Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 11 posts
Private User
12/22/2010 at 10:07 PM

You should not have to give any card numbers. Its not free.

Private User
12/22/2010 at 10:47 PM

It's free to build your tree. If you want to see hot matches or how you are related to a distant relative, that's not free. Otherwise, it IS a free site. You can build a full family tree and invite your relatives for nothing...

Private User
12/22/2010 at 11:04 PM

yes its free if you know your ancesters, but not if you want to search. so its not free. I shall stick with Ancestry uk. you know where you are with them up front.

Private User
12/23/2010 at 12:50 AM

It is only automatic search (tree-matches) that is not free. You can still use the search field in the top left corner, with a few exceptions in the advanced section.

What features you get is however not locked, and as far as I know none-Pro users will get more of current Pro features and new Pro features will be added.

The most important update in near future is better revision handling, which includes reverting changes.

Requiring a card-number to get advanced features like cutting connections and uploading gedcom's (currently disabled) is important for me because it forces people to identify them self. There has been a big problem with fake accounts and abandoned GEDCOM uploads.

Becoming a Pro member does NOT help you finding your ancestors, simply because Geni is not building the tree, - the users are, by collaboration and sharing sources.

You could take a long-shot by for example start a public discussion posting a link to a profile that is a dead end for you and ask if anyone can help you.

Private User
12/23/2010 at 6:28 AM

The term used to describe the business model is Freemium.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Freemium

Freemium is a business model that works by offering a basic product or service free of charge (such as software, web services or other) while charging a premium for advanced features, functionality, or related products and services. The word "freemium" is a portmanteau combining the two aspects of the business model: "free" and "premium". The business model has gained popularity with Web 2.0 and open source companies.

11/8/2015 at 4:33 AM

If somebody wants to be pedantic, then the better complaint will be with the word "professional".

A professional is somebody who gets paid for what they do, as in "professional basketball player", "professional dominatrix", etc. But on Geni a "professional" is a hobbyist who actually paid to do their hobby, i.e. a complete opposite of a "professional".

Private User
11/8/2015 at 4:43 AM

Geni have for e along time ago started to name it Premium Subscriptions

http://help.geni.com/forums/382722-Premium-Subscriptions

11/8/2015 at 5:16 AM

I still see "PRO" and not "PRE" next to my name.

Private User
11/9/2015 at 10:18 PM

um - maybe as in - a Basic Member is Neutral - a Pro Member is Pro Geni. Whatever it is supposedly short for - a Pro Membership does not mean one is a Professional.

11/9/2015 at 11:08 PM

Maybe it's "Pro" as the opposite of "Con". As in somebody who found pros (reasons to do something) in order to join and had no cons (reasons against something).

So you weighed pros and cons of paying for Geni account, and decided to become a "PRO".

Private User
11/10/2015 at 8:21 AM

Ah, the mysteries of English slang & subscription branding!

I recently watched (again) "West Side Story" (1961). The authors "invented" their own teen slang "jibber jabber" as they were aware how quickly it could become dated ....:):)

Lois is correct that a "basic" membership is a "neutral state.". It is not a "less than" meaning in terms of using Geni.

So a "pro" membership is a "more than" value.

Perhaps change the badge to +> for better internationalization.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion