ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Mike Stangel on Tuesday, October 7, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1-30 of 5946 posts
10/7/2014 at 2:26 PM

This discussion is a continuation of http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793 wherin one of your friendly neighborhood Curators (See announcement: http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000009728208335 and introductions: http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000009792416945 ) suggested that discussion as a focal point for users requesting help from Geni's curators.

The purpose of this discussion is to enable you to easily post requests for assistance. Posting requests here will get you a much faster response than contacting us privately, as all curators can see this discussion, as well as many other users who can assist as well.

Presently what we can help you with is:
* "killing zombies" - Zombies are historical profiles that are wrongly marked as living, and thus block merges. Please continue posting these requests here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000008897331095
* Make public – if a historical profile is wrongly marked as private, we can ask the system to check if it should be marked public.
* Complete pending merges between ANY pair of public profiles.

A MAJOR caveat to our work is that we can only help with profiles/trees already connected to the so-called “big-tree” (really a forest) of almost 50 million profiles

If you found a duplicate tree that is NOT yet connected, we can’t help. You’ll have to go the usual root - initiate contact with the manager(s) of the other tree.

We most STRONGLY recommend that you ALWAYS first try and contact the other managers. You WILL get better and faster results that way (we are a last resort).

We also HIGHLY recommend that anyone who is serious about merging in the shared parts of our tree, join the Collaboration Pool. You will find there 500+ people there all wanting to help each other out. Read about it and JOIN here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000008539319639

While initially we would like to concentrate on cleaning up the shared parts of the historical tree (such as European Royalty), we can and will assist anywhere needed. We will soon also start discussions that are for specific “areas” of the tree, for better focus.

What we can’t and WILL NOT do is:

* Do YOUR work for you. If you see duplicates in a tree, and can stack them, please do so, BEFORE you ask us to complete the merges. Do the maximum that you can. There are 5,000,000 of you users, and only 24 Curators... WE need YOUR help at least as much as you need us. This is a TEAM effort.
* Before you ask us to merge a "stack" of pending merges, do through the stack yourself, and check if all of the profiles belong there. It is NOT too hard, and you'll save everybody a lot of work and grief. You might find the following guide useful: http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Resolving_Merge_Issues
* Connect new trees to the “big-tree”. If you want to do so, please have the courtesy to explain to the manager(s) of the unconnected tree, what this means and involves. MOST problems in the “big-tree” are due to people being dragged into it, against their will or without anyone explaining what this means.
* MOST importantly - We will NOT force ANY decisions on any one. If you have issues with the other manager(s), please try and work them out first.

Feel free to join the discussion, we'd like to hear your opinions as well.

Thank you,
The Geni Curator Team

10/7/2014 at 3:01 PM

Would it be possible to start a discussion for issues with Geni?
Non paying users cannot raise a ticket, but they may notice some errors or problems.
It would be nice to have a discussion where they can post these.

10/7/2014 at 5:05 PM

Sticky - yes, done.

Discussion for issues - it's possible, but I believe we've tried this in the past and the problem is that there's too much noise. Not all bug reports are good bug reports, and we don't have the staff to respond to everyone or else we'd just let everyone open tickets.

Private
10/7/2014 at 5:23 PM

so in other words no pun intended it turned into a big sticky mess? Job Waterreus I think that non users can report bugs in the submit a idea section.. odd place for it software flaw perhaps in the help section but it can be done..

10/7/2014 at 10:45 PM

Private, thanks. I know that can be done. It is not obvious for all users however and it is difficult to get a good overview there
Mike Stangel, I was thinking about a discussion so that we could be sure it was a bug. In that case a paying user or curator could raise a bug.
Michael, may be it would be more practical to start a bug project and start a separate project discussion for each bug. that discussion could be closed when a ticket was raised (or when it turned out not to be a bug)

10/7/2014 at 10:50 PM

I still have a problem with http://www.geni.com/family-tree/index/6000000012923309663 and would appreciate some help:
Someone did a wrong merge, but removing one of the parent will give an error (will split the tree)
One Maria has as parents George Abraham Waterreus and Maria Helena van Zijp. This Maria is born after 1899.
The other Maria is Maria Engel Dorothea born 29 sep 1895 in Rotterdam and died 06 dec 1976 in Rotterdam, wife of Johannes Wulfert Wilhelmus van den Eshof and child of Johannes Waterreus and Sophia Maria Theresia Steenlage.

10/8/2014 at 6:16 AM

Job: re: Maria-merge ... requesting un-merge of the Aug. 26th merge.

Private
10/8/2014 at 10:37 AM

Yes Job Waterreus I agree.. and disagree.. I see the benifits of starting such a project but i think working on it from the help webpage would be better.. But as you said not every one knows about that.. I don't think doing it out here in the forurm would be a good idea however.. It would just be too messy but that just is my view of it Maybe it could work Mike has said they have tried this in the past and it has not been exactly helpfull... but it is a good idea worth exploreing..

Private User
10/8/2014 at 10:55 AM

Mike was referring to Discussions where the purpose was to actually present the Bug -- and he and/or Programming Staff were monitoring the Discussions to rush off and work on them. Job's suggestion is different -- as I understand it, he is suggesting a place for us to talk amongst ourselves till we determine it really is a bug - and possibly also how to phrase it - before either tagging Mike or someone else or starting a Bug Report or opening a Ticket. I think that might be helpful. Tho mixing up all sorts of different issues could be messy if we are not careful - which is one way a Project might help - allowing as it might for a separate discussion about each suspected bug (and when someone sees that there are two discussions about the same bug - they perhaps can put link in one, say continue all discussion in the other)

As far as I can tell, they do not actually have any way to do such a thing as Job is suggesting over on the Help Platform.

Do not know if such a discussion thread already exists in the Curator-only discussions. Or if there are Projects only Curators can access. Unless they do, this discussion is probably off-topic. But I couldn't resist commenting. Apologies.

10/8/2014 at 12:38 PM

Lois,

Thanks for explaining it better than I did.

10/8/2014 at 3:10 PM

What would be a good project title?

10/8/2014 at 3:52 PM
10/8/2014 at 8:24 PM

"User Discussion of Potential Software Bugs in Geni Platform."

"What's That Bug?"

"Is This A Bug?"

10/8/2014 at 9:08 PM

...and of course everyone should read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bug

10/9/2014 at 2:33 PM

Mike Stangel, you stated that there are 24 curators and 5 millions users, or 1 curator per 200,000 users. No wonder our curators are swamped.

Do you see a day when the curator ration will increase a bit?

Private
10/9/2014 at 2:35 PM

I am getting tired of answering quries that some people put forth that don't fit the criteria above is there a sperate spin off we could make for it?
something like "general cuartor non merge questions here"?

10/9/2014 at 2:38 PM

morel he meant to say there are 124 curators

Private User
10/9/2014 at 2:46 PM

Nah, 24 is probably more correct when counting curators active in the discussions...

Private User
10/9/2014 at 2:55 PM

The first post in this thread is a straight copy by Mike of the first post in the original discussion - so folks will know what the thread was created for without having to go back to the original discussion. Possibly some comment to that effect would have been helpful. It was posted 9/5/2010 and possibly there were 24 curators then.

Do not take it as Mike saying how many Curators there are now. Last I read, there were currently 100 Curators.

10/9/2014 at 2:59 PM

24 was, I think, copied from a very old discussion. We have over 120 curators around the world. It's true that some are more active than others.

Private
10/9/2014 at 3:43 PM

do you have to have profiles tagged if you want to create a project i would like to start one and then create a discussion from it like above like bug reports.. do you think it best to go this route as opposed to a discussion thread? i perhaps perfer the thread over the project rather then have a project every time something comes up...

10/9/2014 at 4:21 PM

Private,

I'm not sure I understand your questions correctly.
As far as I know it is possible to create a project without any tagged profiles.
From the project you can start multiple project discussions (a separate discussion tread for each subject) .

A difficult thing will be to give each discussion a good title (so people will know where to post or when to start a new discussion) and to know when to close it (so the number of active discussions will be not too large)

I think it may help to have a general discussion for each year with a topic like 'Is this a (new) bug/feature in <year>?' (closing it at the start of a new year) and have only a few people (project managers) creating new discussions for a specific topic. When a new discussion is created, the messages concerning that topic could be moved to the new discussion, so the number of messages in the general discussion would not grow too much.
When the conclusion is reached that it is indeed a bug, a pro user or curator could raise a ticket and close the discussion.

10/9/2014 at 4:24 PM

re http://www.geni.com/discussions/142108?msg=976780 from a few posts back . . . Angus Wood-Salomon I think Michael needs to be reminded (again) to mind his manners and stop posting things like this.

Private
10/9/2014 at 5:02 PM

llyod do i need repost your deleted racist comment to a curator? don't make me go that route

Private
10/9/2014 at 5:03 PM

Mike Stangel the reason we can't have discussions is cause of trolls like him.. I was perfectly on topic here...

10/9/2014 at 5:15 PM

Ahem!
You are addressing one of the Ashkenazim.

Private User
10/9/2014 at 5:26 PM

Michael - in the post Lloyd linked to, you start
1] "I am getting tired of answering quries that some people put forth that don't fit the criteria above" -
and continue 2] "is there a sperate spin off we could make for it?
something like "general cuartor non merge questions here"?"

re 1] If you are not a Curator, any questions asked here are not being asked of you at all - so no idea why you are exhausting yourself answering them.

re: 2] This is for Curators please assist -- requests for assistance - FROM CURATORS - and is NOT limited to merge requests. As a matter of fact -- folks just wanting simple assistance with merges can use
http://www.geni.com/discussions/99133- PRO USERS PLEASE DO THE MERGE-REQUESTS OF NON PRO USERS !

10/9/2014 at 5:52 PM

+1

Private User
10/11/2014 at 12:52 PM

My link above - to Pro Users please help with merge-requests -- keeps getting a Technical difficulties message - possibly because the hyphen is run on to the URL - so in case anyone may want to use it, posting again -
http://www.geni.com/discussions/99133

Anyone wanting help with merges involving their Max Extended Family to Private profiles they do not have edit-rights to will probably want Curator help. Also - anyone feeling an unmerge needs to be requested - only Curators can make that request. Curators are also able to look and let you know how recently someone has been online (if "Abandoned Tree" shows under "Actions" - then you do not need a Curator to tell you it has been a long time; if Activity shows recent actions, you also do not need them!). Curators are able to look at and edit your profile, the private profiles you manage in your Max Extended Family, etc. - so for folks having problems, they may be the best source of someone who can help.

Curators have no special powers to fix bugs or locate a useful FAQ - so bug reports, questions re: is something a bug, and questions re: how do I ... - all of which may need an experienced geni-user who is willing to help but do not need any of the special powers given a Curator do not actually belong here. You will occasionally see such questons here because not everyone is clear on what needs a Curator -- and the Curators know that and do not want to be or seem rude. But for those of us who understand -- it is disrespectful if we clutter this discussion with questions and problems that either a Curator is not equipped to handle (eg fix such-and-such bug) or questions that do not require the special powers given to Curators (eg is such and such a bug and/or 'how do I do such and such' questions).

Showing 1-30 of 5946 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion