what you do is find the two copies of the profiles the two trees have in common.
1) Open the tree of one of them,
2) Place your mouse over that person's box.
3) Select the Move option show in the box (possibly under the "more" option). This will cause a copy of their box to appear in a side-bar "menu" on the right side.
4) Open the tree of the other copy.
5) Wait a few seconds after the tree is drawn for the side-bar to appear.
6) With your mouse, drag the box off of the side-bar onto the other copy.
7) in the menu that pops up, select "they are the same person".
8) Wait a moment for the profile-comparison screen to appear.
9) Verify that the two profiles are in fact the same, and OK the merge.
Shmuel to the rescue!
Welcome to Geni, Lyle. I think you will find many friendly people here willing, and happy, to assist. Collaborators are a great resource. Another great place to find help is in the "Attention Curators" discussion. http://www.geni.com/discussions/80793