Badatelna.eu will be discontinued

Started by Randy Schoenberg on Thursday, July 9, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 21 posts
7/9/2020 at 6:10 PM

For those of you who have not been following the discussions in our Facebook Group,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/353398325120768/permalink/939199796...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/353398325120768/permalink/950030345...

We have learned that the badatelna.eu website will be taken down in the near future and all our links to those records will not function anymore. In order to save at least some of the information, Geni's General Manager Mike Stangel has come up with a brilliant script that takes all of our links to Badatelna and adds low-resolution screenshots of those pages as a source under the Media tab of the profile. You can still get to Badatelna (while it still exists) by clicking to view the source document and then clicking Visit URL. But we have been told that those links will not be working very soon.

Supposedly, all of the records we have been using on Badatelna will be available at https://vademecum.nacr.cz/vademecum/, but I do not know if they have all been adde yet. We still need to come up with a guide to finding things on Vadamecum.

Private User
7/9/2020 at 7:38 PM

At least some of the relevant Jewish registers appeared online at https://vademecum.nacr.cz/vademecum/ at the time when the "Translocation Plans for Lands of the Bohemian Crown" were announced to Geni people, and were linked-to from Town Plan pages (in the second "panel," called "Expanded"). Vademecum.nacr.cz titles the collection "ŽIDOVSKÉ MATRIKY 1784 - 1949 (1960), Číslo pomůcky / Utility Number 1646." The "Browse This Aid" tab produces a list of the "matriky a indexy."
The number of Badatelna links already embedded in Geni Profiles is amazing to contemplate. We are lucky to have Mr. Stangel on it.

7/9/2020 at 10:02 PM

What a pity. I use the badatelna web site quite a lot to resarch births marriages and deahs of my Bohemian/Moravian ancestors.
I wonder why these most valuable records will no longer be available.

7/9/2020 at 10:05 PM

By the way, I tried to access the vademcum site and got error code 500. Can you suggest how to get around this?

7/10/2020 at 2:26 AM

https://vademecum.nacr.cz/vademecum/ works
for badatelna fond 1073 (matriky) use NAD č. 167 there are old and NEW records
and use the town name too
for 241 (kontrolní matriky) use 167 there is nothing yet
for 2098 use 29 (familiants) use 29 there is only an overview yet

Private User
7/10/2020 at 8:26 AM

It appears that the documents that are/were in Fond 1073 on badatelna.eu are also available on vademecum.nacr.cz. To get the records:
In the search bar at top, type "Zidovske matriky"
The fourth item has a red icon that looks like a book -- Zidovske Matriky 1784-1949 (1960). Click on that item.
You may be able to shortcut the first two steps with this link, but it hasn't always worked for me: https://vademecum.nacr.cz/vademecum/permalink?xid=f86bf41ed11ae5f01...
The next screen will have a grey box with two maroon icons towards the right. Click on the top one (Listovani v pomucce)
This brings you to the index of the books in the Fond. It seems to be all of the books from Fond 1073.

7/12/2020 at 10:37 PM

Thanks to everyone for sharing what you've learned. I've been using the new site a bit.

On the positive side, I've found at least one resister that hadn't been online at the badatelna site, and at least one with more scans on the new site (though I haven't explored enough to see which scans were added).

Unfortunately, I've discovered several ways in which navigating the new site is more difficult than the old one. Perhaps I just haven't discovered some tricks yet, or there will be improvement made:

1) On the main page that Private User describes, it is not generally easy to see a list of all the registers for a town (as it is on the main page at badatelna). Sometimes when I click on a town name it shows me a partial list on the lower left portion of the page. But I usually do not see this, and I haven't figured out why it sometimes appears. Instead I have to navigate trough the registers 'blindly" - which can be quite tedious for a town with many registers.

2) I have not found a way to display a page with thumbnail images for all the images from a register. This can be very handy for navigating some registers - navigating registers where many pages contain no actual records, or estimating where certain breaks between sections occur.

3) Apparently the site uses cookies to navigate within a register (and perhaps on the main page as well). That means if you try to open multiple registers in different windows (e.g. an index and a full register) when you return to an earlier register and try to advance a page, you can find yourself in the wrong register. There may be workarounds, like refreshing the page from the permalink each time you switch between registers.

I hope we can learn to use the new site well.

7/13/2020 at 9:37 AM

I just tried to use the link Brian suggested and just gave up. Although I am fairly OK in Czech and fluent in German and English, I got nowhere. Does this new way of displaying records have some sort of translator?
Thanks...The old hand written records, sometimes difficult to read were nevertheless photos of the original records. In what form are the vademecum records displayed? Has someone tried to read the originals and now typed them up? I just never got far enough to find out.

7/14/2020 at 2:58 AM

I think it is worth trying again following Brian Blitz (and Martin Dostal).

I eventually found my way in to the registers using their instructions but found the display inferior to that to which we have been used.

Private User
7/14/2020 at 11:39 PM

I have found my way through the new site to the registers i am interested in checking BUT it is so annoying that for each page I have to click the translate button. I cannot get the English translation to stay while I am working & checking the registers. Finding your way into the relevant Registers is certainly harder than the Badatelna.eu site was. I guess we all have to learn how to use this new confuguration.

Private User
7/15/2020 at 7:19 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but is this a reorganization of the currently available records into a different format / program, such that all the these records will still be available but must be accessed in a different way, or is this a restriction / reduction of the currently available records?

Also, echoing another researcher's question, is it at all possible to have one of the large jewish genealogy organizations purchase the old website and corresponding archived records? Not as a replacement to the new "regime" but as an adjunct?

7/16/2020 at 2:03 AM

My impression is that there are more registers than I have found previously eg the ones available via http://www.portafontium.eu/contents/register/ including the following

Evangelical Church (1581-1949)
Roman Catholic Church (1539-1949)
Czechoslovak Church (1923-1949)
Church of The Czech-Fraternic Evangelical (1915-1949)
Fraternal Unity Church (1945-1949)
Greek Catholic Church (1946-1949)
The Orthodox Church (1948-1949)
District Office, National Committee (1869-1949)
Standesamt (1938-1945)

Geni expert Martin Dostal located a n important record from my family from one of these sources that I could never have hoped to otherwise find..

So may be things will work out.

7/19/2020 at 12:51 PM

I have created a mapping of links to the Fond 1073 registers at the badatelna site to the register numbers. I have uploaded it to https://www.geni.com/document/Jewish-Communities-in-Bohemia-and-Mor...

I will make similar documents for Fonds 241 and 2098.

7/19/2020 at 11:14 PM

I have added the mapping for Fond 241: https://www.geni.com/document/Jewish-Communities-in-Bohemia-and-Mor...

I'm not quite sure how to proceed with Fond 2098. It's easy for the registers with an HBF designation, but I don't know how to cite the others (at the bottom of the page).

Private User
8/24/2020 at 1:06 AM

This may not be precisely on topic, but I have a Familianten related question that this group of experts may be able to help with. I am descended from the Bernard Freund a.k.a. Isaachar Baer Freund Familianten family that lived in Malesice near Pilsen and is recorded on Familiant: 109 HBF XII/VI Plzeňský Malesice a Kozolupy (SS); folio: 53 image 9 . About a mile away in next door Wenussen there was another famiilanten for the Bernard Tulipan family Familiant: 109 HBF XII/VI Plzeňský Malesice a Kozolupy (SS); folio: 53 image 31.

Both men are listed in the 1793 and 1799 Jewish censuses. However, when Bernard Tulipan dies in Wenussen in 1808, he’s listed as Bernard Freund. Furthermore, in his familianten itself, Bernard Tulipan’s sons Philip, Samuel and Salomon/Solomon are listed as Freunds, and all the male descendants go by the name of Freund.

I know there are other explanations, but I am wondering whether Bernard Tulipan took on his wife Marie’s family name. Of course all of the families in these villages were inter-related, but there does seem to be a close connection between Bernard (Tulipan) Freund’s family and Bernard (Issachar Baer) Freunds family. A big clue and possibly the answer may lie in Bernard Tulipan’s Familienten record in the notations for his eldest son Phillip. Given my very limited German and my continual struggle to completely make out the old script, I am not sure exactly what it says. However I can make it out the words “Bernard Tulipan and his Marie Freund” and then a few words later “kinder” (children). This seems unusual.

I believe you cannot post pictures in these messages, but I uploaded the Familienten page, and a close-up of the specific text, on my profile. Would anyone be proficient enough with these records to decipher exactly what the notes say? Thank you so very much in advance for any help, Michael

8/25/2020 at 8:36 AM

It looks like it says Philipp's father Bernard Tulipen took the name Freund and gave it to his children, and was deceased. (It does not say Marie, but "den Namen Freund angenommen" = took the name Freund.)

https://media.geni.com/p13/d7/e4/43/c3/5344485883f6217f/image1_orig...
https://media.geni.com/p13/07/98/c3/39/5344485883f62181/image0_orig...

Private User
8/25/2020 at 10:05 PM

Thank you Randy! That is very helpful. I had wondered why he had taken the name Bernard Freund when there was another Bernard Freund in the neighboring village, but I suppose the reason isn't yet clear. Bernard Tulipen Freund was the wealthiest man in Wenussen, and Bernard Freund was the second wealthiest in Malesice, (at least judging by the taxes they paid in 1783), so maybe that is a clue.

Private User
10/3/2020 at 8:32 PM

On Badatalena, I find Inv. 1335, an index of birth and death records in the Domazlice district. This index references a number of births and deaths I am interested in from the 1840s to the 1860s in Osvracin. It seems to list a volume and page for each record. However n putting Osvracin in the index, I find a number of Fonds, but none of them have the referenced births in the 1840s-1860's. (or any births) Does anyone know what record book(s) this index is referring to? Perhaps Catholic copies of Jewish records? Is there anywhere on Badatalena that has these referenced records?

Thank you so much!

OFFICIAL BOOKS (registries and indexes)

NAHOŠICE (Father Domažlice)

index
1335 NOZ 1840-1930

Private User
5/5/2021 at 2:17 PM

Is anyone aware of a list of additional items added when the data in Badatelna was added/migrated to vademecum?

Private User
8/12/2021 at 10:41 AM

I'm cross-posting the following that I posted on Facebook so it is here for reference:

have a large number of hyperlinks in my own notes that linked to badatelna without keeping the name of the book (e.g., Dobris #308). Those links followed the format www. badatelna. eu /fond/1073/reprodukce/?zaznamId=554&reproId=152187. I've been able to find a way to navigate to the correct Vademecum volume (but not page) in former 1073 with only the link.

To get to the right volume in Vademecum, the documents formerly in Fond 1073 correspond to Vademecum NAD 167, and those in Fond 241 correspond to Vademecum 144.

For those former Fond 1037 records, the portion of the link after "zaznamId=" seems to directly correspond to their number in Vademecum if you subtract one number. So for the example above, zaznamID=554 corresponds to item 553 in Vademecum. once you've reached the list of 3935 volumes in Vademecum 167, put the zaznamID (less one) in the box next to "celkem" . So in my example, I would input 553 in that list, and it would take me to Hlubos N 1840-1865.
Unfortunately,

I haven't figured out how the page numbers (reproId) in the badatelna links work. Hope this helps.

11/16/2021 at 1:23 AM

Thanks for these findings, Brian! Have you been able to figure out the page numbers?

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion