arvvo jalad nii väsinud, et ta jäi seisma.  Ott ütles, et seda ei või teha, sest venelased tulevad kasarmust ja hakkavad meid kolkima.  Keerasime ümber ja Arvo jalad kandsid teda ilusti koju!  Kord Ott rääkis sadamas olevast sillast, mis keerab iseendast  kaldale, et laeva läbi lasta.  See tundus mulle udujutuna, sest istusime hulk aega silla juures, kuid ei see liikunud kuhugi! 
       Kohila paberivabriku lasteaias käis Arvo 1926 a. sügisest kuni suve alguseni1927 a.
       Arvo sai oma alg- ja keskhariduse Jakob Westholmi koolis Tallinnas 1927. kuni 1938. a.
       Arsti kutse saavutamiseks käis Arvo 3 aastat Tartu ülikoolis, aasta Giesseni ülikoolis ja kaks ja pool aastat Heidelbergi ülikoolis Saksamaal.  Sealsed riigieksamid olid tal sooritatud 20. jaanuariks 1950 a., ning Kanaadas 28. juuniks 1956. a.  Kolmeaastase psühhiaatrilise väljaõppe sai ta 1956 -1959 aastani "Western University" juures London, Ontarios.  Oma tööga Ontario osariigi vaimuhaiglates hakkas ta peale 1952 a. jaanuaris Penetanguishenes, ja lõpetas 31. mail 1993. a. North Bays.    
         Arvo abiellus Maimo Andersoniga 1.septembril 1945.a. Brenzi jõe äärses Heidenheimis.  Neile sündisid kolm last, kes kõik on ülikooli haridusega.  Toomas Peeter on perearstiks Owen Soundis Ontarios,  Mati Arno oli kekkooli-gümnaasiumi õpetajaks on aga nüüd Ottawas kompuuteri tarkvara arhitektiks, ning Tiina Anne Burns on Edmontonis, Alberta osariigis, linna haruraamatukogu juhatajaks ning lektoriks kohalikus kolledshis raamatukogunduse alal..