The Mystery of Michael Son, Sr.

Started by Vicki (Byrd) Hobbs on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
9/12/2013 at 9:03 PM

The Son Family Line has (temporarily) dead-ended with Michael Son, Sr., known to have been born c.1746, married Elizabeth Inglish, and had three children (Michael, Jr, b. 1776; Abraham, b. 1777 in VA; and Thomas Franklin Son, born in VA, date unknown. Michael, Sr. served in the Continental Army and lived in Augusta County, Virginia. A 600 Pound subsistence allotment was awarded to Elizabeth and her children in 1781 for the ensuing year, which would have indicated that Michael, Sr. likely died in 1780-81.

With a link to Mississippi Choctaw Indian lineage, it is possible that Michael, Sr.'s father was Choctaw and unidentified in the later Dawes or other Indian census rolls. It is, however, more likely that the Choctaw link came through his great-grandson's wife, Eliza Jane Harris, who was one-quarter Choctaw.

It is also possible that there is a link to the Son(n) family of Chatham, Columbia County, New York, having originated in England and/or Holland. Thomas Son(n) was born in 1759 in New York or John Sone/Zon/Sonn who died c. 1778 in NY could have been related to Michael Son, Sr., but no link is evident.

Michael Son, Jr., was born in 1776 in either Virginia (according to 1850 Census at age 73, when living in Washington County, AR) or Kentucky (according to 1870 Census at age 93, when living in Pilot Grove, MO).

Would appreciate anyone who may have additional information re: Michael Son, Sr. Michael Son, Sr. or earlier records to join the search and help to solve the mystery.

9/13/2013 at 7:32 AM

I too have run into the same problem. The only thing I would like to mention is that Michael Son, Jr. overlapped with Daniel Webster Son (Papa Son) by 8 years. He lived with Papa Son when he was a little boy and Papa Son would tell my father in law <private> Britten about Michael Son, Jr. since they lived together. I thought it was interesting since they both lived very long lives to see this overlap and eye witness history in the Son family. It covers close to 200 years from the 1700's to the 1900's.

5/13/2015 at 3:12 PM

Hello all. I am a descendant also of Michael Son, Sr. through Garret. I looked into the Von Zon/Son's of Chatham, NY. I have all of their Rev War records. I too do not find any connection to our Son's.
The Choctaw connection is interesting. I have a picture of the Harris sisters. A Harris researcher sent me a group of info on the Harris family years ago.
I also have a news paper article about a Son Family Reunion in 1933 in Missouri, lots of pictures etc.
There is a Michael Son listed in Lancaster, PA in 1772 and 1773. Is this our "Michael"? Trying to track the migration, connect the dots.

1/21/2017 at 12:46 AM

My dad did say we had Indian blood but Sohn was the original spelling somewhere and he did say something about Eliza his great grandmother being part Indian. Thanks for sharing and if anyone has some writings or books by Dr Thomas A Son I'm interested in seeing or reading them. Michael sr is my fifth great grandfather

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion