Historical records matching Andrew R. Forsyth
About Andrew R. Forsyth
Forsyth, Andrew Russell. 18/06/1858-02/06/1942. Ref: 2108. Male.
- Place of Birth: Glasgow.
- Place of Death: London.
- Place of interment: Cremated at Golders Green,London.
- Profession: Mathematician.
- Appointments Held: Sadlerian Professor 1895-1910, Pure Mathematics, Cambridge University; Professor 1913-23,
- Mathematics, Imperial College, London.
- Undergraduate Studies: Liverpool Collegiate Institution, MA (Cantab).
- Postgraduate Studies: D Sc.
- Publications: "Theory of Differential Equations" 1890-1906, "Geometry of Four Dimensions" 1930, "Intrinsic Geometry of Ideal Space" 1935, etc.
- Marital Status: Married(1910) Marion Amelia Pollock,(Formerly Lady Charles Vernon Boys).
- Mother: Christina Glen.
- Father: John Forsyth, Marine Engineer.
- References: DNB, 1941-1950, 1959, 267-8; Obituary Notices of Fellows of The Royal Society,4,209-23 signed E.T. Whittaker, 223-7 catalogue of publications; Who Was Who 4.
- Memberships: FRS 1886, The Mathematical Association(President, 1903-4, 1936), London Mathematical Society(President 1904-6).
- Date of Election: 21/05/1900.
- Proposers: Proposed by Council as Honorary British Fellow (Billet 19/3, 7/5, 21/5/1900).
- Fellow Type: HF.
SOURCE: Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002, pt. 1. A-J, page 327