Started by Joseph Putnam on Friday, November 6, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 13 posts
11/6/2020 at 4:41 PM

Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson

I wouldn't have to dig around a bit but im pretty shure according to the Sagas Ragnar is a decendant of Odin. Why isnt he connected to Odin on geni? I realize to some this may just be old stories but to me as a Hethan a decendant and a follower of Odin it is more than that.

11/6/2020 at 5:10 PM

There have been a lot of discussions about some of these profiles recently. Might try searching in "Projects". I will search too to see what I can find. Lots always come up this time of year, seems like.

11/6/2020 at 5:13 PM

Thank you

Here is someone else's work on Ragnar Lodbrok this is my line to Odin. They can try to dispute it but if is there if you look. Has a follower of Odin my self and some personal experiences I hold some slightly different out looks on this lineage.

Historical lineage of Ragnars ancestors and descendants

I just wasted 12 hours... I don't know why, but once I started I had to see it through. It started simply enough, I was just looking up Ragnar on wikipedia. I wondered what his lineage might be, and if he actually could trace his roots back to Odin. As I'm sure everyone here knows, Ragnar himself is likely an amalgamation of sever different vikings, but his sons and father are both widely accepted to be historically accurate. Likewise, there are places in the line where some leaps have to be made, but I did my best to make sure there is at least some explanation for the leaps taken.
And once I got all the way to the beginning of the line, some stupid switch went off in my brain, and I decided to track it in the other direction, to see if I could get to a living person.

Ragnar's Ancestors

Ragnar Lodbrok, Lothbrok, Ragnarr Loðbrók, Regner Lothbrog, Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson

Sigurd Hring, Sigurðr hringr, Siwardus Ring, Sigurd "Ring" Randversson

Randver, Randvér, Randver På Gardarike Radbartsson

Ráðbarðr, Raðbarðr, Rathbarth, Radbart, king of Garðaríki

Skira Ingvarsson, Skirta, Sigurd, Sigvard, Sigwardus

This was where the first leap had to be made. There is no source that concretely ties Radbart to any father. My first clue was on Radbarts geni page it says "Parents: Unknown[...]common claim: Father is Skira Ingvarsson". From there I remembered seeing an "Ingvar" earlier, so I found him on wikipedia, and sure enough it has a passage from Ynglingasaga that makes reference to Ingvar having a second son named Sigurd or Sigvard. The actualy untranslated text reads Sigwardus.

Ingvar, Yngvar Harra, Ingvar "the Tall" Øysteinsson, or Eysteinsson

This wasn't a leap after finding Skira, but just to double check, I made sure to reference back and forth between geni, and wikipedia's exceprts from Ynglingasaga. Yngvar is the son of Eysteinn or Östen. Geni lists Ingvar with the surname Eysteinsson, or Øysteinsson, which literally means Øystein's son.

Eysteinn, Östen, Eysteinn Adilsson, Östen Adilsson

Eadgils, Adils, Adils "The Great" Ottarsson, Aðils

Ohthere, Ohtere, Óttarr vendilkráka, Ottar (Vendilkrava) Egilsson

Egill, Ongenþeow, Egil Vendelcrow, Egil Anunsson

Not a huge strech here, it says on the wiki page that Egil and Ongentheow are universally identified to be the same person. They both occupy the same position in line of Swedish Kings, and they are both described as the fathers of Ohthere and grandfathers of Eadgils. Good enough for me.

Aun "The Aged" Jorundsson, Aun "den gamle" Jörundsson, Aun, Aun the Old

Jörund Yngvasson, Jorund, Jörundr

Yngvi Alreksson, Yngvi

Alrek Agnasson, Alaric, Alrekr

Agni "the Powerful" Dagsson, Agne, Agni Skjálfarbondi

Dag the Wise, Dagr Spaka, Dagr Spaka Dyggvasson

Dyggvi "the Brave" Domarsson

Domar Domaldasson

Domaldi Visbursson, Domalde, Dómaldr

Visbur Vanlandasson, Wisbur

Vanlande Sveigdasson, Wanlanda Sveigdirson, Vanlande

Svegdi Fjolnarsson, Sveigðir, Swegde

Fjolnir Yngvi-Freysson, Fjǫlnir

I thought it interesting to note, according to Grottasöngr, Fjolnir and Caesar Augustus were contemporaries (63 BC – AD 14)

Yngve-Freyr Njordson, Freyr, Frey - Vanir

Njord, Njörðr - Vanir

Yngvi Odinsson

Biggest stretch I've made so far, but bear with me. Njord's geni page lists no father, so I had to do a lot of digging to find anything.

In the Íslendingabók saga the father of Njord is given as Yngvi Tyrkja konungr, or "Yngvi king of Turkey".

The Skjöldunga saga states that Odin gave Sweden to his son Yngvi. also it says Odin is asian?

In the Historia Norwegiæ, Ingui is the first king of Sweden, and the father of a certain Neorth, who is the father of Froyr

In light of this new information I began searching again on geni for all the different variations of Yngvi that I could find. And I found Yngvi Odinsson, King of Sweden.

Yngvi's son is listed here as Niordde Noatun, which is weird, but Niordde isn't much different than Njörðr. And when you open up geni's page for Niordde, it lists Yngvi Frey Niordsson as his child.

For the purposes of this fun side project, I can take a few liberties, I'm not writing a research paper here. With all the information given stating that Njord's father is named some variation of Yngvi, and ruling out Freyr being his own grandfather, I'm going to go ahead and say definitively that Yngvi /= Yngvi-Freyr. Thats not my words, 3 different sagas corroborate the Yngvi - Njord - Freyr lineage.
Knowing they are two different entities, the geni entry I found for Yngvi Odinsson becomes very believable. Despite not having any sources on that page that I can check, the evidence supports a figure called Yngvi being Njords father.

Odin, Óðinn

Borr

Buri

Buri was "formed by the cow Auðumbla licking the salty ice of Ginnungagap during the time of Ymir." I'm listing Buri as descending from a cow.

Auðumbla

According to the Gylfaginning, "Then said Gangleri: 'Where dwelt Ymir, or wherein did he find sustenance?' Hárr answered: 'Straightway after the rime dripped, there sprang from it the cow called Auðumla; four streams of milk ran from her udders, and she nourished Ymir.'"
So... It's Ymir's cow.

Ymir, Aurgelmir, Brimir, Bláinn0

11/6/2020 at 5:13 PM

Hello Joseph, I am 99% sure that I also remember there is a saga that states Ragnar was a descendant of Odin (I don't recall which one), it is actually quite a common claims that the hero of the saga is somehow descendant from Odin.

Geni is a collaborative evidence based genealogy website.

The saga's are not impartial black and white historical records, they were written sometimes hundreds of years after the events, they were written the engage and entertain their audiences, they were written under partonage of the nobles they engrandised (or who's enemies they vilified). The easiest way to understand this to observe that the sagas contradict each other and are not a cohesive record. I am sure you also realise that the sagas which we have now are but a tiny portion of those which have been created and lost.

My point therefore is that one saga stating Ragnar was a descendant of Odin is not evidence enough to connect him to Odin on Geni, without even considering the meaning of the word descendant nor how accurate a translation it may be from the original nor how literal the composer of the saga had intended the statement to be.

11/6/2020 at 5:19 PM

I understand your points

11/6/2020 at 5:32 PM

We are cross posting so I will stop for a while but here is something to consider when you said:

"Ragnar himself is likely an amalgamation of sever different vikings, but his sons and father are both widely accepted to be historically accurate."

Firstly, I agree on the amalgamation idea. If he is an amalgamation then he has multiple fathers and all his sons are not connected to each other. So the descendants of his "sons" have no verifiable link to any of the potential fathers or their ancestors.

Second, which father do you claim is widely accepted as historically accurate? I would guess you are talking of Sigurdr Hring who is mentioned in a saga but that is not the same as him being historical (nor is the fact that he is on Geni proof of anything)?

Now revisit this in light of: "Civil war broke out after King Hemming died. Einhard's Annales record that news of the death of "Hemmingus Danorum rex" arrived in 812, that "Sigifridus nepos Godofredi regis et Anulo nepos Herioldi quondam regis" both claimed the succession, and that the faction supporting "Anulonis" was victorious, with "fratres eius Herioldum et Reginfredum" being installed as kings."

Hundreds of years later these Danish claimants to the throne, cousins Sigifridus and Anulo, were conflated in the sagas into a powerful king named Sigurdr Hring.

11/6/2020 at 6:00 PM

Just for the record what I posted was someone else's work not my particular outlook. If there is another thred for this could you please post a link. Thank you for your input.

11/6/2020 at 10:13 PM

This one is a very long thread but it has lots of information Ragnar "Lodbrok" Sigurdsson#

There are 23 discussion threads linked to that Ragnar profile (they can been viewed by choosing the Discussions tab on the profile page). The About on his profile page goes into quite some detail and there are links at the bottom to other sites.

Also https://www.geni.com/projects/Ragnar-Lodbrog/27426

There are also a few documents linked to his profile, he is a paradox in that the more you learn about him the less you know about him (in my opinion).

11/6/2020 at 10:15 PM

Sorry first link didn't work, this one will and takes you past the first bit which isn't informative https://www.geni.com/discussions/129645?msg=904068

11/7/2020 at 1:09 AM

Thank you

1/17/2021 at 5:02 PM

Is this genealogy line real? Is my 36 Great grandfather

1/17/2021 at 8:58 PM

If you want a short answer it will be "no".

Private User
8/23/2022 at 12:13 AM

I can't find the saga mentioning Ragnar's descent from Odin using those links above because I can't read or the comment was deleted.

Halp?

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion