|Birthplace:||Kaunas, Kaunas, Kaunas, Lithuania|
|Death:||Died in Göttingen, Göttingen, Lower Saxony, Germany|
|Cause of death:||appendicitis|
|Place of Burial:||Berlin, Germany|
|Managed by:||Martin Severin Eriksen|
Historical records matching Hermann Minkowski
About Hermann Minkowski
Wikipedia Biographical Summary:
"...Hermann Minkowski (22 June 1864 – 12 January 1909) was a German mathematician, professor at Königsberg, Zürich and Göttingen. He created and developed the geometry of numbers and used geometrical methods to solve problems in number theory, mathematical physics, and the theory of relativity.
Minkowski is perhaps best known for his work in relativity, in which he showed in 1907 that his former student Albert Einstein's special theory of relativity (1905), could be understood geometrically as a theory of four-dimensional space-time, since known as the "Minkowski spacetime"..."
"...Hermann Minkowski was born in Aleksotas, a village in Kaunas Governorate, part of Congress Poland within the Russian Empire (now incorporated into the city of Kaunas, Lithuania) to Lewin Boruch Minkowski, a merchant who subsidized the building of The Choral synagogue in Kovno, and Rachel Taubmann, both of Jewish descent. Hermann was a younger brother of the later astrophysicist, Oskar (born 1858). In different sources Minkowski's nationality is variously given as German, Polish Lithuanian or Lithuanian-German, or Russian.
To escape persecution in Russia the family moved to Königsberg in 1872, where the father became involved in rag export and later in manufacture of mechanical clockwork tin toys (he operated his firm Lewin Minkowski & Son with his eldest son Max).
Minkowski studied in Königsberg and taught in Bonn (1887–1894), Königsberg (1894–1896) and Zürich (1896–1902), and finally in Göttingen from 1902 until his premature death in 1909. He married Auguste Adler in 1897 with whom he had two daughters; the electrical engineer and inventor Reinhold Rudenberg was his son-in-law.
Minkowski died suddenly of appendicitis in Göttingen on 12 January 1909..."