Szent Kinga - St. Kunigunda of Poland ÁRPÁD(házi), Princess
Lithuanian: Kunigunda Iš Vengrijos, Šventoji
|Also Known As:||"Cunegunda", "Kunigunda", "Kunegunda", "Cunegundes", "Kioga", "Zinga"|
|Birthplace:||Esztergom, Komárom-Esztergom, Hungary|
|Death:||Died in Cracow, Poland|
Daughter of Bela IV ÁRPÁD(házi), King of Hungary; Bela IV; Maria Lascarina, Queen Consort of Hungary and Marija Laskaris
|Managed by:||FARKAS Mihály László|
About ÁRPÁD(házi) Szent Kinga - St. Kunigunda of Poland
3. KINGA [Kunigunde] (1224-24 Jul 1292). The Annales Cracovienses Compilati records the birth in 1234 of "Kinga filia Bolezlay", the Annales Polonorum clarifying that she was "Kinga fila regis Ungarie Bele et de matre Maria" born "in dominica quinquagesima". The Annales Capituli Cracoviensis record the marriage in 1239 of "Blezlaus filius Lezstkonis" and "filiam regis Hungarie". Her name is confirmed by the Annales Cracovienses Compilati which record that "dux Boleslaus accepit Kingam" in 1238. "Bolezlaus filius Lesconis…Dux Cracoviæ et Sandomiriæ" founded the monastery of Krzyzanowice, at the request of "matris nostræ Grzymislavæ", for the souls of "patris nostri Lesconis et uxoris nostræ Gunebundis", by charter dated 28 Jun 1254. "Bolezlaus…Cracouie et Sandomirie dux" conferred privileges on the church of Krakow, for the soul of "patris nostri clare memorie Cracouie et Sandomirie ducis Leztconis" and for "nostre genitricis ducisse Grimizlaue et…consortis nostre Cungundis", by charter dated 18 May 1255. The Annales Cracovienses Compilati record the deaths in 1279 of "Boleslaus dux maioris Polonie, Boleslaus dux Cracowie". She became a nun in 1270. The Annales Polonorum record the death in 1292 of "domina Kinga ducissa" at Krakow. She was beatified 10 Jun 1690. m (1239) BOLESŁAV of Poland, son of LESZKO I "Bialy/the White" Prince of Sandomir and Krakow & his wife Gremislava Ingvarevna of Luck and Dorogobuz [Rurikid] (21 Jun 1226-7 Dec 1279). He succeeded in 1243 as BOLESŁAW V "Wstydliwy/the Modest" Prince of Krakow and Sandomir.
- Her parents: BÉLA, son of ANDRÁS II King of Hungary & his first wife Gertrud von Andechs-Merano (Nov 1206-Margaret Island, near Buda 2/3 May 1270, bur Esztergom). BÉLA IV King of Hungary and ...m (1218) MARIA Laskarina, daughter of THEODOROS Laskaris Emperor in Nikaia & his first wife Anna Angelina (-16 or 24 Jul 1270, bur Esztergom).
- Her siblings:
- 1. KATHARINA (-Klis Castle 1242, bur Split St Domnius).
- 2. MARGIT "the Elder" (-Klis Castle 20 Apr 1242, bur Split St Dominius).
- 3. KINGA [Kunigunde] (1224-24 Jul 1292). Herself
- 4. ANNA [Agnes] ([1226/27]-). ... m (1243) ROSTISLAV Mikhailovich ex-Prince of Galich, son of MIKHAIL Vsevolodich Grand Prince of Kiev & his wife Maria Romanovna of Galich (-1263).
- 5. ELISABETH (1236-24 Oct 1271, bur Kloster Seligenthal). ... m (1250) HEINRICH von Bayern, son of OTTO II "der Erlauchte" Duke of Bavaria & his wife Agnes von Sachsen [Este] (Landshut 19 Nov 1235-Burghausen 3 Feb 1290, bur Kloster Seligenthal).
- 6. KONSTANZA. Baumgarten names the wife of Prince Lev and gives her origin citing sources in support. m ([1251/52]) LEV Daniilovich of Galich, son of DANIIL Romanovich Grand Prince of Kiev, King of Galich & his first wife Anna Mstislavna of Novgorod (-1301).
- 7. ISTVÁN (Dec 1239-1 Aug 1272). ... He succeeded his father in 1270 as ISTVÁN V King of Hungary.
- 8. MARGIT "the Younger" (1242-18 Jan 1271). ... m (1250) BOLESŁAW of Poland, son of WŁADYSŁAW Prince of Greater Poland & his wife Hedwig [von Pommerellen] (after 1221-13 Apr 1279).
- 9. IOLANDA [Helena] ([1238/44]-16/17 Jun after 1303). ... m (1250) BOLESŁAW of Poland, son of WŁADYSŁAW Prince of Greater Poland & his wife Hedwig [von Pommerellen] (after 1221-13 Apr 1279).
- 10. BÉLA (-1269, bur Gran [Esztergom]). ... m (24/25 Oct 1264) as her first husband, KUNIGUNDE von Brandenburg, daughter of OTTO III Markgraf von Brandenburg [Askanier] & his wife Beatrix [Božena] of Bohemia ([1247/52]-after 8 Jun 1292).
Saint Kinga of Poland (also known as Cunegunda, Kunigunda, Kunegunda, Cunegundes, Kioga, Zinga; Polish: Święta Kinga, Hungarian: Szent Kinga) (Esztergom, Kingdom of Hungary, March 5, 1224 – July 24, 1292) is a saint in the Roman Catholic Church and patroness of Poland and Lithuania.
She was the daughter of King Béla IV of Hungary and Maria Laskarina. She was a niece of St. Elizabeth of Hungary and great-niece of Saint Hedwig. Kinga's sisters were Saint Margaret of Hungary and Jolenta of Poland (Yolanda, Helen).
She reluctantly married Bolesław V the Chaste. Kinga later became princess when her husband ascended the throne as Prince of Cracov. Despite the marriage, the devout couple took up a vow of chastity. The marriage was largely arranged by and the vow of chastity pattered after that of Boleslaw's sister Salome of Cracow.
During her reign Kinga got involved in charitable works such as visiting the poor and helping the lepers. When her husband died in 1279, she sold all her material possessions and gave the money to the poor. She soon did not want any part in governing the kingdom which was left to her and decided to join the Poor Clares monastery at Sandeck. She would spend the rest of her life in contemplative prayer and did not allow anyone to refer to her past role as Grand Duchess of Poland. She died on July 24, 1292.
Pope Alexander VIII beatified Kinga in 1690. In 1695 she was made chief patroness of Poland and Lithuania. On June 16, 1999 she was canonized by Pope John Paul II.
- Magyar / Hungarian
Kunigunda (1224 – 1292) V. Boleszláv lengyel fejedelem felesége
Árpád-házi Szent Kinga (vagy Kunigunda; Esztergom, 1224. március 5. – 1292. július 24.) magyar szent, IV. Béla király lánya, Szent Margit és Boldog Jolán nővére, Lengyelország és Litvánia védőszentje.
IV. Béla és Laszkarisz Mária legidősebb gyermekeként született. Tizenöt évesen feleségül ment a Piast házbeli V. Boleszláv lengyel fejedelemhez, akivel szüzességi fogadalmat tettek.
- Polski / Polish
Kunigunda of Hungary (1224-1292)
Kunigunda Árpád of Hungary was born 5 March 1224 in Esztergom, Hungary to Béla IV of Hungary (1206-1270) and Maria Laskarina (c1206-1270) and died 24 July 1292 of unspecified causes. She married Bolesław V the Chaste of Poland (1226-1279) . Byzantium,Russia,France,Belarus,Germany Ancestors are from Byzantium, Russia, France, Belarus, Germany.
Kunigarde Arpád1 F, #114153, b. 1234, d. 1292 Last Edited=10 May 2003
Kunigarde Arpád was born in 1234.1 She was the daughter of Béla IV Arpád, King of Hungary and Maria Laskaris.1 She married Boleslaw V, Duke of Cracow, son of Leszek I, Duke of Cracow and Grzymislawa of Luck, in 1239.1 She died in 1292.1
ÁRPÁD(házi) Szent Kinga - St. Kunigunda of Poland's Timeline
March 5, 1224
Esztergom, Komárom-Esztergom, Hungary
July 24, 1292