Monday Recap for June 16, 2014
We hope everyone had a great Father’s Day weekend! Here’s a few articles to kickstart your week.
Image: Returned photos reveal a father never known, 50-year-old promise kept / Stripes.com
The Genealogy Sphere
- The world’s largest family reunion…we’re all invited! (TED) – Check out author AJ Jacobs’s entertaining TED talk about the Global Family Reunion
- Eight decades in the wrong grave: Mac map collection helps solve family mystery (TheSpec.com) – A man solves a family mystery after historical maps lead him to his ancestor’s grave
- Returned photos reveal a father never known, 50-year-old promise kept (Stripes.com) – A Japanese man keeps his promise to an America soldier and returns his personal possessions to his family after 50 years
- Archaeologists unearth 40 Confederate corpses in Virginia cemetery 154 years later (DailyMail UK) – Archaeologists in Virginia make an amazing discovery
- Next-Best Thing to Living Next Door to Your Idol (The New York Times) – If you could be interred next to your idol, would you do it?
- To Discover What Life Was Like in 19th Century D.C., a Smithsonian Scientist Investigates a Tomb (Smithsonian) – Very interesting article about how the remains of a 1835 vault reveals the history of a famous Washington family
- How to Tell Someone’s Age When All You Know is Her Name (FiveThirtyEight.com) – Interesting way to estimate a person’s age using their name
- A History of the First World War in 100 Moments: The soldier and the letter-writer – a lady with a notepad who gave comfort to the dying (The Independent UK) – The story of Mary Bradford, who wrote letters to loved ones on behalf of injured soldiers
- Monday Recap for June 2, 2014 – Last roundup of genealogy articles
- We’re Heading to Jamboree 2014! – Our quick guide to what’s in store for Jamboree 2014
- SCGS Genealogy Jamboree 2014 Recap – A recap of Jamboree 2014 with pictures
- Father’s Day: Memories with Dad – Share with us some of your favorite memories with your dad