Non-pros can now complete merges

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Friday, August 3, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 31-60 of 60 posts
Private User
8/7/2012 at 7:55 PM

(Jill) Robinson - Now that we know you are supposed to be able to merge ANY profile you can edit -- any chance you can give more specifics on ones where you get the Ad for Pro instead of the merge going thru? (for example - same problem from both the blue circle in tree view and from Merge Requests (not Tree Matches) in your Merge Center - etc - and/or see list above)

8/9/2012 at 3:44 PM

I think we found the bug that was prohibiting some users from accepting merges. Also, we added a pro icon next to any merges that you cannot act on without upgrading. All users should be able to accept a merge on profiles that they have edit rights on. Let us know if you encounter any more trouble with the feature.

8/9/2012 at 3:45 PM

(Jill) Robinson and Michael P. Vinegrad, can you try again? We think we fixed the issue you may have been encountering. Keep in mind that this change only allows you to accept requests on profiles that you can edit. If you are just confirming that two profiles should be merged, but not accepting the merge, you will still go to the upgrade screen.

8/19/2012 at 1:56 PM

Maybe I have missed the window of opportunity - but it still won't let me merge

8/19/2012 at 4:02 PM

So all 58 merge requests that are in my daughter's 'merge center' are not mergeable by her. Because every one of them has a pro icon beside it. Why bother to notify her in the first place? Are they just trying REALLY hard to get her to upgrade?

8/19/2012 at 8:16 PM

Can you please post the profiles that you are unable to merge?

8/19/2012 at 8:36 PM

Yup - checked mine and they all have Pro next to them. That's OK - they want my info to merge with theirs, so I'm not too bothered.

Private User
8/19/2012 at 11:19 PM

I don't think Geni have closed that window yet, but remember: If you have merge issues with profiles in an unconnected tree nobody, not even curators, have access to merge them unless the manager of the unconnected tree approves you as a collaborator for public profiles or family group member for private profiles.
Once ONE profile is merged and the tree is connected it would open up for general permissions to merge for Pro users or approve for none-Pro users.

Repeat after me: Collaborate, collaborate, collaborate ;-)

8/20/2012 at 2:41 PM

Bjorn, I can't collaborate with people in my family that have abandoned their trees! They just got discouraged and left when Geni changed the rules. I think I'm the only hold out left, and I don't plan on leaving!

8/20/2012 at 4:57 PM

One trick I use is to "follow" people who don't respond. The message they get "Randy Schoenberg is following you!" is so creepy, that sometimes it brings them back to Geni just to see what it is all about. Try it and let me know if it works for you too.

Private User
8/20/2012 at 7:06 PM

I do the same as Randy. I also send them collaboration requests, which makes them curious about where we might have a connection. Works about half the time for me.

I'm also now in the habit of including notes about how non-Pros can complete merges. That seems to have an impact in swaying people to come back.

8/20/2012 at 11:14 PM

Ashley would you share your explanation of how non-pros can complete merges? I would love to send that too. I have a number of relatives who have note responded so I will try Randy's creepy suggestion!!

8/21/2012 at 12:41 AM

I'll tell you what I do when I see a match.

1. Check that the manager is active. PROs can see "activity.". Curators can also see "last online."
2. If active, send a collaboration request (public profiles) / Family Group request (private profiles)
3. Under the standard text, add "I believe there is a match: (copy & paste THEIR profile URL). If you agree, please accept this request, and then the merge request, separately sent."

Seems to work.

Private User
8/21/2012 at 12:43 AM

Kitty Munson Cooper, merging is now open to non-Pros. Try one of your pending requests. :) Non-Pros cannot initiate a merge, but you can complete them if one is requested of you.

Private User
8/21/2012 at 12:44 AM

Oops, I see now that you are Pro yourself. So yes, just mention to people in your messages that they can complete requested merges.

8/21/2012 at 11:46 AM

Non-pros can still complete requested merges. If you see a pro icon next to a merge in the requested merge section of your merge center, it most likely means that you can agree that those profiles should be merged, but not complete that merge.

Sorry for the confusion. We are working to make the merge center less confusing and easier to use.

8/21/2012 at 11:58 AM

Michelle, one excellent way to make the merge center less confusing and easier to use would be to give us the option of hiding pending merges that we [users] cannot complete at that moment.

8/21/2012 at 1:02 PM

+1 to David's suggestion. David, maybe you can add it as a feature request.

Private User
8/21/2012 at 3:42 PM

Is there any way of deleting a suggested merge?

On several occasions I've clicked 'No, these profiles are different' when asked to approve a merge.

The profiles then reappear in the suggested merge list as new entries. Someone will initiate the merge, and I'm back where I started. Eight profiles have come back six times so far.

I've found it easier to just ignore them, and have a messy looking tree.

8/21/2012 at 4:35 PM

Kenneth, you have come to the correct conclusion. Leave them stacked (with the blue dot) and be patient... VERY patient. Geni may one day come to their senses and give us a way to resolve them properly.

8/21/2012 at 5:33 PM

Does it work to "remove tree match" ? I do that all the time. No idea of success though.

Private User
8/21/2012 at 6:26 PM

I'm a Basic member - that option is not available.

Now that Basic members can decline a merge, it doesn't help - they just recycle.

The Pro members that initiated the merges will be upset as they won't know I declined the merge. The only indication will be that the profiles are back in their Merge Centre - so they will try again.

8/21/2012 at 7:48 PM

And round it goes ... So basic members need the ability to remove match that PROs have.

8/21/2012 at 8:03 PM

I'm not sure that I'm seeing it correctly, but what I think I see is that if I'm approving a merge, and say No these are different, they don't get tagged as being different. But, I do a search and compare profiles, and I say they're different, then the match is removed. Is that possible, or am I missing something?

8/21/2012 at 9:51 PM

I think that's what's happening Justin. There seems not a way to end the incorrect match from the merge center. I remove most from the "tree match" that comes up when I visit a profile.

8/22/2012 at 4:39 AM

Justin and Erica: If we're talking about true mismatches, then you are correct. Rejecting an incorrect pending merge does NOT also remove the tree match. You need to do that separately- a definite pain in the rear.. And as Kenneth points out, basic users don't have access to the tree matching (and unmatching) feature.

Dave K.

8/30/2012 at 1:14 PM

Does anyone have an incorrect pending merge that I can use as a test?

8/30/2012 at 1:17 PM

I have a requested merge that won't seem to go away from the merge center.

http://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000006708386705?return=merge_...

Menachem Yeshayahu Hacohen Shwartz

8/30/2012 at 1:22 PM

I also have a bunch of tree conflicts that I would like to hide from the list. Either I do not have enough permissions to resolve the conflict, or, in the case of adoptions, I want to keep the conflicts.

8/30/2012 at 5:02 PM

We just released an update that should alleviate this issue. When you decline a merge request, it should now be removed as a match for all users. Private User, give it a try and see if it helps.

Showing 31-60 of 60 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion