Collaborate on Pooling Resources from Record Match Sites

Started by Sharon Doubell on Saturday, October 22, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 20 posts
10/22/2011 at 4:26 AM

The good news of Geni’s actively pursuing external partnerships and introducing a "record match" field (See the geni blog, footer of every page, for details) is a bit dampened by the fact that we have to pay for these sites too, so as a subsidiary if this thread: http://www.geni.com/discussions/101860?msg=748386 I thought we should start A THREAD WHERE PEOPLE WITH SUBSCRIPTIONS TO OTHER GENEALOGY SITES, HELP OTHERS TO SEARCH, AND SHARE THE DATA HERE.
Willem Breet said “Excellent idea, Sharon please start a project where we can list Curators/pros and managers with other web subscriptions.” Kenneth Kwame Welsh, (C) agreed.

10/22/2011 at 4:27 AM

So…

Private User
= Sharon! I'm already stretched to the limit with my Ancestry subscription and can't afford to add more membership fees to my budget, so the whole "record match" thing isn't very helpful for me. I'd be so happy to "trade" with others by doing Ancestry searches for them if they could help me with some of the "records match" stuff!=

10/22/2011 at 4:27 AM

And...

Willem Breet
=Then we can cross subsidise our info, I am with Anchestry24=

Private User
10/22/2011 at 4:58 AM

To my modest opinion GENIE should learn from Dutch bancier RABOBANK how it can develope COOPERATIVE share-Holders with yes/no collaboraties à/o curatores to pay in EURO, DOLLAR, SHEKEL, YEN, etc. And earn some pension after several years of spending all your spare time for THEIR SCIENTIFICAL SEARCH results !

10/22/2011 at 5:14 AM

A lot of the pay site get information from the internet, that is free available.I see them scanning my website and then asking others to pay for the information.

Finding the information with a search engine like Google can be a bit complicated. You can see an example on how to do this at http://jjw0.comze.com/indext.htm

Just click on a family name to show the people I have information about with this family name. Click on a p or c link to see what information I have on that person or press search to find additional information about. the person on the internet.

When you press search so will see how I use Google to search for additional information. If you like to know more start a new conversation and I will try to explain there.

10/22/2011 at 5:54 AM

Job

Just for your info the website - http://jjw0.comze.com/indext.htm

is being block by my antivirus program -
Trend Micro, Titanium, Maximum security

maybe because it also identifies Familty Tree Builder 5.1 from myheritage.com as a virus

Private User
10/22/2011 at 6:24 AM

Do you speak, read or write GERMAN? If so, please join : http://www.geni.com/projects/International-German-Portal

mit vielen GRUSSchEN, jeannette.

10/22/2011 at 10:02 AM

Brendan,

You could try http://jjw0.woelmuis.nl/db_new/index.htm instead.
It is a bit slower most of the time, but has the same information.

Private User
10/22/2011 at 10:07 AM

Thanks, Sharon, for starting this thread!

I have Ancestry Worldwide and will be glad to help anyone who needs searches there.

10/22/2011 at 10:10 AM

The blocking of the sites (woelmuis may also be blocked) is probably because they are free providers and there are probably sites hosted there that have content that the virus scanners see as dangerous, so they block the site. They just do it for all sites on those domains and that is not nice.

10/22/2011 at 10:51 AM
10/25/2011 at 9:08 AM

Would anyone like to share the cost of an Ancestry World account with me and some others? It's $19.95/mo (due up front) right now, so that's $79.80 if we have 3 people sharing, $59.85 for 4, and $39.90 for 5 people.

Private User
10/25/2011 at 9:33 AM

Catherine, I just paid for a year of Ancestry World. I'd love to share, do you think it would work to have people apply their portion to extending the subscription? In other words, if you paid $39, that would extend the subscription by two months. What do you think?

10/25/2011 at 10:46 AM

I dunno! Will Ancestry bill for just 2 months? I thought for whatever plan you chose (monthly or yearly subscription) you had to pay the whole amount at once. I would be fine with sharing the cost of an existing account, though.

Private User
10/25/2011 at 11:16 AM

I know you can pay monthly because that's the way I did it before I bought the year-long. But either way would be fine with me. I just really like the idea of helping each other out - it benefits all of us when we team up to share costs or save time! ;-)

10/25/2011 at 1:24 PM

Ancestry.com at least says that if you pay monthly, it's $35 a month. The $19.95 is for a year subscription and you have to pay the whole year at once: http://www.ancestry.com/subscribe/signup.aspx The star at the bottom says "All annual memberships billed in one payment." That is at least for a new account.

Private User
10/25/2011 at 1:34 PM

Oh, well, I was paying 19.95 a month but it wasn't for world. Then I grabbed the special deal for the year that you just quoted because it gave me the same price I was already paying but included world records (not just US access).

This is too complicated, my brain hurts !lol

10/25/2011 at 7:45 PM

I would be happy to contribute to the cost of your account for the privilege of sharing your account. What would you suggest?

Private User
10/27/2011 at 11:35 PM

@catherine erin serafind liora etcetera: wouldn't i be nice to have a sort of 'foundation GENI-LOVERS fondation' where we give all our ancestry money to save it in permafrost for next generations... I mean, we can ask a loyal banciers to give us the opportunity to make a sort of a bank where we all share our new money -in whatever kind of valuta, my chinese is not good enough to pay in yen or something liek that, and then be member of that foundation first to be f.i. a SM = special member or MP = master member or C = member of the curatorium or .... well, I just awaked with some young one in my gest-house, so think all about it please. by, jMu.

Private User
10/30/2011 at 6:39 PM

Okay, Erin and I are now sharing an Ancestry account and we're now accepting applications for three more people to share with us! We're looking for people with compatible personalities to share Ancestry World access for one year. The cost is $40 each. Please contact either of us via Geni-mail if you're interested.

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion