Geni member needs help with "generations between"

Started by Erica Howton on Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
2/27/2013 at 1:51 PM

My collaborator Reverend Theresa Lanier Miller is finishing up her DAR chapter application has been working with her state chapter chair person.

Her qualifying ancestor is:

Benjamin Bird Lanier, I

And there are 2 others.

She's having trouble documenting the 3 generations from Jacob Lanier, Benjamin Bird Lanier, Jr and Sr.

Anyone able to offer any research assistance or suggestions? I believe Theresa does have Ancestry.com access.

2/27/2013 at 6:50 PM

http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search_descendants/?act...

This is a link to an approved DAR application. It has Fred McKoy in the lineage as does Reverend Theresa Lanier Miller. Theresa if I am correct you can have the last 4 generations given to you on a silver platter.

2/27/2013 at 7:25 PM

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=2229282&...;

This is a link to a McKoy cemetery where several family members are buried. It looks like Elizabeth Taylor McKoy was the second wife of Fred. Theresa, I rather imagine you are quite familiar with this cemetery.

2/28/2013 at 5:29 AM

Yes, Faustine, I am well familiar with this cemetery. My parents and brother are buried there. It is quite beautiful. I'm traveling down to NC over the weekend for a family funeral and will, of course, be visiting it. Thanks for your kindness. I am a bit confused, though. I know that Benjamin Bird Lanier, Sr. is a DAR ancestor; it's just been very difficult to obtain approved documentation between the last three generations. I never thought of using the McKoy side-no one in the family ever mentioned that kind of lineage. I went to the link you gave me and it does not allow me to see the the first three generations. Do you have those generations? I just found that Fred served in the CSA only a couple of weeks ago. I know nothing about him.
How does it have my name on it? Forgive my confusion-and shock! I've dug up a lot on the Lanier side and very little on the McKoy's. My grandmother, Libbie McKoy Lanier, raised me after my mother's death in 1953. Her old maid sister, Ada McKoy, was another mother to me. I have noticed that some of the women in the DAR have two, and sometimes three DAR ancestors. I'll apply under both. Again, thanks, Theresa

2/28/2013 at 6:28 AM

Reverend Theresa Lanier Miller,
The connection I found that is common to your direct ancestors & to the DAR database is Fred(erick) McKoy of the Civil War era. One of your cousins, (maybe 3rd or 4th cousins) went into DAR on Sgt. Constantine Whitfield. That is great for you, because you can use your cousin's DAR # http://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search_member/?Action=f... on your application starting with Fred McKoy & you don't have to have proofs from Fred on to Constantine Whitfield. You will go in under his 2nd? wife Elizabeth Taylor, so you should submit whatever you can find for her. (She was buried in the above mentioned cemetery.)
The DAR ancestor number 746717 represents a cousin that very likely is still living. In order to "see" the complete application, you have to PURCHASE it online. If you look at the link I sent for 746717, then click on the Ancestor # it will take you to a page that shows all approved applications for that Patriot. There is only one (746717) application that goes down your line through Fred McKoy. If you click the PURCHASE button, for $10.00 on your cc, you will get through email a scanned copy of the complete application minus the first page (which you don't need anyway). You will be able to see the last 3 generations & the applicants name. I have done this many times & it just takes a few minutes and the application will be in your hands. On the back page, there will be proofs for Fred's generation on to present. That may offer clues to you of proofs that are available.
Some Patriots are easy to "prove" & others may be difficult. I am suggesting that this one maybe quite "easy".

2/28/2013 at 6:46 AM

Faustine, I did research Constantine Whitfield and he is my 5th ggf. I already have the sources for myself, my father and his mother. I should be able to get sources on Frank McKoy -he is buried in the cemetery along with his father, Fred , and their wives. I am still amazed. I've concentrated on the Lanier and Cavanaugh sides to the exclusion of the McKoy and England. Speaking of the Cavanaugh's; they are a family of soldiers. I discovered them fighting and dying in all the wars, excluding the Revolutionary War. The last one who died for his country died on June 6, 1944 on the beach in France.That 2xggm is Rebecca Cavanaugh. It's sometimes spelled, Cavenaugh. I will pay for the info on the DAR site. Right now, I have to get to work several hours early due to a very large sale I have to enter. Thanks for all your help.

2/28/2013 at 7:26 AM

You are welcome.

Private User
2/28/2013 at 8:57 AM

Sr. to Jr. - listed in father's will ( see Benjamin Bird Lanier, I profile with new info)

Jr. to Jacob - I cant find any proof, and there were other Laniers he could have been relate to.

5/31/2020 at 10:51 PM

I have DAR relitive stuff off with him. Could someone look at him. A001311.

Harmonas I. Alkire, Sr.

Billie

6/1/2020 at 5:36 PM

Hello Billie June Keaffaber, I am looking at Harmonas Alkire.

6/1/2020 at 6:04 PM

Thanks Faustine,
There some stuff on him not quite sure about there DAR dates and marriages bit off and I really don’t want to screw his stuff up to bad. Found stuff on him. Thank you

Billie

6/1/2020 at 6:13 PM

Faustine,

This same person different date.

Harmonas I. Alkire, Sr.

Same wife in both them.

Billie

6/1/2020 at 6:22 PM

Billie June Keaffaber,
Henry McCauley married to Sarah Alkire are in the DAR database going up to Harmonas Alkire. The generation in between Sarah and Harmonas is not the same as what you have in your tree. Take a look at this link:

https://services.dar.org/Public/DAR_Research/search_descendants/?ac...

6/6/2020 at 9:14 AM

This person has warning on DAR file could someone look at make sure I put in correctly in profile.

Hugh B. Cunningham

Billie

6/10/2020 at 7:43 AM

Hello Billie June Keaffaber. You did great! I added the DAR link and disconnected 3 children. The established children belong to a different couple. I will fix that.

Thank you!!

6/10/2020 at 8:20 PM

Faustine,
I just trying to help but that all. I wondering if some this line could be talking about 2 people though as it didn’t seem totally Correct. According to the DAR records found. But it may be two different states records not mingling togeather right I seen that happen. Maybe just looking at Hugh Cunningham bit differently who knows.

Billie

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion