Subate is a town near border of Lithuania located on the shores of Lake of Subate (66km south from Jekabpils). Subate is located on one of the oldest Selonian trading/merchant roads. First time in historical documents "Subete" is mentioned in 1570 when duke of Courland and Semigallia Gotthard Kettler(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotthard_Kettler) sold land on west shore of Lake Subate to count G. Plater-Ziberg. Around there the town started to settle.
During the reign of King of Poland Stephen Báthory(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_B%C3%A1thory) Subate continued to grow on lands of Plater-Ziberg and Osten-Zaken lands. After approximately 100 years Plater-Zibergs took Chatolic faith and with decision of King of Poland also church of Subate was given away to Chatolic church. Lutheranic part of Subates population protested against establishing of Chatolic faith and that Pleter-Zibergs had moved to Chatolic faith resttled on the other shore of Lake Subate which belonged to H.F. Osten-Zaken. Later in 1685 he built a new church for Lutherans and so there established a town Jaunsubate(Newsubate). Oldsubate already in 1680 had gained rights of town Magdeburg. In 1894 Jaunsubate and Vecsubate were merged. Second time in 1917 Subate was given rights of a town.
A green fir-tree is depicted in Subate`s coat of arms. Surroundings of Subate are rich with beautiful fir woods. Fir for ancient latvians was a symbol of Mother Earth.