Conflicting Data - Comment from a Curator

Started by Private User on Sunday, March 27, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-96 of 96 posts
8/10/2011 at 6:43 PM

I guess they could put a red "D" or something in the tree to indicate a data confict.

I have to take it up in a curator discusion tho.

8/10/2011 at 9:02 PM

It's not so much noting it on a tree (although that would be helpful, too), but ... a Ha! ... the "problem" is that the drop-down menu (for me, anyway) under the "Matches" lists zero for all the items -- when in fact there ARE conflicts in data or trees (and they do show up when I list them).

Is that a known bug I've just missed (being a relative newbie)?

8/10/2011 at 9:23 PM

That lists for your tree, not for your colaborators

8/10/2011 at 9:31 PM

also it tkaes time for the system to update it after a merge

8/11/2011 at 8:03 AM

Since it was mentioned a couple of times here and in other threads
For your consideration
The better practice should / would be to avoid working on merge issues of your collaborators and not to mentioned data conflicts
Speaking of data conflicts if you only have the option to send and not save the data conflicts of profiles pleas leave it to the managers and not "bombarded" them with requests to complete it
We should also try and avoid working on our tree matches since this is a huge part of bad merges on the site
If you do decide to work on merge issues of your collaborators please try and contact them first and also try and focus on specific area

Thanks for listening

:-)

8/11/2011 at 2:29 PM

Ofir Friedman

Most people I collaborate with outside of the collaboration pool have may profiles common with me.
If I do not merge, I cannot add new data without creating duplicate profiles, so I perform merges or I request curators to do them for me. A curator mostly will not resolve data conflicts.
In many cases I do have information enough to solve the data conflicts, so why should I (and others like me) not solve those data conflicts we are aware of and have information about?
If I do not fix most of the data conflicts others will have to fix them and that would mean I keep a lot of people very busy or the conflicts will not be solved (not soon anyway). I tend to only leave those data conflicts resulting for merges I performed (or requested a curator to perform for me) that I have insufficient data on.

Showing 91-96 of 96 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion