Let's build up the Jewish Genealogy Portal

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Monday, November 26, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 116 posts
12/1/2012 at 8:31 PM

Hope your sinus infection has now cleared up Hatte and that Ariela is feeling better.

12/1/2012 at 9:09 PM

I don't have the time or energy to do it myself, but I would think that Pittsburgh would be a ripe subject, especially as one of the seats of Reform Judaism in the US.

There are large German and Eastern European populations there. I'm pretty sure there's a sizeable Suwalki contingent other than my Wolk family, for starters, and Frankfurt.

12/19/2012 at 5:35 PM

Agree that Pittsburgh would be a good project. I am very overloaded with work still, but could take on one project after the New Year. I'll have to think about where I'd like to focus.

Private
1/5/2013 at 2:25 PM

Well, it's the New Year and as promised, I'm willing to help with the NYC/Philadelphia/Richmond early America project. I thought that a good place to start would be with Haym Salomon, a financier who helped fund the American Revolution. I've been reading a lot about late 18th century America and re-discovered Mr. Salomon in a book I'm reading "The Founders and Finance". He lived in New York City and Philadelphia and was born in Poland. He's in the Stern Genealogies so take a look and if you would like me to run with it I will....I'm not sure how this is going to work exactly. Thanks and Happy New Year, Julia

Private
1/6/2013 at 1:34 PM

Hyam's name is not highlighted, so I guess that means that I should just start a tree for him. I'm new to Geni so I will proceed cautiously, thanks.

1/6/2013 at 2:38 PM

He is already at Haym Moses Salomon, Sr.

2/17/2013 at 11:39 PM

Please help build the portal by inviting more collaborators. It's not all about numbers, but the more collaborators and followers we have for the Jewish Genealogy Portal, the better it (and our discussions) will be. By way of comparison only, and to give you an indication of what can be done, the Norwegian Portal has 756 collaborators. We have just 117. So, please go over your collaborators and invite them to our Jewish Genealogy Portal.

2/28/2013 at 6:38 PM

I had already started a Trenton, NJ Jewish Project prior to this project. I have a fairly large (about 1,000 names) of Trenton Jews, but I still have tons to go.

There is a Philly Jewish genealogical society <http://www.jewishgen.org/jgsp/&gt; which would be a terrific resource for anyone working on Philly.

After Passover, I'll be more free to help out with Philly.

If anyone is interested in Trenton, NJ, please join at <http://www.geni.com/projects/Trenton-Jewish-Community/9083&gt;.

2/28/2013 at 6:46 PM

For Haym Solomon, his shul, Mikvah Israel, is still thriving. Mikvah Israel also has info on the Gratz tree.

3/2/2013 at 8:00 AM

Thanks Mark. That's great.

152 collaborators and climbing. Can we get to 200? Please invite more folks to join the project.

3/2/2013 at 8:30 AM

Mark Harold Melmed - which GRATZ tree you're reffering to ?

I am searching for family of Joseph Wolf GRATZ + Cheyle MARKUS >> parents of Bejle GRATZ Born: 1737 Died: 1818
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~prohel/names/loew...

3/2/2013 at 8:52 AM

Or better, his descendant Rabbi Jonathan Gratz

3/2/2013 at 9:36 AM

I'm still interested in Charleston/Abbeville, Peoria, Philadelphia, the Tri-City Region (Rock Island), Alton, and Pittsburgh. I just don't have a lot of time to work on a project. But if others choose one of these, I'll pitch in. I can set the project up and research families.

3/2/2013 at 9:42 AM

@Peter Rohel: Rebeccah Gratz's family: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Gratz&amp;gt;. <Rebecca Gratz>.

I have no idea if Rebeccah Gratz's Philadelphia family is related to your Joseph Wolf Gratz.

3/2/2013 at 9:45 AM

Philly Jewish genealogists have noted over the years that a lot of Philly Jewish immigrants (from 1880 to 1920, or so) came from the Ukraine. No one knows why, but they see it in records. I am not from the Ukraine, but it might be interesting to start a Jewish-Ukraine-Philadelphia project.

3/2/2013 at 10:04 AM

Private,

I have about 80 pages or so to go in entering all of Stern's work. As I am typing in this message, I am currently working on the last of the Nathan families and will then be working on the Nathans families.

3/2/2013 at 10:12 AM

I suggest whatever we do, we coordinate with the corresponding local Jewish genealogical society.

I am interested in Philly genealogy, but in the 1880-1920 timeframe, not the earlier S'fardic or German immigrants.

There are several good books on the Jewish community in Philly.

There were lots and lots of synagogues, but really only a few Jewish neighborhoods. It might be a good idea to break it down by neighborhood. We might be able to build up trees around census records (oh my, that would be a huge undertaking!)?

There are also old Jewish immigration bank records that exist online - perhaps we can create trees around them (another huge undertaking).

Wouldn't it be great if Geni.com could come up with a way of linking these digital outputs directly into Geni.com format?

3/2/2013 at 10:16 AM

@Julia Mann: Also, since you are new to Geni.com, try not to create a lot of duplicate profiles. It is much easier to take your time and avoid duplication, than it is to merge the duplicates.

3/2/2013 at 10:26 AM

My Philly relatives came from Trakai Gubernia (Ratnycia) and Suwalki Gubernia (Pzerosl) in Lithuania / Poland. They were Frankels, cousins of one another, and she was my great grandfather Harry Frankel's sister. All the other siblings settled in Illinois eventually.

3/2/2013 at 10:28 AM

My interest is generally the 1880 - 1920 immigration also since it was very large and will add a lot of great and useful information to the tree. I did have some ancestors come 1850 - 1870, also from Suwalki, relatives of those who came en masse later.

3/2/2013 at 11:10 AM

1. I need some clarification. Are we talking about classifying our own family trees along more generic (geographical, etc.) lines, or are we talking about adding more names to the pool of Jews, and then sort out the tree links? These are two rather different concepts, I think.

2. My Philly family is from Ponives, Lithuania (MELMED and SCHNEIDER) (and environs); Iasi, Rumania (SCHALLER, BERKOWITZ) by way of Gorlice, Galicia (SCHREIBER); and Kishinev (ACKER) - all between 1890 and 1920. They all went to either Philly or South Africa.

3. My first wife's family is from Alexandria, Egypt (ABOUDI, HAROUCHE). They wound up everywhere, including Philly, Brazil, and Israel.

4. My second wife's family is from Lodz, Poland (REICHBART) and wound up everywhere.

3/2/2013 at 11:29 AM

Mark Harold Melmed - thanks, Gratz Philly family. Have them in my ancestor's About:

Joseph Wolfgang Grätz

If any has a Path to the Philly Gratz family (below) - could you plase send me Your shared link ?

Rabbi Jonathan Gratz

3/2/2013 at 12:06 PM

@Peter Rohel: I'm not sure what you are asking, but here is the link to Rebecca Gratz's profile: <Rebecca Gratz>.

3/2/2013 at 12:17 PM

Mark Harold Melmed - I had a typo - if someone is Related to Rebecca or someone in their family - could they post Their Path link here ?

That would possibly allow me to find a Path to them - even if they're possibly Not Related - to my Gratz ancestor.

3/2/2013 at 12:24 PM

In another project, @Hatte Anne Blejer wrote an objective as, to "collect, correct, and extend profiles" geographically.

If that is a goal, I suggest we organize around a project of building a "Jewish South Philly Tree". We can start with the census data and use that to add each Jewish family to our world wide tree, of course, merging where possible. I can map out the streets of interest in South Philly and that would pick up a great deal of Philly's Jews. This is a very big undertaking, and requires a great deal of planning and coordination.

There are several alternatives to census records: cemetery records, synagogue records, Jewish immigrant bank records, BMD records, obit records, to name a few. I vote for census records because they are complete, relatively accurate, broken into family units, and cover an entire community.

If this sounds at all reasonable, I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know if Ancestry.com, or another source, allows for a street by street search for census data? I am only accustomed to doing a search by surname.

2. Is it best to start with the 1940 census and work down to 1900, or the 1900 census and work up?

I am sure these ideas can be applied to other communities as well.

3/2/2013 at 1:16 PM

I personally start with the early period and work forward. That is for three reasons: (1) I am interested in connecting to the families in Europe wherever possible and also making connections between families helps research roots -- people who were Landsmen in the 1880s married each other, formed burial societies, and so on; (2) I would prefer that living descendants join Geni and build their own branches and find their grandparents or great grandparents and connect to the tree; (3) living profiles need to be treated with care, kept private unless they are celebrities and all the information is widely known or within our own families and we choose to make them public. So I stop usually with the generation that has passed away and maybe private mature adult children.

3/2/2013 at 1:20 PM

So I would prefer to start with 1900 census or even the census before that. I would also look at military and nationalization records and ship manifests at the same time because I would be trying to find out where they immigrated from and perhaps tie them to a family in the country of origin.

I have not done a street by street search. This is a good, well-structured plan Mark Harold Melmed.

3/3/2013 at 12:08 PM

FYI - I found the "long path" to the - Gratz family of Philadelphia - 51st cousin 17 times removed's wife's 2nd great grandfather:

http://www.geni.com/path/Peter+Rohel+is+related+to+Rabbi+Jonathan+G...

*previous pg. post: http://www.geni.com/discussions/115323?msg=856092

Showing 31-60 of 116 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion