Enoch Creech - Children

Started by Private User on Saturday, July 20, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
Private User
7/20/2019 at 7:45 PM

For the children listed, a couple of them are incorrectly named. However, when you click on them to view their profile, the name shows correctly. Profile managers need to correct this. Example: Abigail Abby is suppose to be Martha Abigail. Rose Anna is suppose to be just Anna, her first name is not Rose. Now, Enoch and Susannah did not have a daughter named Obedience Biidie Mays Creech. I have no idea who that even is.

I have been doing genealogy on my family for over 18 years. Enoch and Susannah are my 5th great grandparents. Keep in mind when doing genealogy on the Creech's, they married into families but kept the same name in just about every generation and would intermarry back into the family. What do I mean by this? Anna "Amy" Creech, who is a cousin to Enoch, married James H. Metcalf. Anna's brother married James' sister Nancy Metcalf. Their son, John C Metcalf, married the great granddaughter to Enoch, Sarah Jane Creech.

Rose Davis Mitchell
great granddaughter to John C Metcalf & Sarah Jane Creech Metcalf
4th great granddaughter to Enoch and Susannah Creech

Private User
7/20/2019 at 7:46 PM

My link to them under my name is correct. I should have stated that in the 2nd paragraph instead of 5th great grandparents.

7/21/2019 at 9:22 AM

Hi Rose;
Congratulations on your 18 years of research on your family tree, I have only been working on it for 58 years. I will take a look at your concerns as soon as I can. Enoch is my third great-grand father, and was my grand-mother, Grace Ellison (Setser, Creech) first great-grandfather. At Grace's passing there we more Creech's there than you shake a stick at. I met a great many people from the Creech family in the 1950's, many who had been born in the 1800's. At the time of Grace's passing I was given Grace's bible with all the family records and a lot of ancestry research that a Lady Attorney in London, KY. had been working on for years. It is going to take me a little while to look back into this as I have not worked on it years. But I will try and fix what I can.

Please don't think because I am older, what I have put into the tree is necessarily correct, as I have found that many old family records are not correct. My grand father, as well as my father, had believed and told me my entire life that we were of the Cherokee nation, we are not, we are Choctaw. I also happen to have a picture of William Creech 1845 and his wife Sarah Sally Dixon.

Larry W. Chandler

Private User
7/22/2019 at 4:24 AM

Larry,

William Creech who married Sarah Sally Dixon was born in 1845 and is the Uncle Billy who donated the land for Pine Mountain Settlement School. He died a few years after the school started in 1913. Their photos and a lot of Creech history is listed on the school's archives website. That website is https://pinemountainsettlement.net/

I have always been told growing up that I was a Cherokee as well but found through my research that there is not any native DNA in any of my trees. I do agree with you, there are more Creech's than you can imagine. The Creech ancestry dates back to Creich, Fife, Scotland. The first ancestor to cross over was Richard Creech. As for why, I do not know why the original spelling of the family surname was changed.

Sometimes, when doing research, I begin to think our family didn't want anyone to know who they really were. Dates and names were changed often, people left off records, etc. It's like literally, trying to find a needle in a hay stack. I was told by Vital Records, that documents prior to 1940 are scarce because records were not mandatory before then. Also not to trust census records, especially from Harlan. People would have children but sometimes a child would go live with a relative to help out on the land. So the relative they were living with, would include them on their census instead of the actual parents.

I may have grew up in Harlan County but I am still learning about the place.

Private User
7/22/2019 at 4:31 AM

So apparently, there are 2 William H Creech's who married a Sarah Sally Dixon. Oh geez! The William Creech who you must be referring to is the Uncle of my great great grandmother, Anna "Amy" Creech Metcalf. Her father is Thomas Creech who married Celia Harrison.

7/22/2019 at 9:05 AM

Hi, Rose & Larry

I've done a bit of 'clean-up' of Enoch's children - can you take a look at them now?

If they all are there (none are missing, no "extras"), and his spouse & parents are correct, then I (or any Curator) can set a "lock" on his relationships so no unexpected changes will be made in the future.

Once that's done, then perhaps we can continue to verify the families up & down from there.

Private User
7/23/2019 at 5:56 PM

Hi Dan,

Sorry it took me a bit to reply back to you. From what I can tell at the current moment, it all looks correct. I wouldn't lock it just yet though unless names and things can be changed by a Curator. Who knows when that one little thing will creep in.

7/23/2019 at 6:36 PM

re: "locking" ... yes, any Curator can over-ride locks as needed.

There are two 'classes' of locks:

-- individual locks on fields within a profile (such as name, birth date, birth location, ...)

-- one "relationship lock" for a profile, which prevents (non-Curator) changes to the "connections" ... that is, that profile's parents, spouses, siblings, and children.

Note that the relationship lock (often abbreviated RL) does not prevent changes "within" a profile (only the field locks to that), nor does it prevent adding connections to the other profiles in that immediate family (e.g. spouses can be added to the existing children).

Are we good, then, to RL Enoch's immediate family?

7/23/2019 at 6:53 PM

In particular, also check his siblings, if you have information on them. He apparently has quite a few "half-siblings".

7/24/2019 at 7:06 AM

Dan and Rose;

I have not had a chance to review all the changes as I am my wife's 24/7 caregiver. So if Rose is happen with the changes go ahead and lock it.
A NOTE TO ROSE; Regarding your comment about not finding Native American DNA in your line. Don't be discouraged about that, as there is a very interesting thing about the Native American DNA, it seems it totally disappears by the fifth generation, I don't know why. My second great-grandmother on my father's line is full blooded Choctaw but the DNA does not show up for me or my father. It is just one of those odd things.
Larry.

Private User
7/24/2019 at 3:55 PM

Larry, I so agree with the DNA thing. Also, I give all my support to you for being your wife's caregiver. I am a stay at home mom to 2 boys and I am about to move my parents closer to me so I can become their caregiver. It's not easy but it gives you a piece of mind at how they are being cared for. If that makes sense.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion