If they are female and married, I give them their husbands last name then reload the merge center page. If I then find matches, I act on them. Then edit the profile to remove the married name if it is not appropriate for the era I have removed as many as 100 so called matches that way. If that doesn't work, I just compare a few a day as I have time.
Erica "the Disconnectrix" Howton They show up in my merge center.and then I can't complete the merge. The only way I see to solve the problem is to go to the private profile and then message the manager. I believe that Geni notifies the manager of merge requests, so they should be done without someone contacting them. I am working on over 50 emails from Geni this morning. I look at them and resolve anything I can such as multiple parents, strange locations (USA before 1776, UK before 1700 or UK instead of England, Scotland etc.)
I have a problem with what Geni seems to think is an acceptable level of ridiculous matches that couldn't possibly be matches. If profile 1. is female with a maiden name and married name matches should not be appearing for females of the same first name, different birth name and married to someone with her birth name.
See this example with OVER 485 'matches':
At a glance I would say the majority, if not all, are not matches at all.