J. F. HOWALD, the owner of an excellent farm of 103 acres in Marlborough Township, Delaware County, Ohio, where he has been prominently identified with public matters, was born November 10, 1849, m Licking County, Ohio, and is a son of Andrew and Fannie (Lantz) Howald.
The parents of Mr. Howald, who were natives of Canton Berne, Switzerland, came to America in 1848, and settled at once in Licking County, Ohio, from whence they removed in 1850 to the woods of Marlborough Township, Delaware County, and here the remainder of their lives was spent, the father dying in 1868 and the mother some time later. J. F. Howald secured his education in the district schools of Marlborough Township, whence he had been brought as an infant, and here he has engaged in agricultural pursuits all of his life, being now the owner of 103 acres of fine property, in a good state of cultivation. Mr. Howald is one of Delaware County's progressive citizens, and is a leader in any movement calculated to be of benefit to his community. For nine years he served as trustee of Marlborough Township, which he also represented at county conventions held at Delaware, and he has been much interested in educational matters in his section of the county. He is a consistent member of the Reformed Church at Prospect, Ohio.
Mr. Howald was married to Hattie Weiser, who is a daughter of the late Solomon B. Weiser, of Delaware. Ohio, and to this union there were horn three children, namely: William A., who is the popular proprietor of the well known "Candy Kitchen" restaurant at Delaware; Nettie Irene, who is the wife of Frank Detwiler of Marion, Ohio; and Maud E., wife of J. O. Wilcox, who is a partner of his father in the implement business at Ashley, Ohio.