Geni Server has slowed to a crawl!!!

Started by Angus Wood-Salomon on Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 181-210 of 728 posts
<private> McCann
10/9/2013 at 3:57 PM

sorry I didn't get back to you promptly.. after the private message I've had a lot on my mind dealing with a pending arivial of joy in my family i've cleared geni from facebook trying to keep the both of em seperate and log in with my password works fine now. must just have been system slowness or somthing working now.
I will restart the pc and see if the problem repeats it self..
Not sure I am ready to be a uncle just yet..

10/11/2013 at 12:55 PM

I am having a problem when entering and saving to profiles. Geni will sit an churn for a while, Flash spinner going then I get "504 Gateway Time-out
nginx/1.4.2 " . Is anyone else having this problem?

tagging Mike Stangel

10/11/2013 at 1:00 PM

Michael - congrats on the impending new tree node! ;-)

Eldon - on all pages, or just the tree?

John Smith
10/11/2013 at 1:01 PM

My experience over the last 20 minutes or so has been that GENi logs itself out of Internet Explorer immediately after I hit the SAVE button, but then I just immediately hit Search, instantly find the site for GENi and click the link, which brings GENi back up, and each time my information has been saved and updated and shows up on my Revisions tab and I just carry on working. Odd, but not much of a hassle I suppose. I just now signed out and signed back in to see if that fixes the problem.

10/11/2013 at 1:06 PM

W - hit Save on what screen? Editing profiles? When you say logs itself out, do you mean you're taken to the Geni home page and you're no longer logged into the site? Or some kind of error page? Thanks...

10/11/2013 at 1:30 PM

Mike Stangel Not the tree, It saves any new profiles from tree OK but then I go to the profile to add info that I can't add in tree mode, add the info and click save. That is when it does it.

John Smith
10/11/2013 at 1:38 PM

Mike,
I am working in the tree . . .on profiles . . .updates, additions, and merges.
When I say that GENi logs itself out of IE that's exactly what I mean. The IE page says that the GENi page cannot be found. I'm still logged in, though, because when I seach, find, and click my way back to GENi on the now blank IE tab, everything is saved and updated and I just keep working.
Also, and I think this is important, if I keep the tree view open to just the immediate generations I'm working in (1 ancestor, 1 descendant) things go more smoothly.

<private> McCann
10/11/2013 at 1:44 PM

Mike Stangel thanks! looking forward to spending time with my nephew when he makes his arivial into the world. and w.. I do not have that problem because I find internet explorer way too buggy gives me blue screen's of doom on my pc far too offen with any browsing let alone geni.. Instead i use chrome and firefox much more realable except for the occasional java\flash problem but a delete cookies fixes that does it.. and I have not done any tree work as of yet because i have been too busy with helping my sis in law and brother first time parents have way too many questions.. LOL i will see if i can duplicate what eldon is saying and then report back

Private User
10/11/2013 at 2:41 PM

Yes - tree building awful today - adding a profile resulted in churning/ waiting for ages - then message if it didn't need refreshing of a problem encountered - then finding the same profile twice or more times!! I gave up in the hope that there would have been an improvement or fix later. Hopefully tomorrow ill be better!

<private> McCann
10/11/2013 at 2:52 PM

I can confirm Private User and eldon's claim.. I don't know what the cause is though

10/11/2013 at 3:08 PM

Private User I waited several days before reporting it. Let's hope Mike can get it fixed, probably another Flash problem.

10/12/2013 at 1:36 AM

Also not showing matches, even though i know they are there.

10/12/2013 at 1:47 AM

Be very careful about what you wish for... a multitude of matches suddenly appeared.

10/12/2013 at 7:53 AM

Mike Stangel This is what is happening now. New profile, I entered all the data, clicked save and I get this.
http://www.geni.com/profile/edit_basics/6000000022931710052
Not much use trying to add or edit anything until this is fixed.

10/12/2013 at 7:55 AM

Mike Stangel Well, this time it worked, about the 5th try.

10/13/2013 at 8:00 AM

Just tried to add a profile. Geni churned for about 5 minutes and then the message "We are having trouble" etc. Reloaded the tree and found 5 duplicates of the profile. I hope this is not the start of another bad day.

10/13/2013 at 8:36 AM

I don't know that posting here is actually helpful, but yes, the site is painfully slow today. I'm going to give it a few hours before trying anything major again. I can't even load my tree. :(

Private User
10/13/2013 at 2:31 PM

I always have trouble adding photos. Had no trouble removing some , thou!

10/13/2013 at 6:02 PM

Cross reference : bug report on the help platform

http://help.geni.com/entries/22950150-Can-t-add-people-properly

If you click that link, press "me too"

10/14/2013 at 7:33 PM

Has there been any word on our problem today??

I have had the same problems that you have and more.

I went into detail on the bug report if you can read it and not fall asleep because it is so long.

Just ask Erica!!!!! She called me a nerd. LOL

10/14/2013 at 8:18 PM

Takes one to know one, DK. :).

I did hear back that Geni will look into the issue. I'm having no problem adding profiles today myself. So I would think its an intermittent bug & not necessarily easy to extract its fly wings ....

10/14/2013 at 10:53 PM

I just added my first profile today and I am still having my same problem!

I tried to add a father profile. When I hit the save button it ran for a couple of minutes and then gave me this error message, "Add Failed, already has parents". I refreshed the screen and returned to where I tried to add the father. The father profile was added twice with the duplicate in the mother's profile position. Both were Blue boxes like there were two fathers and no mother.

The Death Location that I entered was also missing on both profiles. The Death Date was present, but not the Location.

I did not hit the "Go Back" button because it was taking a long time. I just saved the profile and this was the results of the entry that I made.

10/15/2013 at 9:48 AM

Still having the same problems also. Added a sibling and got 6 copies,then added his wife and got six copies of her. Also terribly slow doing merges it takes as long as 1 minute 15 seconds from mouse click to completion. I think I will just quit for a while then try and clean up this duplication mess

10/15/2013 at 10:36 AM

Same for me. Duplication of an added profile, horribly slow, and doesn't save all the detail entered after waiting for a very long time.

I give up. I had very little sleep last night and feel sick. I may not try again until tomorrow.

I entered a long bug report last night if you want to look at it.

10/15/2013 at 10:56 AM

The same problem with saving and "crawling" is an understatement.

10/15/2013 at 12:16 PM

@all - we are investigating the slowness reported. Thank you all for your patience!

10/15/2013 at 12:51 PM

Alex Clayton White What about the multiple profiles? I filed a bug report about that.

10/15/2013 at 1:17 PM

Alex Clayton White I've seen other reports of the same issue (profile duplication) too. If it hits an user, it apparently hits that particular user hard! If you post something we can point to saying "we know there's a problem and we're working on it", please send us a pointer!

10/15/2013 at 1:25 PM

Eldon Clark (C) The mutliple profiles issue is a symptom of the site slowness/server overload, consistent with other issues reported in this thread. I'll keep this thread updated as I find out more from our engineering team.

Private User
10/15/2013 at 1:38 PM

We have users where the system is looping when adding profiles.

Showing 181-210 of 728 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion