20,000 Patriots !

Started by Erica Howton on Saturday, October 20, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts
10/20/2018 at 5:47 PM

Identified on Geni and added to the project,

https://www.geni.com/projects/Patriots-Daughters-of-the-American-Re...

Thank you, everyone, and especially Faustine Darsey on partial hiatus

Private User
10/20/2018 at 6:20 PM

Thanks

10/20/2018 at 7:54 PM

Thanks Erica Howton!

Thanks to each & every one of you who have assisted in this effort. There are 151 collaborators in the American Revolutionary War project & 112 in the Patriots - Daughters of the American Revolution Project, just to name a few. Let's go for 30,000! If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

10/21/2018 at 5:29 AM

WOW! That's impressive! Keep up the good work! =D

10/21/2018 at 10:41 AM

After contributing over 30 patriots w/NARA of 12, SAR of 11, DAR of 8, and SAR/DAR of 1 (grandfathers that served), I have several questions.

1. Is "My Patriot's" for only DAR Apps w/Ancestors numbers, and
how about the SAR Apps w/numbers w/State numbers?

Then we have many w/o DAR and SAR Apps, but with NARA Pensions/Rolls/Mil. Rcds of Svc doc's.

2. Will DAR and SAR accept doc's from NARA as proof of Patriot Status? If so, how do we obtain these rcds that are legible for applying for DAR or SAR certification?

3. Is there an easier method in submitting these ancestors to the DAR and SAR orgs for certification, and also obtaining better legible doc's for applications (Most of them looks like either hand written in pencil or ink)?

I am in the process in going to my first meeting, and submitting my initial ancestor app to SAR. It seems that it is more difficult to join the SAR than DAR. SAR requires copies that are legible doc's from DAR's archives. Also, what is the steps taken to obtain these doc's/records from DAR archives? I know you have to go to DAR.org, but from there where do you go?

Does any one have an answer?

Again, great job to Faustine Darsey!

10/21/2018 at 2:43 PM

Hello Kenneth Joseph Bagg Neder, Thanks for your questions.

1. The project called "Patriots - Daughters of the American Revolution" is for Patriots that have been proven by one of their female descendants and approved by DAR. If I came across one listed in SAR, I would probably leave it there anyway. There is also the "American Revolutionary War" project which can include many more profiles.

2. I use fold3 which is included at a discount with my Ancestry.com subscription. I live in Texas, and have never visited the National Archives in Washington, DC. I would like to however if I get the chance. I have not ordered records directly from them. I think the fold3 records come from there.

3. I worked as a Registrar and on the membership committee for a DAR chapter locally. In general, I would sketch out the family tree, ask the applicant if she knows of any Patriots or DAR members in her family and ask for vital records for the first 3 or 4 generations. If the applicant is young, even the 5th generation vital records may be easily available. I would want to help the applicant save $, so I would look on ancestry & family search for records. Each state is different and sometimes the records must be ordered & it can take awhile. These records are worth the money if that is the only way to get them. My mother did not have a birth certificate, so a Bible record was used. My husband's grandmother did not have a death certificate (burned in county courthouse by fire) so we were allowed to use an obituary. There is also newspapers.com which can come in handy for searching newspaper articles.

I would put in a good amount of time looking for an "easy" Patriot to prove. In my case, a cousin was in DAR, so I only had to submit the first 2 generations. I did not have to get copies of the documents for the rest of the line. If I wanted them I could order the copies from the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution, but it was not required.

In other words, every situation can be different. DAR can be easy or difficult depending on whether or not other family members have gone in before the applicant. I do not know of any DAR chapters that work with SAR chapters to assist applicants.

You can call the NSDAR and ask for the library and ask specific questions. You can also go to the library at the NSDAR facility to do research. I have not done that myself, and hope to visit my DAR headquarters at some point.

I do not recommend trying to order documents online. You can spend a lot of $ and come up empty handed.

Hope this helps and I commend you for your efforts.

Thank you for your congratulations. I am thankful for the support from the many geni users who have assisted with this project. It is too big for a few people.

10/21/2018 at 3:13 PM

Faustine Darsey,

Thank you for your guidance. My SAR sponsor informed me that I can use the DAR data from the DAR applicants. He said, it would be a short cut in applying for membership here in NV.

I'll go to the project of American Revolution War. Then later I will work on the DAR Project for my 5 daughters. It would be my last action for adding them and my 7 granddaughters to become eligible to become a DAR member.

Again, thank you.

Respectfully, Ken

10/21/2018 at 4:37 PM

Kenneth Joseph Bagg Neder,

I wish you the best & thanks for your service to our Country. Let me know how it goes.

Faustine

10/26/2018 at 10:17 AM

So, do I need to do something to add my name to the list? My ARW Patriot is Garrett Gray, Sr. I joined Gen. John Caldwell Chap/NSDAR through that family as did a few others in our chapter. Also, quite a thrill that I'm, albeit distantly, related to all those ladies listed as founding members.
Thanks,
Go

10/26/2018 at 3:31 PM

Hello Virginia Lee Oldham, I checked & he is in the project. Thank you.

10/26/2018 at 7:35 PM

Right now in the Williamson Family tree tied to me I know there are at least 12 in the DAR registry. I am now counting and verifying over 30 total Patriots of the American Revolution. This is also counting 1st second and third cousins. It is amazing how it keeps growing. I will curate or collaborate if needed

10/26/2018 at 8:52 PM

Hello Alan H Williamson Jr., You have me smiling. We are already collaborators. You are in the Patriots of the American Revolution - the search is on!. Add them to that one and I will work with you.

I am glad to have help.

Ephraim Wheeler
Revolutionary War, Lexington Alarm

10/30/2018 at 3:22 PM

Hello William Owen "Bill" Irwin - On a Break studying for a new Job., I am not able to find this Ephraim Wheeler in the database.

Thank you.

Try this one Fredrick Alexander Carns at Buford's Massacre

10/31/2018 at 4:56 PM

Hello William Owen "Bill" Irwin - On a Break studying for a new Job., I did not find him either.

Thank you.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion