Amatoya Moytoy, I, of Tellico - Blood Amount

Started by Private User on Sunday, September 28, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 14 posts
Private User
9/28/2014 at 3:56 PM

How can Amatoy Moytoy be full-blooded when his father was an Englishman??

9/28/2014 at 4:29 PM

Is it proven his father was an Englishman?

What is the definition of "full blood" used, by whom & where?

Private User
9/29/2014 at 7:57 AM

All the dictionaries I find state that "full-blood" is unmixed blood of parents of unmixed blood.
As far as him being the son of Thomas Carpenter, that is all that Ancestry.com is showing..

9/29/2014 at 10:01 AM

As I understand Cherokee history, adoption and amalgamation has always been part of the culture, and "full blood" is a European concept, not a native one; so would only apply after European contact.

But there are also very distinct DNA markers, and that would / could be definable on the Y line.

I think an example of each (a dictionary & and a known "full blood" male Cherokee) might help answer the question.

Private User
10/3/2014 at 4:17 PM

Amatoya Moytoy,I, of Tellico would be considered a full-blooded native if you marry a native women you and your children are considered full blooded and also if you are adopted you are considered a full blooded native.He is my 9th cousin 9 times removed we are related through Margery Donnet http://www.geni.com/path/Judy-Rice+is+related+to+Amatoya-Moytoy?fro...

Private User
10/4/2014 at 6:48 AM

He was my 7th great-grandfather and yet, my Cherokee card says I am 1/64th. Hard to compute.

Private User
10/4/2014 at 7:20 AM

Edward My Certificate of Indian Status says i am 50 percent Mohawk but the only generation not to marry a native was my dads generation my mother was not native all my other ancestors were native Canadian from Caughnawaga Quebec (Kahnawake Que i think i should be 75% Mohawk

10/4/2014 at 3:45 PM

Edward - thank you for the definition that is confusing you, it would confuse me, too. The answer would be with how your Cherokee card is computed by the issuing authority.

Personally in this day & age I'd try & go with DNA testing, but it's more difficult with autosomal testing (so far). My understanding is the native markers may degrade quickly (3-5 gens). Y DNA stays "whole."

Private User
1/10/2016 at 12:06 PM

He is my 9th great grandfather. Thanks for clearing up the "full blooded" info for me. I was confused.

6/4/2016 at 4:45 PM

Before ever thinking about his Blood Quantum, first you need to find any records on him, and not just the name Amatoya Moytoy, until then the information on him and family are NOT good for genealogy purpose . My family has been in North America since the 1600s James City Virginia. I spend alot of time reading Quaker Meeting minutes, Colony meeting min, the German Ministers that were with the Indians lond before European Settlers...

6/4/2016 at 4:45 PM

Before ever thinking about his Blood Quantum, first you need to find any records on him, and not just the name Amatoya Moytoy, until then the information on him and family are NOT good for genealogy purpose . My family has been in North America since the 1600s James City Virginia. I spend alot of time reading Quaker Meeting minutes, Colony meeting min, the German Ministers that were with the Indians lond before European Settlers...

6/4/2016 at 4:54 PM

Donald, isn't it true also that "the Amatoh" was in fact a title, not a name, and there were (At least) four?

6/4/2016 at 7:43 PM

Moytoy was

6/4/2016 at 8:29 PM

This is the Highest Blood Line and the name for it even today... Ghigau.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion