ATTENTION Curators, please assist

Started by Mike Stangel on Friday, June 10, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1-30 of 5212 posts
6/10/2016 at 9:16 AM

This discussion is a continuation of https://www.geni.com/discussions/142108 wherin one of your friendly neighborhood Curators suggested we create a discussion as a focal point for users requesting help from Geni's curators (see https://www.geni.com/curators for more information about curators).

The purpose of this discussion is to enable you to easily post requests for assistance. Posting requests here will get you a much faster response than contacting us privately, as all curators can see this discussion, as well as many other users who can assist as well.

Presently what we can help you with is:
* "killing zombies" - Zombies are historical profiles that are wrongly marked as living, and thus block merges. Please continue posting these requests here: https://www.geni.com/discussions/142109
* Make public – if a historical profile is wrongly marked as private, we can ask the system to check if it should be marked public.
* Complete pending merges between ANY pair of public profiles.

A MAJOR caveat to our work is that we can only help with profiles/trees already connected to the so-called “big-tree” (really a forest) of almost 50 million profiles

If you found a duplicate tree that is NOT yet connected, we can’t help. You’ll have to go the usual root - initiate contact with the manager(s) of the other tree.

We most STRONGLY recommend that you ALWAYS first try and contact the other managers. You WILL get better and faster results that way (we are a last resort).

We also HIGHLY recommend that anyone who is serious about merging in the shared parts of our tree, join the Collaboration Pool. You will find there 500+ people there all wanting to help each other out. Read about it and JOIN here: https://www.geni.com/discussions/74031

While initially we would like to concentrate on cleaning up the shared parts of the historical tree (such as European Royalty), we can and will assist anywhere needed. We will soon also start discussions that are for specific “areas” of the tree, for better focus.

What we can’t and WILL NOT do is:

* Do YOUR work for you. If you see duplicates in a tree, and can stack them, please do so, BEFORE you ask us to complete the merges. Do the maximum that you can. There are 5,000,000 of you users, and only 24 Curators... WE need YOUR help at least as much as you need us. This is a TEAM effort.
* Before you ask us to merge a "stack" of pending merges, do through the stack yourself, and check if all of the profiles belong there. It is NOT too hard, and you'll save everybody a lot of work and grief. You might find the following guide useful: http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Resolving_Merge_Issues
* Connect new trees to the “big-tree”. If you want to do so, please have the courtesy to explain to the manager(s) of the unconnected tree, what this means and involves. MOST problems in the “big-tree” are due to people being dragged into it, against their will or without anyone explaining what this means.
* MOST importantly - We will NOT force ANY decisions on any one. If you have issues with the other manager(s), please try and work them out first.

Feel free to join the discussion, we'd like to hear your opinions as well.

Thank you,
The Geni Curator Team

Private User
6/10/2016 at 8:36 PM

99.99% the same profiles. Some names are slightly different but, it makes some sense that people would do that using different sources etc. Thus, some children are the same but in different lines further down, etc.

Anna Jonsson

Anna Jonsson

Private User
6/10/2016 at 11:54 PM

Mestwin II, Duke of Pomerania

Someone seems to have hijacked this profile, born after ca. 1214, the one responsible have changed it to born 8 juli 1980, given it an e-mail address, and follows 6 other profiles. latest activity 2016-5-1.

Private User
6/10/2016 at 11:55 PM

Does anyone follows this new thread?

Private User
6/11/2016 at 12:02 AM

Curator, please take a look at this profile. I did a merge, but the private profiles I think are set to living status. Please unblock and merge, or let me know so I can merge. Thank you.

Alma Noretta Brua

6/11/2016 at 2:44 AM

There seems to be a problem with MH matches again.
It often takes multiple confirms before the confirm will be registered
But this one is still a problem:
https://www.myheritage.com/matchingresult-ed6017f9a8e8bb48c5fdda5f1...

What could be the problem with these profiles?

6/11/2016 at 4:09 AM

I made a mistake when adding my great great-grandparents's info. Somehow I ended up adding them as my great grandparents IN ADDITION to my great grandparents which now shows my grandfather as having had two sets of parents. Can you please assist @ Edward Louis de Hart.

My Grandfather was Edward Louis de Hart, married to Engela Helena Catharina de Hart (Jooste), born 1906.
My Great Grandparents were Edward Louis de Hart, Married to Olga Rozala de Hart (Hartman) and my great great grandparents were Henri Coenraad de Hart, married to Christina Maria de Hart (van Niekerk).
Could you correct this for me please?

Regard,

Edna de Beer (de Hart)

6/11/2016 at 4:52 AM

Edna de Beer (de Hart) -- done. Please check and make sure all is well now!

6/11/2016 at 5:11 AM

Thank you so much Anne. I really appreciate your help. It can get complicated and confusing at times!!

6/11/2016 at 5:35 AM

Yes, indeed it can! That was actually a simple fix, but things can get overwhelming.

Any profiles that you have yourself added should show a "Relationship" tab, when you go into "edit profile."

From there, if it exists for you, you can detach partners and parents.

Look and see if the that tab exists for you in those profiles -- that's how I did it; I detached the wrong parents from your grandfather; everything else was intact.

BUT this won't work unless you're the manager of the profile.

6/11/2016 at 7:47 AM

I need help disconnecting as manager of any profiles connected to this profile as I just found it was a bad merge :( .. I tired to disconnect but it took whom she had as the father out UGH! could someone help me .. Please and Thank you
Sarah Nancy Kissinger

Private User
6/11/2016 at 8:14 AM

They are the same, just some kind of anglicization effects.

6/11/2016 at 8:16 AM

Bobby Ann Sporing
Pls chk your Geni messages

6/11/2016 at 11:43 AM

@Mathelin de Bellesme, Seigneur d'Essaye

In the about me @Terry Jackson (Switzer) states There is no record of this person as child of Guillaume I de Belleme dated 1/1/2013

@https://www.geni.com/people/Guillaume-I-Talvas-de-Belleme-seigneur-... at the top @Terry Jackson (Switzer) States his issue as: Warinus [Guerin] de Bellême,Foulques de Bellême,Robert de Bellême, GUILLAUME [II] "Talvas" de Bellême, IVES

Should this profile not be mastered - and both parents set at NN so this reconnection does not occured again????

6/11/2016 at 12:18 PM

Private User
I did a undo merge on Mestwin II, Duke of Pomerania and reported it as a Claimed historical Profile.

The unmerged profile is Mestwin II, Duke of Pomerania

6/11/2016 at 3:08 PM
6/11/2016 at 3:24 PM

Thanks @Angus Wood-Salomon

I do not think it was linked until I found the other tree today - the info for GUILLAUME I and his father were not correct in name and dates - you will see I had to update those profiles - Just love it when people take just certain information to try and connect to a tree with royalty or such in it

6/11/2016 at 4:19 PM

Thanks Angus - super busy at the moment but have altered the MP note to show the controversy that he may have been the illigitimate son of Guillaume.

Private User
6/11/2016 at 10:44 PM
Private User
6/12/2016 at 1:56 AM

I need some nice curator to lock the name field on this profile
Märta Björnsdotter (pukehorn) af Ulfsunda
because two different user newly changed it in a wrongly way, and I do not want to start an editing war, the profiles correct name are:
Märta Björnsdotter (Pukehorn), af Ulfsunda
nothing else, and shouldn't be changed to something else, period, in fact, you can lock down the whole profile since nothing new would arrive.

Private User
6/12/2016 at 7:41 AM

Private User, namnfälten för Märta Björnsdotter (pukehorn) är nu låsta.

Private User
6/12/2016 at 7:54 AM

Private User Tackar vänligast! Det underlättar som sagt var på sikt, bara idag har jag ägnat timmar åt att ta bort makars binamn från kvinnor, vilket även avslöjat en del felkopplingar som jag tvingats rätta till, så mycket arbete i onödan det skapar! Fruarna skall ha sina namn, männen sina, annars blir det som med denna profilen, Märta Jönsdotter Stierna, Bååt, Halvhjort (Ryzia) ja, hon var ju gift flera gånger, OMG!!! Jag återställde givetvis namnet till originalet,
Märta Jönsdotter (Ryzia)

Private User
6/12/2016 at 8:29 AM

I have contacted Elina about this and hopefully she will stop
in Scandinavia Wife didn’t get husbands name automatically

6/12/2016 at 9:29 AM

Could someone please check this user Game of Thrones Season 6 Episode 8 - No One. The user started today and is asking me to join a project that I already joined long ago.
It may be a spam robot.

6/12/2016 at 9:58 AM

Private User I did some merges on the Troe tree. They may be private because of the time frame. You could contact the manager about making them public.
There are 22 Troe profiles in Worth County on Find a Grave, so good sources there.

Private User
6/12/2016 at 1:07 PM

Maria Hederström, jag har gått igenom din lista och reviderat.

6/12/2016 at 2:07 PM

Utmärkt!

Private
6/12/2016 at 6:52 PM

Job Waterreus Also I had liang22 ask me for entry into Abbreviations & Acronyms for Genealogy - The Accepted project and I also noticed she just started today.. Is that legit or is she a spam bot? I declined just in case.

Showing 1-30 of 5212 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion