Kalish Jews since the beginning of Jewish settlement in the city

Started by Haim Wartski(Hachoen) on Wednesday, May 20, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts
5/20/2020 at 11:51 AM

In a book on the history of the Kalish Jews, it says that the author of the book had records of all the Jews who lived in the city since the beginning of Jewish settlement in the city.
The listings were sold (I don't know who bought).
I'm looking for the person who bought the listings, does anyone have any information on the subject?
Has anyone done research on the city's Jews with emphasis from the beginning of its Jewish settlement until the mid-1700s?

Private User
5/20/2020 at 2:31 PM

When was the book written?

I've heard that some communities deliberately burned their records before WW2.

5/20/2020 at 8:02 PM

WOW. I would love to see that list.

5/20/2020 at 8:20 PM

This is the book (I write his name in Hebrew), but I must mention, the book has surnames of the important families in Kalish, including my family (wartski and halter)
The author of the book writes that in order to describe these families, their size, their attribution, and their influence on the jewish in Kalish, must write a book separately.
When I researched about the author of the book, I read that he had drawings of all the Jews in Kalish, since the beginning of Jewish settlement in the city, his family sold the drawings
the book:

תולדות יהודי קאליש,מאת בית-הלוי, ישראל דוד בן יצחק מאיר
הספר הודפס בתל אביב
בשנת:שנת הדפסה: תשכ"א

5/20/2020 at 8:41 PM

Private User
There are several books on the history of kalisz Jews. I have read all of them
Some books say about my great-grandfathers exactly what my father told me, but no mention of who my great-grandfather (4) was.
Using jri poland won't help both of us, our research has gone through much of the information written there.
We need to find someone who has done some serious research on the city's Jews, or get the lists

5/20/2020 at 9:49 PM

I'd be interested to see it too. How far back does it go? Kalisz is a particularly old Jewish settlement dating back to the 12th century.

Do you think the list has genealogical value? As in familial connections etc.?

5/20/2020 at 11:06 PM

I know he had lists of Jews from the beginning of Jewish settlement in the city. I don't know where he got the list
For a number of families (including my family) he had the Megillat Yuhasin of the families and to whom they are descendants
The lists have been sold (I don't know who) If we can find them, we will have all the information for our families many generations back
I know to whom the wartski family descendant , but I don't know how
I will give a few examples: the teomim& Horowitz familes , Shaul whal the Maharal from Prague up to Rashi

Private User
5/21/2020 at 6:42 AM

Haim Wartski(Hachoen) here's the library catalog details on that book. It was published in 1960 - https://www.jewishgen.org/databases/yizkor/yizkor.php?townid=54&amp...

Given that it is pretty recent, it might be possible to track down descendants (grandchildren?) of the author. They probably are in Israel.

Private User
5/21/2020 at 7:42 AM

I tracked the details of a grandchild. Anyone willing to contact her?

5/21/2020 at 8:42 AM

Do you have her details? Does she live in Israel?

5/21/2020 at 8:48 AM

According to the information I received, the family sold the listings at auction, maybe the granddaughter knows who bought it.
My concern is that the granddaughter does not know, only the sales house know , and they will not agree to give the buyer name.
Anyway if I have her details, I'll try to talk with her and ask for her help

5/21/2020 at 8:51 AM

Private User
The link you uploaded brings me to jewishgen's homepage,
Please send me the details by email or messenger

Private User
5/21/2020 at 8:57 AM

Haim Wartski(Hachoen) I think you have to be logged in. There isn't any additional info there that you don't already have though. I was just interested in finding the publication date.

5/21/2020 at 9:00 AM

Private User
I opened a discussion in the genealogy group in Israel. Unfortunately, no one has information that can advance us.
If we can find the listings, it will be a huge breakthrough for you and me

Private User
5/21/2020 at 9:51 AM

It might be in a university library somewhere - maybe Hebrew Uinversity or something.

A lot of communities used to have records like this. Typically records of ketuvot and brit milah. I've seen references to this sort of record for Ostrowo (a little West of Kalisz), and other places. The Ostrowo records still existed in the 1890s, because there was a study of the community at the time that was commissioned by the Prussian government, and it references the records. Those only went back to the 1700s though.

The problem is, any time there was any sort of trouble with the government, or a war, the community used to burn the records to make sure nobody got hold of them. A lot of the records were lost in the Napoleanic wars that way, and also in WW1 and the Shoah.

If the Kalisz records still exist, they probably would go back to the 1600s or so. Likely not earlier, because of the Deluge (the Swedish Wars in the 1660s).

5/21/2020 at 11:02 AM

Private User
I wish that indeed such listings exist and we manage to reach them. Personally because I know to whom I am offspring it will provide me to connect to the general tree.
Because Kalish was an important city for Polish Jewish , I believe there are people who have researched Kalish Jewish,

Private User
5/22/2020 at 12:25 AM

Haim Wartski(Hachoen)
The auction house MIGHT not reveal the identity of the buyer, but wouldn't they agree to contact the buyer to contact someone of the group?

5/22/2020 at 12:48 AM

They may agree, should try. The problem: whether the buyer will agree to share us the information

Private User
5/24/2020 at 3:58 AM

Haim Wartski(Hachoen) As long we don't try we won't know.
Anyone has an idea which auction house sold the list?

5/24/2020 at 4:19 AM

I read that the family sold the listings, I don't know which auction house,
I was hoping the buyer would read and identify.
I opened a discussion in the genealogy group in Israel, unfortunately, no one has any information
I believe it is worthwhile to open discussions in different groups on Facebook,
English is not my native language, so I would be very happy for anyone to open discussions in the different groups in English, and can better explain what we are looking for

Private User
5/24/2020 at 4:44 AM
5/24/2020 at 5:11 AM

Yes,

Private User
5/24/2020 at 5:59 AM

Says not sold. Is anyone reaching out to them to ask about the seller? I'm guessing this isn't the original sale.

An archive like this really should be in a research library or university.

5/24/2020 at 7:34 AM

Private User
I'll write them an email, I very much hope they answer

5/24/2020 at 7:45 AM

Update: I emailed them

Private User
5/24/2020 at 11:03 AM

Anyone here that has any connections with a university, library, archive or other institution that might be interested in buying it?

5/24/2020 at 11:29 AM

I believe there are those who have done research on Jewish settlement in Kalish.
I opened a post in Israel, no one answered
In my opinion, discussions on the subject should be opened in different groups on Facebook

5/25/2020 at 6:08 AM

Update: This is the answer I got:
Shalom Mr. Wartski,
We cannot disclose any details regarding the owner of the archive.
In any case, the owner is a dealer so I do not think that he will be able to assist you.
Best wishes,
Esther Strauss

Private User
5/25/2020 at 6:15 AM

The archive was on auction in 2012 by Kedem Auction House, Jerusalem. At that time no one bought it.

An email message I got today:

Thank you for contacting Kedem.
This item was offered a long time ago but there may be a chance that it is still available.
Before we contact the owner, we must receive you confirmation of the price since it is quite a hassle to get the items to our office.
The price is $3500 to which you must add 20% commission of $700 and if the items are collected and not shipped abroad VAT of $119. The total for payment is $4200.
We also need you to please phone the office with your confirmation at 972-77-5140223.
We will then be able to contact the owner.

Private User
5/25/2020 at 7:00 AM

Perhaps Professor David Assaf could shed some light?

Showing 1-30 of 43 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion