1/13/2011 at 8:26 AM
Dear Family and Friends,
Are any of your family able to assist me with answers to the following questions concerning the surname HOUZET and also the surname HOUZE, both names being familiar to Belgium and Nord-Pas-de-Calais:
1. Does anyone know whether he or she perhaps has a genetic relationship with my great-grandfather, Jean Baptiste HOUZET [born in Tournai, Belgium] who immigrated to South Africa in 1857 after enlisting with the British Foreign Legion at Shorncliff for the Crimean War in 1855 and giving his address as "Blandain NO 3, Tourni"? I attached a copy of my great-grandfather’s military Attestation papers in my family website together with other relevant details. The website address is as follows:
3. I suspect that my ancestor might be the same person whose birth certificate is also to be found in my website. It would be nice to find out whether anyone you know perhaps has a genetic relationship with this Jean Baptiste HOUZET [born in Blandain, Belgium on 14th August 1818 and with his father Julien Houzet who died in 1823 ].
4. Is anyone aware of any published literary work on any genealogical research, whatsoever, and in any past age, upon the names HOUZET [and HOUZE]
5. I see that so many people spell the name as HOUZE [without a “T”] and not as HOUZET [with a "T"] What is the reason for this difference?
6. Does anyone perhaps know whether there is a genetic relationship between the HOUZET and the HOUZE families?
7. What is the ethnic origin of the name HOUZET [and HOUZE] whether from the ancient Celts, ancient Gauls, ancient Romans, ancient Franks, ancient Normans or otherwise?
8. Is there perhaps an ancient occupational or geographical origin of the name HOUZET [and HOUZE]?
9. Is there perhaps a linguistic origin of the name HOUZET [and HOUZE], and is this Celtic, Gallic, Latin, Frankish, Norman or Langue d'oil?
10. How old is the name HOUZET [and HOUZE], whether pre-900, pre-1200, pre-1500 or otherwise?
Thanking you in anticipation of your patience and esteemed answers in due course.