Francois Joseph Savoie SOLVED

Started by Joseph Bolton on Saturday, September 15, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 2341-2370 of 2666 posts
1/24/2022 at 8:55 PM

I’m not sure how “forced to leave” equates to the events. To me, and I’m no scholar of this! It looks simple / complicated: the old Duke dies (suspiciously), his children are minors; the widow appointed regent. Child Duke dies (suspiciously), next child appointed Duke, widow renewed as regent. “Then” the uncles break into open rebellion, which eventually they lose, because yay! Marie Christine.

1/28/2022 at 1:22 PM

Marguerite de Bourbon, reina de Navarra is my 24th great grandmother.
Thomas I, count of Savoy is my 23rd great grandfather.
Francis Hyacinth, duke of Savoy is my fourth cousin 12 times removed.

Private User
1/31/2022 at 10:02 PM

Erica Howton

I've been reading into the Sabaudian Studies by Matthew Vester, and according to his research Francois Hyacinth was born in 1632. I did however discover that he was originally buried at the cathedral of Turin but was reburied in 1832 at the Abbey San Michele Dela Chuisa.

You had mentioned before that there was records of a Savoie surname outside of the monarchy that you believe Francois may have originated from. Where can I find this info?

Private User
2/2/2022 at 12:07 PM

Fred White yes, this is interesting, but the marker is part of Y-DNA and that is where no progress has been made in Francois/Thomas's case (not for the lack of trying though).

2/2/2022 at 4:08 PM

hi im michael just found this geni site and your disscusion, im intrigued that 95% of the Gedmatch kits posted in this thred i match with some chromosomes this is at 3cms
it has been said i am descended from francois savoie.
this is from my french canadian lines kit no: LU3078434
happy i found you, i have scaned back to page 58 and forward to page 8 so getting a feel for the mine of information here, thank to the contributers

2/4/2022 at 7:48 PM

michael J joines Welcome cousin!!

2/5/2022 at 1:19 AM

thank you joseph
my reliable ancester i can get back to would be Rose Giasson 1816 - 1904 married to issac gonyeau 1808 - 1893 after that im going by other family trees and suggestions any help to clarify would be a bonus.
Francois Savoie should be my 9th great grandfather on my maternal side

2/6/2022 at 6:51 AM

michael J joines How did you hear about Francois Joseph Savoie?

2/6/2022 at 3:59 PM

it was the relationship finder in familytree.org then started to compare dna from known members here i have matches with 95% it seems

Private User
2/16/2022 at 6:25 AM

Erica Howton Fred White Joseph Bolton

I have exciting news!!

We have a Y-DNA match with Carlo Alberto Di Savoia Carignano! Joseph's cousin P. Savoie is a direct male line descendent of Francois and both are Y-DNA haplogroup E-M35!

Private User
2/16/2022 at 6:31 AM

Private User Jonathan Chénier

*see above post

Private User
2/16/2022 at 6:39 AM

Please see familysearch profile for Francois Joseph Savoie refer to notes collaboration and documents section for Y-DNA results

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/collaborate/LHXQ-QBY

2/16/2022 at 6:57 AM

Private User Mary, thank you for your persistent DNA detective work. It looks like Aunt Rita knew what she was talking about. Just for clarification though, Paul Savoie is my maternal uncle and yes he is a direct male descendant of Francois Joseph Savoie.

Private User
2/16/2022 at 7:17 AM

*correction*

P. Savoie is Josephs uncle, not his cousin. P. Savoie IS a direct patrilineal descendent of Francois

Private User
2/16/2022 at 7:26 AM

Joseph Bolton I am absolutely ecstatic! We finally have the holy grail of DNA evidence and it is conclusive! This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt what we've known along! Now the only question is, which Savoy brother is the father of Francois? Victor Amadeus or Thomasso.

Private User
2/16/2022 at 7:37 AM

I would like to take this opportunity to issue a special thanks to Valerie Fremmerlid for posting the Y-DNA results of Carlo Alberto Di Savoia Carignano on familysearch.

2/16/2022 at 8:48 AM

How exactly is Carlo Alberto di Savoia related to the House of Savoy?

2/16/2022 at 8:54 AM

Fred White He is a descendant of Tomasso. Since he and P. Savoie match up, then they both oare descendants of Tomaso. Therefore, Aunt Rita was right all along.😁

Private User
2/16/2022 at 9:15 AM

Mary, I need to caution you that a shared haplogroup is not the same thing as a Y-DNA match. It is important to know how many Y-DNA markers two people match on, before they can be considered a match within a reasonable number of generations.

It is just that if two men do not share the same haplogroup they are very obviously not a Y-DNA match. This is the point I was trying to make over at FamilySearch, because at FamilyTreeDNA there are two different male-line descendants of Francois Savoie who have the haplogroup R1b-M269→Z367 (their kit numbers are 49341 and 397890). (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/frenchheritage?iframe=yresults)

That is interesting if P. Savoie has a different haplogroup than the two other Francois Savoie descendants. BUT that creates a new question that needs to be solved first: why is his haplogroup different than theirs?

If P. Savoie has done a Y-DNA test with FamilyTreeDNA, does he have any matches on that site on the first 12 markers? And he should join the French Heritage group so he can compare to other descendants. If he only knows his haplogroup because he did a test with 23andMe, he unfortunately won't be able to actually compare his Y-DNA with anybody to really know if he has any matches.

2/16/2022 at 9:32 AM

Private User Paul Savoie is my uncle. I don’t know about the other Francois Savoie descendants that have a different Y-DNA match. I do know that in our family it has been the Oral Tradition that the our first Savoie ancestor was royal, his grandmother was a Spanish Princess and he was forced to leave Europe. That is what my family has always known about themselves and this DNA result strongly implies it’s validity.

Private User
2/16/2022 at 9:50 AM

Private User I have 3 other male descendents of Francois Savoie who also carry the Savoie surname and all 3 of them are also Y-DNA haplogroup E-M35. So Im not sure where you're getting your information from.

Private User
2/16/2022 at 9:50 AM

Joseph Bolton Your uncle's Y-DNA result will only imply its validity if he can demonstrate how closely his Y-DNA matches kit# 217730 at FamilyTreeDNA's Italy DNA Project: https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Italy?iframe=yresults (who claims he descends from Carlo Alberto Di Savoia Carignano,1798-1849).

Is it possible for your uncle to join the Italy DNA project? As I said, a shared haplogroup is not the same as a Y-DNA match.

Private User
2/16/2022 at 9:57 AM

Private User I am getting my information from the French Heritage project at FamilyTreeDNA, which I posted above (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/frenchheritage?iframe=yresults). If you search for paternal ancestor name>contains>savoie, you will see the two DNA kits who have shared their results publicly, and that they claim to descend from Francois Savoie. These are the haplogroup results posted on Francois Savois's profile on Geni: Francois-Joseph Savoie

Private User
2/16/2022 at 9:58 AM

Private User

Who are these other male line descendents you are refering to? And what is their lineage from Francois?

Joseph Bolton
Could you please share with us your uncle's Paul and Thomas lineage? Or can I have your permission to share it here?

Private User
2/16/2022 at 10:02 AM

Private User

How can we confirm that the two descendents you are referring to are direct male line?

Private User
2/16/2022 at 10:17 AM

Private User The French Heritage project say they report their Y-DNA and mt-DNA triangulations in a catalogue here: http://www.francogene.com/triangulation/y.php. Here is the page for Francois Savoie: http://www.francogene.com/triangulation/TRI0512.php.

So this is saying that both the Y-DNA kits descend from two different sons of Germain Savoie (b. 1654), son of Francois Savoie and Catherine Lejeune. Germain is the only son of Francois known to have any children, so his is the only line where it is possible to find Y-DNA descendants from. These results are reported by Denis Savard, who likely has more information about their genealogies, but this is what is reported publicly. The matches are considered triangulated, because they are a Y-DNA match and have genealogies from the same man, Germain Savoie.

It is always good to have additional descendants share their results, I am sure the French Heritage project would be happy to analyze the results of the Savoie descendants with the different haplogroup. But I am not sure whether they have actually done a Y-DNA test with FamilyTreeDNA or not.

Private User
2/16/2022 at 10:32 AM

Private User Joseph is also descendend from Germain Savoie, but his uncle's tests were not done through FamilyTreeDNA they were through AncestryDNA. Is there a way to convert or import those results to the project?

Private User
2/16/2022 at 10:47 AM

Private User Yes it actually looks like you can upload an old Y-DNA from Ancestry: https://www.familytreedna.com/landing/ydna-transfer.aspx#:~:text=Fa.... I know Y-DNA tests are now discontinued at Ancestry, but I hope you can still download a Y-DNA DNA file like you can with autosomal tests?

Private User
2/16/2022 at 10:52 AM

Private User

Thank you for sharing the link. I will also be reaching out to my other two E-M35 male Savoie descendents to see if they can also join and submit their kit info.

Showing 2341-2370 of 2666 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion