Hannah Daggett

public profile

Hannah Daggett's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Hannah Daggett

Birthdate: (79)
Birthplace: West Fairlee, Orange County, Vermont, United States
Death: November 4, 1881 (79)
Hyrum, Cache County, Utah, United States
Place of Burial: Millville, Cache County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Daughter of Joseph Daggett and Mercy Colton
Wife of John Boice and Nathan Collins
Ex-wife of Joseph Moseley Buckland and Samuel Ruggles Aiken, Sr.
Mother of Samuel Brannan Collins; Alondus De Lafayette Buckland; Samantha Jane Buckland; James Daggett Buckland; Buckland and 2 others
Sister of Anna Daggett; Lydia Daggett; Nancy Daggett; Israel Daggett; Martha Daggett and 3 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Hannah Daggett


Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, Vol 1, p 23


Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol 3, pp 486, 512-513


1. [S8] Book - Our Pioneer Heritage, 20 vols., Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, (Salt Lake City: 1958-1977), , Vol 3, pp 486, 512-513


2. [S9] Book - Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, 4 vols, International Society of Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, (Salt Lake City, Utah, 1998), , Vol 1, p 23


3. [S38320] Downloaded from http://earlylds.com, version 2007-02-08, snowdr@gmail.com


Records of Ruth Balderston Donley


Millville City Cemetery, Millville, Cache County Utah, USA SOURCE: www.findagrave.com


Hannah Daggett Buckland and Joseph Buckland were the parents of Samantha Jane Buckland, wife of Charles Russell. Hannah and Joseph are grandparents to William Buckland Russell of chapter one.

Chapter 16 Hannah Daggett Buckland and Joseph Buckland 1802-1881 1794-1872 A few years before her death, Hannah Daggett Buckland penned the following lines:

'Tis though I'm now so much forgot Some will think of me again."

Over a hundred years later, she is remembered.

Hannah Daggett was born October 29, 1802. In 1802, Thomas Jefferson was president and Louisiana was not yet a part of the United States. Born in West Fairlee, Orange County, Vermont, Hannah was the tenth of eleven children of Mercy Colton and Joseph Daggett. Little is known of Hannahs early years. She refers to her family in a poem she wrote later in her life with such phrases as: tender Mothers arms . . . that faithful love which knows no guile . . . caressed by parents, blest with friends.

Hannahs father, Joseph Daggett, had been an officer in the Revolutionary War. He was also active in civic affairs: voted a Selectman in 1796 and served on various committees in the town of Fairlee, Vermont.

In 1805, Hannahs father died; Hannah was almost three and her youngest brother Joseph, was a year old. Later Hannah would write a poem about her fathers death: In form of fatal sore disease/Which baffled skill to give relief/This victim was my Father dear.... How the family survived after his death is not known. Hannahs mother was left a widow with a large family to feed and take care of. In Hannahs Notebook, she mentions an Abigail and Asa Smith who were apparently assistant guardians and protectors of her youthful days. Nothing else is known of her childhood.

Her mother later married Laban Hall.

Joseph Moseley Buckland Around 1822 or earlier, Hannah met Joseph Moseley Buckland. He was a little over eight years older than she.

Joseph was the eldest of ten children born to Ashbel Buckland and Ruth Moseley. The Moseley roots went deep into the New England soil, going back to John Alden and Priscilla Mullins and the Mayflower of 1620.

Joseph Buckland had served in the War of 1812 as a volunteer in Captain William Binghams Company, Colonel Jonathan Williams Regiment. When he was shot in the hip by a careless soldier, he was discharged early, only serving three months. This hip injury may have bothered him throughout his life as eventually he was able to get a small pension.

Hannah Daggett, 20, and Joseph Buckland, 29, were married on February 16, 1823, in Tunbridge, Vermont. Since they were married by a Justice of the Peace, her mother may not have approved of the marriage as most marriages were performed by ministers. Hannah and Joseph lived in and around Tunbridge, for several years. Tunbridge is 15 miles west of the New Hampshire border and five miles north of South Royalton. Later they would move to Royalton. Royalton and Tunbridge were very small villages located in river valleys. Both areas have rolling hills covered with trees.

Their first child, Alondus De Lafayette Buckland, was born December 11, 1823. He was followed by a sister, Samantha Jane Buckland September 12, 1825. Almost two years later, twins were born. James Daggett and an unnamed son, who died at birth, were born July 6, 1827, in Royalton, Windsor, Vermont.


There were complications and Hannah was very ill. "I experienced a severe and unusual degree of suffering and injury which caused my confinement several months. During this confinement, she wrote several poems.

Later she gives pages of detail on her condition and illness. She probably was treated with calomel a pretty standard remedy of that day for purging the system. Calomel could cause mercury poisoning and other dangerous side effects. Whatever the treatments, they seemed to hurt her far more than they helped and may have caused some permanent injuries. She relates: application of harsh and powerful purgatives... so severe were the results of the medicine when taken that I hardly recovered from its injurious effects during that length of time.

Another possible result was incurable rheumatism. The puerperal fever or child- bed fever that was common at that time often left the new mother with incurable rheumatism.

Hannah goes on to describe the many problems: her joints were weak and dislocated easily; it was hard for her to even chew; there were cold sweats and a paralytic development. Eventually, there were convulsions which seemed many times must terminate in a speedy death. She apparently wanted the various experimental treatments that were causing her so much pain to stop but to no avail. Her views and feelings were disregarded. Even worse, she was subjected to censure and blame for protesting.

Hannahs poetry shows great concern for her children during this time especially since she thought she would die.

My children dear entwine my heart/And bear upon my mind . . . /Protect them in their early years/From danger and from ills . .

Eventually, Hannah recovered, but she was never a well woman after this. She would lament her harsh treatment, hoping others would not experimentally inflict wounds that time and human skill can never heal.

Birth and Death of Mary; Birth of Azro and Marital Problems In October of 1829, a girl she named Mary was born. Mary died at the age of two years and six months, March 1832. Hannah mourned her death and wrote such lines as, "Yes, Marys gone/And dreadful was the final hour/...Twas fits painful and appalling that seized her for a prey." Heartbroken from her death and ill, Hannah gave birth to another son William A. Buckland who was born March 21, 1832, probably shortly after Marys death. A new son, the death of a daughter, ill health and apparently extreme marital problems caused a major break with her husband, Joseph Buckland.

In an age when divorces were extremely rare and women had few rights, Hannah left Joseph about a month later, on April 19, 1832. She refused to ever go back to him and Joseph charged Hannah with abandonment. Hannah may have left him because of intolerable severity, the reason given by Sally Buckland, Josephs second wife, for divorcing him several years later.

This was an age where men could discipline their wives and frequently did. Unless a wife was permanently crippled by the blows, the law considered the beating to be moderate punishment and so permissible. There were men who practiced cruelty toward their wives (and children) which clearly exceeded what was lawful and this may have been the case with Joseph Buckland.

Lines of poetry written during these married years strongly hint of this as a problem.

..If called to suffer violence/Malignant hate and scorn/Then wilt thou buoy our spirits up/Nor let us always mourn . .

Another stanza from a different poem written in 1832 reads:

. . . No ransom here can set us free/From this tyranic king Still another poem reads: . . . And must these denigrating powers/Pursue one until death/Destroy my faith, root out my love/And all my light suppress . . . And another line, To see the wanton retrograde/From rectitude and right..

Leaving her husband could not have been easy. There was the humiliation and stigma that divorce brought. Hannah would have had to depend on the town of Royalton for her support. This would have been difficult any time. Something dreadful must have driven her to it. In 1840, she indicated that she wanted to give a full account of some of the adverse and more trying incidents of my life.Other than describing her illnesses she never did. A candid treatment would probably not have been possible because of the conventions of that time. With great anguish, Hannah gave up her child William Buckland to a Mrs. Garvin who had just lost a baby. Hannahs ill health and the circumstances at that time led her to think this was the best policy.

In Hannahs late sixties, she would write to her son William trying to explain.

"I have never forgotten the calamitous and disturbing incidents that separated my dear children from each other and from me! Nor the conflicting scene that took place in your infant days. My mind often reverts to that painful event which so deeply anguished my bleeding heart. Torn and lacerated as it appeared by a cruel misfortune and compelled by a wasting malady and train of complicated grievance to part with my lovely infant boy, and at such a tender age when it seemed that my heart strings were so strongly entwined about him that a separation in this form would extinguish the last existing spark of animal life which then but faintly and dimly remained. Nor was it until after disease had so wrought upon my system as to cause the entire failure of the nutriment which had hither sustained my little one at the breast that I could any how feel to submit to their grievous expedient. And even then had not the consequences arising from their failure been of such a nature as to greatly alarm my fears, in regard to the safety and welfare of my innocent little one, I think I could scarcely have yielded even to the kind and motherly proposals of the hospitable lady Mrs. Garvin...and whom it verily appeared had been providentially sent to me for the rescue and blessing of my loved one."

Hannah gave William up, and it bothered her all her life.

Bright, sensitive and ill, Hannah would often retreat to her journal. Being able to write poetry seemed to assuage her pain, poverty and unhappiness.


Royalton like other towns in that area voted to set up the poor to the lowest bidder. This practice started in 1805. The unfortunate ones in their poverty stricken condition would wait to see where their lot would be cast for the next year. If able, the person worked for the winning bidder. It was stipulated that the poor were to be returned as well clothed as when received, and the bidder was to be entitled to their services.

Eventually the town of Royalton paid an overseer who saw to it that the poor were properly fed, clothed, and provided with fire. In other words, the overseer was to ensure that the poor were not entirely treated as slaves.

Family Frequently Separated

Apparently Hannah and her children were dependent on the support of the town of Royalton off and on for about sixteen years. It seems cruel to think of someone bidding on the members of the family each year. Then Hannah and her children would have to adjust to the idiosyncrasies of a new person to work for each year. This meant they were also often separated as they were bid individually to the lowest bidder. Sometimes one person, an overseer would be responsible for all of the poor. These next years could not have been happy ones for Hannah as she wrote, sickness and adversity have been the visitations of my common lot.

How often the other children, Alondus, Samantha, James, were with Hannah, or with other members of the community or with relatives is unclear. For example, David Bosworth was paid $21.67 in March of 1830 for the last payment for two Buckland children; Zebulan Carr was paid $6.50 for keeping a Buckland child in March of 1830; four-year-old James Buckland was bid to George Barnes for $10 in March of 1831 for one year. Peter Wheelock was paid $5.28 for keeping Hannah for 5 weeks and 20 days in 1831. Another record shows Hannah being bid to William Woodworth for $63 for one year. In 1835 she was bid to Elijah Barnes for $90. In 1836, the lowest bidder was Jared Buttan for $71. A record in March of 1841 shows that Elijah Barney bid $74 for Hannah and her fifteen-year-old daughter Samantha Buckland.

Hannah did write later, "A long distressing illness absorbed many years of my early life, a portion of which time I was dependent upon a public maintenance and subjected to the precarious goodwill and management of strangers, and which alternately composed a variety of persons and dispositions."

Hannah had a strong religious faith that seemed to sustain her through her many illnesses and her poverty. Her various illnesses and occasional healings seemed to make impressions on her deeply religious nature. She was always seeking for information and for some congenial spirit who would understand her feelings. She stated her motto as faith, hope, and perseverance.

Hannah apparently tried to instill this faith in her children too when she would be with them. Among her many poems is one she wrote when she gave a Bible to her oldest son Alondus when he was ten or twelve. Her notebook is filled with poetry regarding faith in God and her strong religious convictions.

Religious Fires of the 1840s

In the 1840s, the area between Lake Erie and Vermont was the seeding grounds for a number of religious and social enterprises. This area that included Vermont was swept by so many religious fires that it was called the Burnt Over District. One of the most successful of the American movements was the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The leader Joseph Smith was a magnetic leader and missionaries traveled in all directions and made thousands of converts to Mormonism.

Among these converts was Hannah Daggett Buckland. The date of her conversion is not known but her daughter Samantha joined in September of 1844, her sons Alondus and James in December of 1845. So Hannah probably joined in 1844 or 1845. Samanthas husband, Charles Lyman Russell had joined in 1842, and he may have converted his mother-in-law and brothers-in law.

By this time, Nauvoo, Illinois, had become the Mormon center. The Mormons there had become so politically potent that they actually held the balance of power in the state. This and their opinion that they were a people chosen by God did not make them popular with their neighbors. There was also jealousy of their prosperity. Persistent rumors of the practice of polygamy among Mormon church leaders increased their neighbors suspicions that polygamy would be added to Mormon practices. The persecution increased and in 1844 Nauvoo was mobbed by the uncontrollable militia and Joseph Smith was murdered in Carthage, Illinois.

Mob pressure continued to mount in Illinois with the intention of driving the 15,000 Mormons from Nauvoo, Illinois. Mormons in that area began preparing for a massive overland trip to the West. Those on the East coast who wished to join the larger group were advised not to but to go by sea to a new gathering place. Going by sea would be less expensive than going overland by wagon train and would not add to the problems in Nauvoo.

Hannah desperately wanted to leave Vermont with this group but did not have the 75 dollars necessary for the trip. The town of Royalton sensed an opportunity to get rid of the responsibility of her. In a meeting on December 16, 1845, one article was to see if the town will vote a sum of money to enable Mrs. Buckland to go West with her son or any other of the paupers to go to their friends, or otherwise provide for themselves provided a sufficient indemnity be given for their support.

There were a number of people that requested the town to assist them by giving them a small sum of money so they could go to Oregon, etc. Sixty dollars was voted for Hannah Buckland. The rest of the money probably came from her son Alondus or her son-in-law Charles Russell.

Leaves Vermont

Persecution, poverty, and religious zeal apparently led Hannah to leave Vermont in 1846 with the Mormon group going by sea. Hannah, her son Alondus Buckland, and possibly her son, James Daggett Buckland left Vermont for New York City. There they loaded their luggage on the Brooklyn and took up lodging with bare essentials at a boarding house reserved by Sam Brannan. They had already prepaid their fare of 75 dollars per adult (half that for children) Twenty-five dollars of the seventy-five was for food for the six or seven month trip. There had been over 300 applicants for passage on the Brooklyn, but most of them were too poor to pay the sum required, and had to remain behind, though some were aided by contributions from richer brethren.

The Brooklyn Trip

The group that was to go by sea was led by Sam Brannan. It seems as if Brigham Young and Sam Brannan had different ideas of where in the West this new permanent settlement would take place.

Brannan favored California; Brigham Young favored the Rocky Mountain area, besides California was still part of Mexico. Brannan would take them to California and then they would meet.

Bold, adventurous, dynamic, and adventurous, Brannan was an erratic genius, an excellent organizer and a good community leader. Unfortunately, he was also an opportunist that lacked high principles.

The ship the Brooklyn was old and almost worn out. Although still seaworthy, the boat was well patched, in declining years, and leased because she would be had cheap.

The Brooklyn was a 445 ton vessel and cost Brannan $1,200 a month to charter. The boat had to be remodeled to take care of so many passengers on one of the longest voyages in the world. The $16,000 spent for remodeling resulted in 32 staterooms with bunks in two rows. Between the staterooms long tables with benches were made. These were for their meals, and various activities. Space was tight and very limited. Taller passengers always had to stoop when walking between decks.

Included in the many provisions for this six to seven month voyage were crates of chickens and forty to fifty pigs. Two milch cows were also brought on board.

After the passing of a snowstorm, the emigrating passengers, all but about a dozen were Mormon, boarded the ship. Hannah, and Alondus along with about 70 men and 60 women and 100 children came on board.

Friends, relatives and other Mormons on the pier joined in singing hymns. The steamboat Samson pulled the Brooklyn out to sea. Soon the topsails and jib caught in the breeze. The Brooklyn steadily moved out into a frigid, choppy Atlantic on February 4, 1846. Hannah had started on a journey that would be five times the length of the Mayflower voyage and take almost six months. The passengers were only four days out into the Gulf Stream when the Brooklyn encountered a frightening gale.

Gale at Sea

The crew quickly prepared the ship for the worst, lashing the helm and furling all sails except a storm jib connected to the main mast. The gale howled through the spars and rigging. Soon mountain high waves were breaking over the deck and pounding like thunder against the creaky hull. The ship pitched to the billows and plunged into cavernous troughs.

Passengers were shut in the hold, tossed about like feathers in a sack. At one point the situation grew so precarious that Captain Richardson feared his very cabin would be smashed and swept from the deck. He came down to the passengers with a fearful expression, only to find the voyagers in their dim lit chamber loudly singing hymns to drown out the storm and bolster their own courage.

The ship tossed and rolled. Without upper canvas, there was little to steady the ship against the rolling waves. All the passengers were seasick and many were vomiting. No fires were allowed, and those few who could eat had to subsist on hard tack (sea biscuits) and water. One passenger on board the boat said: Women and children were at night lashed to their berths, for in no other way could they keep in. Furniture rolled back and forth endangering limb and life . . . the one light was from two whale oil lamps hung outside the hall and these were dim and wavering from the movements of the vessel. Childrens voices crying in the darkness, mothers voices soothing or scolding, men's voices rising above the others, all mingled with the distressing groans of the sick for help. . . . And yet even there amid such scenes a few were cheerful and sought to comfort others. Several children died of sickness.

After over four days, the gale passed. It was wonderful especially for the children to come topside and breathe the fresh air. There was much to clean up after the storm. Many were still sea sick. The two milch cows had been killed by the pitching and rolling ship so there was no fresh milk for babies or children. A few days later another child was born, John Atlantic Burr.

After the storm, in April of 1846, Hannah would write a poem showing her gratitude to God for their safe deliverance from what she described as a severe and tempestuous storm at sea. One line reads, Thy mercies past were marvelous/Thy loving kindness great.

Once things were cleaned up from the storm, Sam Brannan appointed two counselors and began organizing activities and enforcing the twenty-one rules and regulations drawn up before the departure of the Brooklyn. At the beating of reveille at 6:00 a.m. all were to rise, dress, wash hands and face, and comb their heads. Each activity of the day had its appointed hour; passengers were told when to clean, when to eat, when to count the sick, when to be on deck or in the staterooms, and when to enjoy amusements. They were to retire at 9:00 p.m. One activity followed the next, each announced by the clanging double beat staccato of the ships bells. The whole company was divided into watches and took turns as officers of the day. At 11:00 a.m. each Sabbath all were to attend, shaved, and washed clean, so as to appear in a manner becoming the solemn, and holy occasion. Sam Brannan was a frequent speaker. They organized a choir and enjoyed many solos and congregational Hymns.

Sleeping quarters were poorly ventilated, cramped, badly lighted and very unsanitary. Meals were mostly hardtack and salt junk (cured meat), with a few changes now and again, such as apple duff (a doughy pudding boiled in a canvas bag) served every Thursday. The single girls served the meals on tin dishes.

Twenty-year-old Alondus was probably watching 18-year-old Nancy Laura Aldrich closely as she helped with the serving. Nancy and her parents had their living quarters close to those of the Bucklands. Later Nancy and Hannahs son, Alondus, would marry.

Sam Brannan devised a way to keep control of the Saints. It would also keep them working together when they reached California. He formed in writing an organization called Samuel Brannan and Company. This company would hold all the assets.

The First Elder was, of course, Sam Brannan. Alondus, and Hannah Daggett Buckland and the others all signed the agreement. Many resented what they considered the unfairness of the agreement as it gave absolute authority to Sam Brannan. It was the source of a growing resentment among the Mormons toward Brannan. Although it was a kind of United Order, Samuel Brannan shrewdly controlled the purse strings and for three years the money from individual labor would be going into a common fund which he, of course, controlled.

Hannah was often ill and more than once she was too feeble to assemble in the enjoyment of their pious devotion. The privations she experienced did not, "diminish or suppress my ardent love and zeal for the course of truth and righteousness. Neither was my mind the less active in religious and devotional exercise."

The Brooklyn carried machinery, tools, a printing press, paper, type, guns, a sawmill, a blacksmiths forge, pliers, candles, candle molds, cloth, books, slates, plows, harrows, and a seven month supply of food. So that wherever they landed the group could become a self supporting community.

The previous storm and the variable winds had driven the Brooklyn well along the intended route. Within three weeks the ship entered the northeast trade winds and passed near the Cape Verde Islands off the west coast of Africa. It seemed strange to go nearly to Africa on the way around the Horn, but given the winds and the currents of the Atlantic, this was the quickest route to California, a route already well used by China traders, hide and tallow merchants, and Pacific whalers. By entering the northeast trades so far to the east, they could get past Cape San Roque (the eastern extension of Brazil) without beating against the trades to keep from being driven against the northern shore of South America. This route would cause them to go an extra thousand miles but would shave a couple of weeks off their voyage. Still, this voyage from the eastern to the western shores of North America was regarded as the longest point-to-point voyage in the world, in time as well as in distance

The Route of the Brooklyn

Not too long after the Brooklyn reached the equator, it was caught in the doldrums. If sailors feared anything on the oceans like the storms, it was the doldrums. These dead calms were a particular problem near the equator as the ship needed wind for its sails. The Brooklyn sat for two to three days with limp sails in the muggy, oppressive heat, motionless on a sea ?like molten glass. An awning was built to protect the passengers from the hot sun. It was so hot that the pitch was drawn out of the ship's seams. Finally, the winds stirred into life, picked up the sails, and gently wafted the ship out to the full southeast trades. Soon those trades and the variables carried the Brooklyn swiftly down toward the Cape.

Death at Sea

Of all the hardships the travelers endured on the voyage, the most difficult to bear were the deaths among the passengers. Watching a corpse wrapped in canvas resting on a plank while services were held was difficult; the plank was raised and the corpse slide off and disappeared into the lonesome ocean. Especially sad was the death of the children. A child would be tenderly wrapped in a sheet or quilts, his weighted body then laid to rest at the bottom of the ocean.

Nancy Aldrichs father Silas died on board near Cape Horn, April 1, 1846 and was buried at sea. Hannah and her son Alondus tried to comfort Nancy and Nancys mother, Prudence.

Over ten people died while at sea. For some it was consumption or T. B. Others died of diarrhea, scarlet fever, cankered sore throat, and dropsy of the stomach.

The Brooklyn approached the Horn, considered the graveyard of the oceans, with considerable apprehension.

The supreme test of a bold seaman was going west around the Horn. Violent changeable winds blew there from every quarter, often accompanied by hail and sleet. Westerly winds outnumbered easterlies three to one. Crews could beat against these winds to exhaustion trying to gain position west. Because of the force and persistence of the westerlies, waves--sometimes in towering crests, sometimes in long, giant swell--could reach a height seldom seen in other parts of the world.

Captain Richardson did not fight the westerlies. Instead he used a tactic recognized and followed by many at that time; he stood ready to take advantage of the easterlies (when they occurred to gain position west), but mostly he bore directly south with the westerlies, where gaining longitude west would be easier. After four days, this strategy had taken them as far as 60 degrees south latitude.... Finally they encountered a south wind which carried them sufficiently west of the Cape where they then hauled to the north. It was fine weather when we doubled Cape Horn. The women were making bread, pies, cakes, frying doughnuts, etc., and the children were playing and roaming about the deck. Next the Brooklyn moved north along the coast of Chili.

After three months at sea, the food was scarce and stale. The drinking water grew thick and ropy with slime, so that it had to be strained between the teeth, and the taste was dreadful. One pint a day was the allowance to each person to carry to his stateroom....Still worse grew the condition of the ship....Rats abounded in the vessel; cockroaches and smaller vermin infested the provisions, until eternal vigilance was the price imposed upon every mouthful.

Another Gale

While trying to reach Valparaiso in order to get fresh provision, another severe gale drove the ship back against the Cape. During the storm, one sailor was barely rescued after being washed overboard. Laura Goodwin lost her footing with the pitching of the ship and fell down a companionway. Laura went into premature labor and developed complications. Before her death she pled with her husband and seven children not to bury her at sea.

Desperate for supplies, the captain set the Brooklyn to ride the wind for Juan Fernandez (or Masatierra) which is about 360 miles off the coast of Chile. On May 4 the Brooklyn anchored.

A diary recorded the scene of Laura Goodwins burial. on this island. The scene was pathetic. She left six little children, weeping for their mother, and a broken hearted husband striving to comfort his children.

Later the passengers bathed and washed their clothing in fresh water. They were able to gather fruit and potatoes and do some exploring of this small island that Defoe had made famous in Robinson Crusoe. At that time the island was a penal colony of the Chilean government. One member of the Brooklyn, Julius Austin, went to hunt goats with a convict for his guide. Since convicts could not escape, they had the liberty of the island. The convict offered to carry Austins gun as the territory was rough and brushy where the goats were. This was the last that Julius saw his gun or the convict.

About 18,000 gallons of fresh water was poured in casks and loaded. Fish were caught, put in barrels and salted. Loaded with fruit and supplies, they set sail 5 days later for the Sandwich (Hawaiian) Islands.

This part of the journey on the Pacific Ocean was pleasant: What a dreamy, delightful period of unbroken sea voyaging were those weeks that followed the short delay.

Phoebe Robbins who had buried two sons in the Atlantic gave birth to Georgiana Pacific Robbins only a week before the Brooklyn arrived at Oahu.

On June 21 Hannah and the other Mormons were welcomed warmly to Honolulu. Their stay here was very pleasant. Seven days later the Brooklyn was on its way again.

California at Last!!

Finally, the weary travelers sighted the Bay of San Francisco, arriving July 31, 1846 at Yerba Buena.

Hannah was delighted to set foot the firm ground of Yerba Buena, named for the good herbs (mint) that grew in the area. This small town of about 200 was the beginnings of San Francisco. Their group more than doubled the population. On Monday the Brooklyn was unloaded with the help of the crew and boats of the Portsmouth.

Hannah had been at sea 177 days and had sailed some 24,000 miles.

This was an epochal voyage. It became important in the history of the West as those on board the Brooklyn were the first group of immigrants to arrive in California by sea after California was claimed by the United States after the Mexican American War.

Among the first in California commerce and industry, these immigrants helped build the frontier village of Yerba Buena into a promising San Francisco. They helped discover, and for a time, develop the gold mines. But they also established homes and religious worship and pioneered California agriculture.

What happened to Hannah in the next four years, 1846 to 1850, is not entirely clear.

San Francisco in 1846

Hannah probably lived near her son Alondus part of this time period. After arriving, those from the Brooklyn camped for a time on a vacant lot and then were put in the old mission buildings. Many of the women from the Brooklyn took in laundry from sailors to make money for food and other necessities.

Food was scarce and housing was poor. The majority of those on the Brooklyn were without means as Brannan had control of all the finances. Some did odd jobs for a living. The Mexicans in the area were helpful. According to Edwin Austin, if it had not been for the soldiers and the people in the Mexican barracks his family would have gone hungry. Some caught rabbits in the hills for food and gathered wood for fuel. Many felt that Brannan had betrayed them. This leader, eventually, would be Californias first millionaire, later be excommunicated from the church and at his death, be buried in a paupers grave.

Hannahs son Alondus soon married Nancy Aldrich whom he met on board the Brooklyn. Alondus and Nancy lived in the old Mission Delores from September, 1846 until June, 1847. Hannah probably lived there also.

Then Brannan sent about twenty of the group to start a new settlement at New Hope. They were to plough and put in the wheat and other crops and then move their families up there in the spring. Alondus left his mother and wife in San Francisco and went to New Hope with a group of about twenty men in October. The men would return to San Francisco occasionally to be with their families.

Nancy Aldrich Buckland wrote to her grand daughter in 1904 explaining the circumstances: The rainy season was soon coming on. No houses in San Francisco. I was married the 10th of October in the long room divided by tents. Four families of us on the north side as we entered the door on the east or the same side as the church was on. We had a fire place cut through in our room on the wall towards the north.

Alondus, Nancy and most likely Hannah lived in the old mission for the next nine months. In July of 1847, Alondus moved his family to this new settlement in New Hope on the Stanislaus River in the San Joaquin Valley (about 80 miles east of San Francisco).

In New Hope Alondus and the other Brooklyn Saints established an agricultural settlement where they built a barn and mill and cultivated eighty acres. Whether Hannah was here too is not clear, but it seems more likely that she stayed in San Francisco where she became better acquainted with Nathan Collins, eventually marrying him.

Alondus stayed in New Hope for over a year. Nancy continues,

"Alondus started October 20 (1846). It commenced to rain when he was on the boat going up the river. It rained several days. They lay under a tarpaulin. There were so many tularies growing in the river they could not go on shore. They were going to find a place to settle. Alondus came home then went and built a house on his claim and harvested their wheat. We moved in July, about the last. Everything went along very well until August. By the first of September most of them had the fever and ague. We had quite a company. Mother and brother Jason came down with it. He died in February. They all left. One man and one family and us were left. I could not move. Your father (Lafayette) was born there the 17th about two and one half miles up the river above the old Mormon crossing where Willie was nearly drowned and there wasn't a neighbor except for the Indian tribe. They would often camp by us. They had been fighting and captured some young ones. They would howl and cry all night."

A granddaughter of Alondus said, They tried to build homes and plant grain but they constantly had to herd the bears and deer out of their fields. And the second year the Stanislaus River flooded them out. Alondus was the last to leave New Hope as he didn't want to leave until the birth of his son.

By this time those at New Hope had learned that Brigham Young was settling in Utah not in California as Brannan had indicated the Mormons would. According to history, Brannan got the land, oxen, house, tools and river launch while the men who did all the work got nothing. Dreams of a great city at New Hope were relinquished. Some started preparations for a migration to Utah; others stayed in California for a while then moved to Utah; others made permanent homes in California.

A short time after the birth of Alondus Jr., September 17, 1847, Alondus took his house down. Alondus went to Stockton in November. (Nancy says January 1848.) Since Nancy does not mention Hannah in this letter, Hannah likely stayed in San Francisco and did not go to New Hope. Later Alondus and his family returned to San Francisco as their second child, Nancy Laura, named after her mother, was born there November 19, 1848.

Probably in 1847, Hannah married a Nathan N. Collins She had a son by him, Samuel Brannan Collins, who was born in Yerba Buena February 11, 1848, a year and a half after her arrival. Hannah would have been almost 46 when Samuel was born. Collins seems to have been the cook on the Brooklyn.

Gold is Discovered in 1848 In the spring of 1848, gold was discovered. Quite a number of the Brooklyn Saints, and also some members of the Mormon Battalion, left San Francisco for the gold diggings. From 100 to 150 Mormons flocked to Mormon Island to search for gold. Alondus was likely with this group. According to Merrill Russell, a grandson of Alondus sister, Samantha, one or more of the Buckland brothers were lucky to get away with quite a bit of gold.

Alondus either found gold or benefited by others discoveries. Granddaughter Eve said, They were all there during the gold rush and grandfather made a great deal of money.

Eve said that her grandfather Buckland built a large four-story hotel. It was named the Buckland House . . and stood almost exactly where the old Palace Hotel stood before the earthquake of 1906. Our great grandmothers Buckland and Aldrich also owned lots in San Francisco as it was set out while they were living there.

Another descendant of Alondus wrote in her family history: Whether great-grandfather Alondus D. Buckland went to the mines to dig for gold, I do not know. But soon a boarding and no doubt a sleeping home was opened in San Francisco named the Buckland House where gold seekers no doubt roomed and boarded. This was the beginning of the gathering in of gold dust and gold nuggets that paid for the big wagon, oxen and one horse, furniture, and belongings that the two families had when ready for their journey to Utah.

Whether Hannah helped at the Buckland House or not is still not clear. It would seem that she stayed in California until about 1850. Hannah owned a lot in San Francisco at one time.

San Francisco in 1848

When gold fever shook the pulse of Salt Lake, it was quickly checked by Brigham Young. He knew the destructive power of quick and easy wealth. Those in Salt Lake Valley were counseled not to go to California to mine for gold and those in California were advised to quit mining for gold and come to Utah.

With the influx of population came increasing crime. Men were robbed so frequently and their bodies thrown in the river that it became a common phrase of, another man for breakfast. The gold fields were not a safe place for wives and children.

Move to Utah

In 1849, Alondus and his family left California and moved to Bountiful. When the Bucklands arrived on August 18, 1849, (or September 28, 1849) by way of the California Trail, they had lots of fine and good horses and a great deal of money. Hannah Buckland Collins and her son Samuel Collins came to Utah Territory later, most likely in June of 1850. They would have been with another group traveling through the Sierras, down the St. Marys River, now called the Humbolt, via Goose Creek and the city of rocks. From there down the Malad River and into Salt Lake. She, as many other Mormons, left California in spite of the gold fever that was prevalent at that time.

There are virtually no references to her activities in California and her notebook gives no clues either. She received a patriarchal blessing from John Smith in Salt Lake City on August 26, 1850, and there is a record of a blessing for Nathan Collins given in Salt Lake City on July 23, 1848, six months after Samuels birth.

When Hannah arrived, she may have felt like another traveler:

"The country was very forbidding in appearance, and looked as though we would not have much to live upon but religion and faith . . . . When we arrived in Great Salt Lake City, I remember thinking the name was much larger than the city, which consisted of three mud forts called the North, South and Middle Forts, enclosing ten acres in each fort. The Saints who had emigrated from the East, and a few from the West were all located inside of these forts or enclosures, probably in round numbers not exceeding fifteen hundred souls."

The 1850 census shows Hannah Collins living with her son Alondus Buckland and his family in Bountiful, Utah with her three-year-old son, Samuel Collins. Whether Hannahs husband died about this time, or she left him is unclear. It is more likely that he died going to California to get Hannah.

Marriage to Samuel Aiken (possible plural marriage) By 1851, Hannah had met another man, Samuel Ruggles Aiken, who was a school teacher from Hardwick, Massachusetts. They were married on September 13, 1851, at 8 p.m. by Brigham Young. Samuel was one year younger than Hannah. Earlier Samuel had been in Nauvoo and had seen Joseph Smith before Joseph left Carthage for the last time.

The Aikens lived in Great Salt Lake as it was called then. Samuel had another wife Nancy Mason Lazell whom he had married in 1826.

Alondus' Mission to Nova Scotia; Rebaptizes his brother James. In 1852, Hannahs son Alondus Buckland was called on a mission to Nova Scotia and the British Provinces. In 1853, he wrote his mother Hannah telling her that on his way to Nova Scotia, he had stopped and seen Hannah's youngest brother, Joseph Daggett in Troy, New York. He appeared glad to see me, and treated me kindly. Alondus also stopped in Vermont and saw his sister Samantha, her husband Charles and their children. In Vermont, Alondus rebaptised his brother James and took him with him on his mission to Nova Scotia.

In this same letter Alondus mentioned seeing his brother William and thought William might come home with him later to the Territory of Utah. So there seems to have been contact between Alondus and William as in another letter Alondus mentions having received a letter from William.

When the mission in Nova Scotia didn't work out and the way had hedged up before them, those missionaries in Yarmouth decided to go back to the states. By October of 1853, Alondus was back in St. Louis. During the last part of 1853 and part of, 1854, Alondus served his mission mainly in Missouri. Hannah's son Alondus financed the wagon trip west for his sister Samantha and brother-in-law Charles Russell and probably his brother James Buckland.

The Russells left Vermont in the spring of 1854. They met Alondus in St. Louis, Missouri, and arrived in the Fort Leavenworth area in May of 1854. Here they finished preparing for the journey to Utah.

Alondus Contracts Cholera

Either shortly after or just before leaving the Fort Leavenworth, Kansas area Alondus contracted cholera. Fifteen people in the wagon train died. Alondus, one of the unfortunate ones died on June 20, 1854 (June 22, 1854).

In September of 1854 when the wagon train arrived in Salt Lake, Hannah was told the news. She was grief stricken to hear of her sons death at the age of 30. Alondus died leaving two wives, five children, two brothers, one sister, one half-brother, and a heart-broken mother.

Note: The document reads: Alondus Buckland and Samantha Buckland Russell, son and daughter of Hannah. Perhaps this is a caption to a photograph.

Divorce of Hannah and Samuel Aiken

The year 1855-56 was particularly hard for everyone in the Salt Lake Valley. The grasshoppers wiped out most of the crops and then there was a late season drought; the winter was very severe and most of the cattle died. Food was scarce and most people were on half rations to get them through.

In 1856, Hannah Aiken, Samuel R. Aiken, and Samuel B. Collins were living in Union Fort Ward in Utah. Hannah and Samuel applied mutually for a separation and for their marriage to be dissolved. They were divorced January 24, 1857.

Hannah and Samuel remained friends. Entries in Samuels diary indicates that Hannah, Isabella and Hannahs son walked with Samuel the first five miles as he left on his mission.

Also while on his mission he continued to write to Hannah. Samuel also collected information for Hannah on her family and on her son William while on his mission in Vermont.

Hannah and her son, Samuel Collins, continued to live in Utah. She taught school to support herself. In the 1860 census, Hannah declared that her real estate was valued at $300 and personal property at $100. Her son was 12 at the time and they were living in Great Salt Lake.

Marriage to John Boice

She met another polygamist John Boice and was married to him November 15, 1862. It is not clear whether this was a sealing, and they never lived together, or a regular marriage. In all John Boice would have five wives. John married Martha Brittland and Hannah within two months of each other. These marriages were probably ones where he simply provided financial support and protection as Hannah was 12 years older than John and in very poor health. Times were hard and many single women needed and wanted to belong to a family. A small percentage of the men took more than one wife simply to help support and care for these women.

John later became a patriarch and his wife Mary Ann praised him as "a companion as I had always desired. He lead a life of prayer and honesty and never was intoxicated with liquor. He has governed his family according to the requirements of Priesthood."

Sickness and Distress

Poverty, illness, and suffering were dealt out to Hannah in heavy doses. In her notebook she states that another illness commenced in November of 1862 which brought me exceeding low insomuch that a speedy death many times seemed inevitable. And from which I have never yet but partially recovered. She also wrote a poem in 1862 or 1863 in which she states:

Behold the Sea of Death is near/I am at her waters side./And I dread the coming tide.

Exactly when Hannah moved to Smithfield, Utah, is unknown. John Boice and his family moved to Oxford, Idaho in 1865. Whatever the circumstances, Hannah stayed in Smithfield when the others moved on to Idaho.

Her poor health continued. In a poem written in Smithfield in 1865, she titles her poem "Severe affliction, sickness, and distress" In it she asks the Lord to help her be

"resigned to her fate and bow submissive to Gods will although though nature pines and spirit grieves/ With what I sorely feel."

Hannah goes on to describe her privations, the sickening faintness, her pain in walking, the paralysis:

"Tis oft I pray, sometimes I cry/But with a contrite heart/Like a sorry child that's sorely whipped/And writhes with aching smart. Hannah was rarely free from sickness and to her the chastenings seem severe."

New problems arose. There was an Indian uprising and the beginning of the Black Hawk War. There was enough concern that in July the people in that area prepared for an Indian attack and were building a fort.

Samuel Collins

Raising a teenager by herself was a problem. Samuel was running around with the wrong kind of people which really worried her. She was extra worried when he left with a one whom I considered to be wantonly reckless in regard to the principles of moral rectitude and religion and whom I believed was the instigator of a wily plan. She wrote the following lines while worrying about her young son.

In my silent meditations While pondering alone I grieve the absenting Of my child that is gone Love no one now to console me Or to make my heart glad When cares doth oppress And Im pensive and sad Behold his place here is vacant And I have no one to exchange a word And I miss the voice of music Which in song I often heard While a deep solemn silence Now seems to reign here More piercing than a funeral Knell to my ear....

In November of 1867 her son Samuel Brannan Collins was called before the Bishops Council and accused of stealing a horse. Samuel stated that he helped another man catch it. They were going to Provo. He was told by the Council that he must confess before the congregation and be rebaptized. Samuel did so. Another time he was accused of stealing apples. This was dismissed after he apologized to the owner for being on his land.

Although most of Hannahs writing is in the form of religious poetry, she does have some pages where she describes her illnesses, her thoughts on charity, her concerns on why some have so much and others so little, and political events such as the Collum Act. She also wrote a long poem commemorating the twentieth anniversary of the pioneers entry into the valley. The problem with her prose is that it is typical of the flowery verbosity of that period of time.

By 1868, her 20-year-old son Samuel was working at Rock Creek Station, about 200 miles from Cache Valley and 16 or 17 miles from Mountain Meadow in what is now Idaho. When Samuel writes to his mother, he reassures her of his welfare and that the only Indians he had seen were friendly ones. He indicated the worst danger was that the Indians might steal their horses, so they have to keep a good lookout.

In a letter written June 10, 1868, Samuel states his health is better, and he didn't tell her of a previous illness as he knew she would worry too much. He seems to be having a problem with his stomach and was taking stomach bitters. He apparently planned on continuing his schooling in the winter when he returned in October or November. He sent his mother some money and seemed genuinely concerned about her welfare.

Death of Samuel

Sadly, Samuel never returned home as he died October 14, 1868, after a severe illness which continued about seven or eight days from an inflammation of the lungs and bowels. Samuel probably died of a burst appendix. His death was a severe shock to Hannah and near to being more than my feeble nature could sustain.

Rock Creek Station in Idaho 1909 Map

Her anguish and grief over her sons death were great. Retreating to her journal, she tried to assuage the pain of her aching heart. In a later letter, Hannah would state that the station was situated so far from any settlement or inhabitants that medical aid was not obtained for him until it was too late. It bothered her that he died without skillful attendance or even a kind relative to soothe and comfort him in this most painful and trying scene!

Hannah Hears from William

In 1869, Hannah again tried to contact her son William whom she had given up for adoption. Other letters of hers never seemed to have reached him. This time she wrote to her former husband, Joseph Buckland, and appealed to him to give the letter to William which Joseph actually did.

Hannah received a letter back in 1869 with much joy and gladness of heart although the surprise at the first sight of seeing your name almost overpowered my feeble strength.

William was living in Belmont, New Hampshire. He indicated that he had not learned anything about her for ten years. William had graduated from medical college in Philadelphia, had been married for ten years and had one son, another had died at four months. In his letter he tells his mother that his father never writes although he had written to him several times and says, He never has taken much interest in me.

William also tells his mother that Mother Garvin, the lady to whom you gave the care of me in your sickness, died a year ago last March. She has been a good mother to me, and has done the best by me she could I think.

He did not know about the death of Alondus and asked how his brothers and sister were. His mother had probably indicated that she would like to see him as he writes:

"O Mother, I hope I shall be permitted to see you once more for I have always, from my earliest days of boyhood cherished a strong hope that I should someday see my own dear mother again, but it seems such an undertaking for me with my poor health to come out there."

William was fearful that he had consumption (tuberculosis). Williams wife later died of consumption at the age of 44.

In his letter, William asks his mother to send him a picture of herself. This Hannah apparently never did as she later wrote, I would have done with pleasure, had it not been for sad change that has taken place upon my visage in consequence of hard life, sickness and age, insomuch that I concluded such a faded and wasted remnant of resemblance would neither give consolation nor satisfaction to you.

Teaching School in Smithfield

The 1870 census shows Hannah teaching school at the age of 67 in Smithfield, Cache County and living by herself. I have resumed school teaching at my house although I scarcely feel myself adequate to the task. There are very many children belonging to this settlement and my patrons of the school department are loath to have my school discontinue if it can be avoided as the younger pupils do not make as much advancement in those large schools, where there are from seventy to a hundred and more scholars, as they do in smaller ones. Beside my income is small; consequently, I am necessitated to labor whenever health will contribute to make it practicable.

In another letter to her son William, she is still teaching, I am privileged with the common necessaries of life which would make me comfortable if the blessing of good health was not lacking. But in my present debilitated state, I am many times necessitated to labor harder than I find contributes to ease and bodily comfort. I am not able to stand or work but little.

Smithfield in the 1870s

Hannah relates in this same letter that fuel is very expensive, During the last twelve months the hauling and preparing my wood for the fire, cost me somewhere between eighty and ninety dollars; but I have just procured me a good stove which I think will lessen my wood expenses considerably.

William must have wondered if his mother needed money or anything as Hannah says:

"I own a house and city lot consisting of some over one acre of land, beside I have but ten acres of farming land, and about two hundred dollars cash invested in a cooperative store, the income of which although it is but little is quite a help to me, but the whole you see can produce but a small income to depend upon without labor. I have no livestock at the present time, not even a cow, as the expense of getting one taken care of (not being able to perform the labor myself) has amounted to more than the profits, therefore, I think it much better to buy the avails of a cow than to keep one as I am now situated. There was a time when dear Samuel was alive and with me that we could claim quite a little herd of cattle or stock, but through misfortune, and dealings with other people we lost them, but that time has gone by forever although the society of my dear child I still sadly miss."

Apparently her son James and daughter Samantha had not been well. Hannah told William that she had seen James about a month ago when she went to Salt Lake. Because of the distance, she lamented that she only was able to see her son James or daughter Samantha every two or three years. She indicated that she had scolded James for not writing to his brother and he looked quite sorrified.

William was a baby when Hannah gave him up; he was 14 when she set sail on the Brooklyn; she never saw him again.

Some pages of Hannahs Notebook seem to have been cut out. They may have been from William expressing disenchantment with her religion and religious ideas. William must have been hurt that his brother James didn't write to him for several years. William may have felt abandoned as a child, then not hearing from his family for over ten years; there may have been some bitterness.

Hannahs first husband, Joseph Mosely Buckland had died by this time, 3 March 1872 in Chelsea, Vermont.

When his brother, James Daggett Buckland, wrote to William Buckland on May 29, 1894, James wrote, I often think of our isolated condition as a family how we was separated from each other in early life. So it is not a great wonder to me that your feelings was wrought upon -as manifested in your letter to me.

Her daughter Samantha and her husband Charles Russell apparently wrote and continued the correspondence for many years. Samanthas last child, born in 1869, was named for her brother, William Buckland Russell. Samantha's grandson, Merrill Russell, remembered a patent medicine bottle with the Bucklin name on it that was in the home of his father, William Buckland Russell, until their family home burned.

A Smithfield Ward record shows Hannah Collins contributing $25 to a subscription for Brigham Young, possibly for the Perpetual Emigration Fund.

A letter of James written from Dry Canyon, Ophar Mining District in January of 1873 shows his concern for his mothers welfare.

"My condition of late has been such that I could not render you any assistance that would do you much good, but there seems to be a change in progress, that I hope will be a blessing to you and me. I want to see the time that I can help to make you comfortable and more happy temporally speaking, than you are at present, and where I can visit you often, and converse with you on those principles that you and I have embraced."

In September of 1873 there was a bank panic, wholesale bankruptcies followed and a general economic depression. Hannah used up her few remaining assets. Several of Hannahs poems and one entry written in 1875 show her concern about charitable deeds and acts. As her health continued to deteriorate and she was no longer able to teach school, she was probably dependent on others for basic needs. Hundreds of miles from her children and still grieving over the death of Samuel, Hannah was often lonely and her poems reflect her anguish.

A lonely stranger here As such I seem to live Love none to wipe a tear And few that know I grieve The aching void the chill of woe Has often been my lot to know.

Moves in With Granddaughter in Millville, Utah

Sometime after 1873, probably around 1879, Hannah moved in with her granddaughter, Nancy Laura Goldsberry, (daughter of Alondus Buckland) and her husband Charlton Goldsberry in Millville, Utah. Here Charlton taught school for several years.

Eventually, the Goldsberry family decided to move away from the community, and either felt they could not take Hannah with them, or Hannah did not want to move. The Goldsberrys gave her the home in which they lived. Hannah, who was in ill health, stayed in Millville.

The census for 1880 indicates that Hannah was living alone, confined to bed, and had cancer. The home that Hannah lived in was located at 45 East 100 South, Millville, Utah.

In an earlier letter to her son William, Hannah had described some of her health problems:

"I have been afflicted in a more or less degree with a dropsy of the heart and chest, also with ulcers about the chest, and which at times has been so prevalent as to prostrate my strength and render my life almost helpless as to medical help. I have a large cancerous tumor formed upon my right side, between my ribs and hip, and which has a pipe in the center of it extending inwardly; it has other roots that appear like cords or ligaments about the size of a knitting needle, and which are attached to the spine or backbone."

Millville, Utah Home

As Hannahs health continued to deteriorate, the Mormon Relief Society came to her rescue and cared for Hannah for about two years.

The Relief Society sisters made patch work quilts, which they sold and gave dances to pay a girl to take care of her and buy medicine. The young girls received 50 cents per week for caring for the invalid and the older ones 75 cents to a dollar. Oftimes members of the society had to take a turn at caring for her.

Sensitive and intelligent, Hannah suffered throughout her life from depression and illness. She left Vermont sailing from New York on the boat the Brooklyn around Cape Horn to San Francisco, part of one of the longest voyages of religious pilgrims. Later she moved to the Territory of Utah where she taught school off and on. She suffered loneliness and pain. Of Hannahs seven children, only three survived her. She ached for someone to remember her or her poetry. This yearning lament was reflected in her writing:

Tis though I'm so much forgot Some will think of me again.

Hannah Daggett Buckland Collins is remembered as one of our earliest pioneers, one of the early Saints without halos. Her hope, perseverance and faith sustained her through her life of poverty, illness, and grief.

Death of Hannah

Hannah died on November 4, 1881, and was buried in an unmarked grave in Millville, Cache County, Utah. Her desire expressed in a poem she wrote in 1872 was finally granted.

When will thou kindly free me Lord From all my burdens here And welcome home thy grief worn child To a blest and happy sphere.

  • **************************************

All the major research was done by Cora Prescott Lewis. A special thanks to Dorothy Bourne, Ted Buckland, Ada Olsen, Clair Wyatt, and Stewart Wyatt for their extra help and additional research. Shortened version January 27, 1997, by Sharon Huff 4601 W. Citrus Way, Glendale, AZ 85301

  • **********************************************

SOURCE: Hannah Daggett Buckland, 1802-1881, compiled by Sharon Huff ; research by Cora Prescott Lewis. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints History Library. M270.07 C712h 1993. Retrieved from http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=pldut&id=I39


Marriage 1 Joseph Moseley BUCKLAND b: 12 Jan 1794 in Royalton, Windsor, Vermont, USA

   * Divorced: Y
   * Married: 16 Feb 1823 in Royalton, Windsor, Vermont, USA
   * Sealing Spouse: 2 Jun 1950 in SLAKE


  1. Has Children Alondus De Lafette BUCKLAND b: 11 Dec 1823 in Tunbrige, Orange, Vermont, USA
  2. Has Children Samantha Jane BUCKLAND b: 12 Sep 1825 in Royalton, Windsor, Vermont, USA
  3. Has Children James Daggett BUCKLAND b: 6 Jul 1827 in Royalton, Windsor, Vermont, USA
  4. Has No Children son BUCKLAND b: 6 Jul 1827 in Royalton, Windsor, Vermont, USA
  5. Has No Children Mary BUCKLAND b: Oct 1829 in Royalton, Windsor, Vermont, USA
  6. Has No Children William Azro BUCKLAND b: 21 Mar 1832 in Royalton, Windsor, Vermont, USA

Marriage 2 Nathan COLLINS

   * Married: 1847 in Yerba Buena, San Francisco, Califorina, USA
   * Sealing Spouse: 3 Feb 1993 in JRIVE


  1. Has No Children Samuel Brannan COLLINS b: 11 Feb 1848 in Yerba Buena, San Francisco, Califorina, USA

Marriage 3 Samuel RUGGLES

   * Divorced: Y
   * Married: 13 Sep 1851

Marriage 4 John BOICE b: 20 Feb 1814 in Fredricksburg, Lennox Addington, Ontario, Canada

   * Married: 15 Nov 1862
   * Sealing Spouse: 15 Nov 1862 in EHOUS

Hannah Daggett Buckland (43), b. 29 Oct 1802 West Fairlee, Orange, VT. to Joseph Daggett & Mercy Colton. She had a very hard life. She wrote poetry & kept a journal. "'Tis though I'm now so much forgot, Some will think of me again." She was a widow who remarried in San Francisco. Her lost journal was finally found filed under the name of Collins.

d. 4 Nov 1881 Millville, UT.

Buried in the Millville Cemetery, Cache Co., UT.


Hannah Daggett was the daughter of of Joseph Daggett and Mercy Cotton.

Married Joseph Mosley Buckland on February 16, 1823 in Turnbridge, Vermont. Joseph was born January 12, 1794 in Vermont and died March 3, 1872 in Chelsea, Vermont.

Married Nathan N. Collins in 1847 in San Francisco, California. Nathan was born April 1, 1809 and died in 1850.

Married Samuel Ruggles Aiken, 13 Sep 1851, Endowment House, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. Samuel was born October 28, 1803 in Hardwick, Massachusetts and died on December 15, 1896 in Spring City, Utah.

Married John Boice on November 15, 1862 in Salt Lake City. John was born on February 20, 1814 in Canada and died on March 31, 1886 in Oxford, Idaho.

view all 16

Hannah Daggett's Timeline

October 29, 1802
West Fairlee, Orange County, Vermont, United States
December 11, 1823
Age 21
Tunbridge, Orange County, Vermont, United States
September 12, 1825
Age 22
Royalton, Windsor County, Vermont, United States
July 6, 1827
Age 24
Royalton, Windsor County, Vermont, United States
July 6, 1827
Age 24
Royalton, Windsor County, Vermont, United States
October 1829
Age 26
Royalton, Windsor County, Vermont, United States
March 19, 1832
Age 29
Royalton, Windsor County, Vermont, United States
February 11, 1848
Age 45
San Francisco, San Francisco County, California, United States