I had reported this over in Help, under Bug Reports, but that listing has disappeared. The problem has not. It used to be that all the PDF's were broken. However, since sending links to Help with examples, the ones I first sent links to have been fixed and others of mine partially fixed. But it is still definitely a bug.
>>Moreover - despite my having set all my Documents to Private, when I went to check them now, all my PDF Documents were Public (not any of the several others I checked) - I have gone thru all and corrected that - not sure if due to fixing the 'outage' problem or trying to fix my Broken PDF's in response to my earlier report.
If anyone else has PDF files they chose to upload as Private Documents, suggest you check them!
On IE7, when looking at these "broken" Documents, they appear as little red "x" in small box at top of space where you should see the document - on your Documents page, in the pop-up, and when you click on it. Scrolling does not work at all correctly on the PDF's in IE7.
In Firefox, on your Documents Page, the titles for the document are over-written with other text. On the pop-up, you just see the 'other text'.
I think this is one they supposedly worked on/fixed - but as an example of what happens in one of mine now, in Firefox - When I click on the Document, on one of my multi-page PDF's, for example, I now see (on right side, side where it scrolls): "Page 1" in orange box, followed by picture of what I assume is page 2, followed by "Page 3" in gray box; scrolling works in Firefox, and for this Document I am looking at, shows pages 4, 5 apparently okay, then 6 again as "Page 6" in box (etc.).
I also added comments in "Help" about this problem. Geni reported the fix was "done," and in spite of comments from several people that there was still a problem, Geni seems to have removed all the comments related to this issue. Like you, I still have a problem with PDF documents. On Safari, I get the little red "x" you describe, and in Firefox I get the same over-written titles you describe.
Mike, I don't seem to be able to send you an inbox message, so here's the URL for just one of the documents.
I have a couple dozen documents that have a similar problem.
Thanks for your help!
Mike Stangel - I sent a link to some of the Documents on Aug. 14th.
Now it seems it is no longer possible to upload PDF Documents. Aargh.
This is another report of PDF's not displaying correctly - dated Aug. 19, 2011. http://help.geni.com/entries/20380061-missing-documents
I have attempted repeatedly to upload a pdf (2 pages) from different computers and different "add" locations within the same profile. The inability of GENI to maintain its own website speaks volumes and I am being quite put off with this fact and the ability of strangers to arbitrarily make changes. Profile in question is <private> Rubin.
Mike, http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/pdf_reference.html did not help?
Me, I have rarely encountered a PDF that open-source software (evince, xpdf) could not show.
In "Missing Documents" - http://www.geni.com/discussions/100973 - Mike says they are currently/this weekend running a script to fix PDF's. Don't know if it just fixes/returns the ones that went missing or the types of issues mentioned above as well.
Also - if you put "PDF" in Search Box at top of Help - you currently get the original Bug Report I mention in my first message - but not if you just go to Bug Reports and look and/or search there. Using cut-and-paste, I get:
Ah - I see now "Bug Reports" currently exists in two places, one of them in the "Getting Help" section and one of them in the "Translators" section.
The original Bug Report currently appears in "Getting Help", is still marked "Done", and has a new comment entered today about problems still currently existing.
Lois - previously (up to about two weeks ago) it was easier to find the Bug Reports in the Translators section than in the Getting Help section. There was also a bug (since fixed) in the Bug Report functionality under Getting Help such that bugs could not be reported there, and could only be reported in the Translators section.
As a result, several bug reports were placed in the Translators section that had nothing to do with Translators. At my instigation, these were moved by CS from the Translators section to the Getting Help section.
Here's one. I've uploaded this document twice now, and each time the pages show on Geni as being in the wrong order. However, they are in a *different* order each time I uploaded it! It shows perfectly on my computer, with the pages in the expected order.
Mike Stangel I like pdftk for pdf manipuation. I have found it to produce more consistent files than ImageMagick. :-)
Here's another with the pages out of order.
I just did a spot check of my PDF documents and it looks like the little red "X" is gone in Safari and the over-written titles in Firefox are also gone. YAY! Thank you!
I don't have many PDFs with multiple pages, but it looks like the pages do appear in the wrong order (as mentioned by Catherine). Not a big problem for me since I have so few, but thought I'd mention it since other people seem to be having that problem also.