Started by Hatte Blejer on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Muriel
    Geni member
Showing all 7 posts
2/15/2012 at 10:15 AM

Muriel

Based on the small amount of research I did on Johnny Clegg's mother's family, his grandparents settled in this area, so I assume that you may want to add them to the project. Nice work so far, I'm hoping I can help with research on the Lithuanian side in the areas that I have been doing research on (Shavli/Siauliai, Trakai, Suwalki, and Lomza regions various towns). We should be able to tie the SA and Rhodesia and Nyasaland immigrants back to their ancestors in Lita in many instances and from there to their relatives who went to America, UK, and Canada.

2/15/2012 at 2:54 PM

Found the Death notice for father Harry Braudo died in 1956 Johannesburg
Wife's name Rosalie - 2 daughters named on the DN - n mention of a son
Birth place Vidz

http://photos.geni.com/p13/47/f7/37/b1/534448398bebded4/56_braudo_o...

2/15/2012 at 3:42 PM

Fantastic. Did you attach it to the profile? You'll see his birthname on his profile, and I knew that they were Litvaks, but it looks like the name of the town of origin might be Vishnevetz. I can now search for that name (not Braudo which is what they changed their name to I believe) in Jewish Gen (www.jewishgen.org). I wanted to see where they came from and perhaps find their parents / siblings to extend Muriel Braudo's tree.

I knew that she moved to J'burg and it makes sense that they moved the father there too when he got older.

2/15/2012 at 3:51 PM

Vidzy [Rus, Bel], Widze [Pol], Vidzh [Yid], Vidžiai [Lith], Vydžiai, Vidz, Vidzi, Vidze This is likely the town. In Belarus.

http://data.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.dll?jg~jgsys~community~-1951282

In NW Belarus, 22 miles SW of Braslaw, 34 miles S of Daugavpils (Dvinsk), near the borders with Lithuania and Latvia.

Makes perfect sense since Harry's original last name means "from Braslaw" (Braslowsky)

2/15/2012 at 4:17 PM

Their name might have been both Braslawsky and Broude since some families had several surnames often while surnames were being imposed, one that was toponymic and one that was older.

2/15/2012 at 9:56 PM

Good morning Hatte

Yes - I attached the document to his profile - hopefully it has given you something to work with!

2/16/2012 at 2:09 PM

I'll do my best. Records are often sparse and I don't know Vidz or Belarus well, but I just started looking at Belarus for another family, so will learn it as I go.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion