Moytoy, of Tellico - Montoy Amodohiyi Cherokee Nation 1687–1741

Started by Private User on Tuesday, October 16, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
Private User
10/16/2018 at 8:11 AM

He was my 9th great Grandfather, I was wondering if I have any distances Cousin out there and if anyone has more information on him and his family

10/16/2018 at 8:25 AM

How Is it possible you descend ?

Moytoy died 1741, had one known son: Amoscossite.

Amouskositte Moytoy, Uku of Great Tellico

AMMOUSHOSSMEE He was from the Overhills, 1741-1757. Name defined as "Bad Water." Also called the Emperor of Great Tellico, the Emperor, and the Young Emperor. He was an English appointed ruler of the Cherokee nation to replace his deceased father, Moytoy who died in 1741. Born about 1730, probably in Great Hiwassee.

no known offspring.

1/1/2019 at 5:19 PM

According to research, he had many more than one son and many more than one wife.

1/1/2019 at 5:44 PM

He had one known wife mentioned in records and one known son who had no known children.

If the Moytoy had other wives and children, they are not known to Cherokee tribal historians.

2/10/2019 at 9:09 PM

Which records are you referring to Erica Howton so I can study those and report back. As I live outside of the USA this limits my ability to access any written records but I know many historians researchign Cherokee nation.

2/10/2019 at 9:37 PM

Ask any of them, and read the notes in the Geni profile and in the project https://www.geni.com/projects/Cherokee-Genealogy-and-History/12

We only know that Moytoy had a wife (she’s referred to) but we don’t know her name; and the one son, who had no known children. That’s all anyone knows from records.

12/30/2019 at 11:18 PM

Erica-Does that mean that's the end Moytoy's line? Was any of that about Moytoy true,should it be deleted from my file? Thanks. Lila Lindberg

12/31/2019 at 12:18 AM

Moytoy has no known descent line so should not be connected to you or in your personal tree. He’s in the Geni tree as a historic person.

1/2/2020 at 4:30 PM

In my tree Moytoy born in 1687, had a son (Attakullakalla born 1700-1705).

1/2/2020 at 5:35 PM

There is no historical evidence to support Moytoy as father of Attakullakulla. If they were father and son that would have been noted when Attakullakulla went to England in 1730.

According to this Attakullakulla was NOT Cherokee. That being the case, he could not have been Moytoy's son.

Attakullakulla is believed to have been born in the territory of the Overhill Cherokee, in what is now East Tennessee, sometime in the early 1700s.[3] His son, Turtle-at-Home, said that he was born to a sub-tribe of the Algonquian-speaking Nipissing to the north near Lake Superior. He was captured as an infant during a raid in which his parents were killed, and brought back to Tennessee to be adopted by a Cherokee family, where he was raised as Cherokee.[4] He married Nionne Ollie, a Natchez captive adopted as the daughter of his cousin, Oconostota. The marriage was permissible because they were of different clans; he was Wolf Clan and she was Paint Clan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attakullakulla

1/3/2020 at 4:42 AM

Only one person, Turtle-at-home suggested that Attakullakulla was not born Cherokee. “Nionne Ollie” is not mentioned anywhere.

And that one person was his (Attakullakulla's) son. Who better to know the truth than his own son.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion