Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 96 posts
7/6/2011 at 3:24 PM

It is in the "revisions" tab

7/6/2011 at 3:29 PM

Could it be there is a delay there?
I just resolved a conflict to test this, but it did not appear on the revisions tab.

7/6/2011 at 3:31 PM

The profile in question is: Nicolaas Hendriksz van der Drift
(there was a conflict for the firstname/middle name)

7/6/2011 at 3:45 PM

It's been merged already

7/6/2011 at 4:44 PM

Sorry I'm not explaining this very well.
There was a merge that left a conflict between first/middle name.
I resolved that today, but i do not see that on the revisions tab.
I just looked again and it is there but with a date of 30 June.
So may be I made a mistake somewhere.
I will try it for another profile and see what happens.

Private User
7/6/2011 at 4:56 PM

Job, if your resolution was to accept what was originally on the primary profile, then there was no revision. You just rejected some alternatives that were proposed but not used. No revision and no log.

If instead you accepted one of the alternatives, then you changed the primary profile data, and so then there is an entry in the revisions tab.

Furthermore, one of the features (or bugs?) of Geni is that when two profiles are merged, only one set of revisions is retained. The other set is apparently "lost". Though "About Me" sections of merged profiles are concatenated, so both are retained, revision logs are not amalgamated and only one set is retained.

7/7/2011 at 12:32 AM

David,

Yes that is probably what happened.
I just did some work on Thomas Janse Zoutenbier
one profile had Thomas Janse in first name and nothing in the middle name and the other had Thomas in first and Janse in middle name
(I think the first one was the primary).
When I look at the revision tab I see the revision for middle name, but
nothing about the fact that one profile had only Thomas in the first name.

Private User
7/7/2011 at 2:38 AM

Yes Job that is exactly consistent with what I would expect

7/7/2011 at 3:30 AM

David,

Thanks for the explanation..

Private User
7/7/2011 at 7:00 AM

Private User
Fred - curator Martin Eriksen beat you to it by a FEW minutes! Thank you Martin!
I'm really outraged that two Curators David Prinz help.
Do not read the public discussions?
Job Waterreus
7/6/2011 at 8:44 PM
Sorry I'm not Explaining This Very well.
There Was a merge conflict entre That left a first / middle name.
That I resolved today, but i do not See That on the revisions tab.
I Just Look again and it is There But With A date of 30 June.
So I May Be Made a mistake somewhere.
I will try it and see for Another profile what happens.

David Prins
7/6/2011 at 8:56 PM
Job, if your resolution to accept what WAS WAS originally on the primary profile, Then There Was no revision. You just That Were Rejected Proposed alternatives Some but not used. No review and no log.

If you accepted INSTEAD one of the alternatives, Then you changed the primary profile data, and so Then There is an entry in the revisions tab.

Furthermore, one of the features (or bugs?) Of Geni Is That When two profiles are merged, only one set of revisions is retain. Apparently the other in September is "lost." Though "About Me" sections of merged profiles are concatenated, so Both are Retained, revision logs and are not only one September Amalgamated is retain.

Job Waterreus
Today at 4:32 a.m.
David,

Yes That Is What Happened Probably.
I just did some work on Thomas Janse Zoutenbier
Thomas Janse HAD one profile in first name and nothing in the middle name and the other in first and HAD Thomas Janse in middle name
(I think the first one WAS the primary).
When I look at the review tab I see the review for middle name, But
About the Fact That nothing one profile in the Thomas HAD only first name.

David Prins
Today at 6:38 a.m.
Yes Exactly Job That Is Consistent with what I Would expect

Job Waterreus
Today at 7:30 a.m.
David,

Thanks for the explanation ..

Private User
7/7/2011 at 7:03 AM

Private User

Jason Wills
6/27/2011 at 8:37 PM
hi. david prins will soon be removed as manager of the profiles of your family, they will be owned by everyone and you will have access to them

7/8/2011 at 5:04 PM

I like to hear some opinions on this:
http://help.geni.com/entries/20258563-alternative-profiles:

7/10/2011 at 1:34 AM

Very bad idea, the start of the end of the site........

7/10/2011 at 2:00 PM

Fred,

I read your comment and have to agree to synchronising profiles in different languages would be a major problem. I have to think about it.

The Geni way also makes it difficult, and there are still many profiles in English that should be in other languages according the way Geni wants profiles registered.

Do you have an idea how to do this better?

Job,
Geni is currently working on a major improvement on the whole naming issue, so the multiple languages will also see some improvement.

7/11/2011 at 12:15 PM

Shmuel-Aharon,

That would be nice.
Anything known about when these changes will occur?
Will they mean profiles have to be adjusted manually?

No idea as to exact time-schedule, but definitely "soon". I'm sure Geni will do whatever possible to minimize the need for manual changes.

8/9/2011 at 1:46 PM

Hi,

Just found this topic.
I made a feature request a little while ago:
http://help.geni.com/entries/20350256-make-data-and-tree-conficts-m...
May be you could add some comments and vote for it (if you like it)

8/9/2011 at 2:07 PM

This information is availible in the merge center. I beleive you have to be Pro to see it.

If you colaboate with a Pro , that person can also see it.

8/9/2011 at 2:07 PM

Job Waterreus
sorry forgot to tag

8/9/2011 at 2:48 PM

Marvin,

The problem with the merge centre is that you do not always see it there (you will have to select managed by my collaborators to see most issues).
Most (new) users will not have that selection.

When you request a merge from a curator, you will get a mail saying it is done. If you do not know you should check the action tab, you probably will never know there was an issue.

New users will probably not check the check the merge centre with this option and for others who have many collaborators it is difficult because there are too many data conflicts. Yesterday for me it showed almost 300 data conflicts and now it shows 1488 data conflicts. It is just not practical.

I learned to check the action tab only when a curator explained to me that I should look there because I new there should be conflicts and could not find them.

8/9/2011 at 2:57 PM

Marvin Caulk, (C)
Sorry, I should tag you as well.

8/9/2011 at 3:10 PM

Job Waterreus

You have 47 collaborators. When you change to "managed by my collaborators" it shows all thier conflicts. Staying with your tree and those managed by you is may be more doable for you.

By keeping your own tree and those you manage clean you will not loose so much hair. You asked to colaborate with people, but you are not requied to keep ther tree clean also, If there are one or two that seem to have a lot, maybe they aren't as good at Geni as you are and need you to tell them how to do it themselves (in a nice way of course.)

Your first goal should be to keep your tree and managed profiles correct. Then if you have the time, then help out your colaborators.

8/9/2011 at 11:35 PM

Marvin Caulk, (C)

I have so many collaborators because I request so many merges (almost every day). I have data on some 40.000 persons, but many are already on Geni (managed by others). If do not clean up after merges I create a lot of work for my collaborators and it makes it difficult for myself as well (the search will not function as expected then)
So its easier for me if I clean up the mess myself.

But I think more people will clean up after a merge, when data conflicts are more visible. That is why I made this feature request.
May be the same symbol as for parent conflicts could be used?

8/10/2011 at 12:38 AM

If I don't know anything about these profiles, I will not resolve any data conficts! I usually check for tree conflicts, but that's all.

8/10/2011 at 6:12 AM

Me too, Krisper. IF I work on merges for others, I have a personal guide that x amount of critical data has to match or I don't do the merge. And unless I have data in my PERSONAL records to confirm something, I don't resolve conflicts that pertain to anything critical. I might resolve MI and Battle Creek, Calhoun, MI, USA, or Abt 1865 and 1/8/1865, but not if they differ by very much.

8/10/2011 at 9:47 AM

I think that is generally the case when a curator performs a merge. The problem as I see it, is that the requester of the merge is not always aware there is a data conflict and the managers of the profile do not know about the conflict because a curator did the merge.

That is the reason that I think it would be useful to show in tree view which profiles have a data conflict. And I think it would be useful as well to tell the requester of the merge that the merge is completed, but that there is a data conflict because of it., When the requester is aware of it, he or she might be able and willing to fix it.

8/10/2011 at 10:03 AM

Job, I have suggested that conflicting data messages show up on profiles just like tree matches do. The reason is that when I get an email that a merge has been completed I always click the link and go to the profile and then check for conflicting data. If there was a conflicting data indication on the profile, maybe people would know to resolve it.

I believe that all conflicting data should be resolved. If you are not sure, use the MP if there is one, otherwise use the main profile. After the data is resolved, there is only one profile to change if newer data is found.

8/10/2011 at 2:21 PM

Eldon,

I agree with you,
It would be good to show conflicts on the profile as well as in tree view.

8/10/2011 at 4:45 PM

@David Prins: That link you provided on 7/5/2011for merge issues ( http://www.geni.com/list/merge_issues?issue_type=completed&merg... ) ought to be under one of the pop-down menu on my 'home' page ... I couldn't find it before reading this discussion.

Thanks!

Showing 61-90 of 96 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion