About Abigail Alexander
From Descendants of John Floyd
22. ABIGAIL DAVIS5 FLOYD (WILLIAM4, JOHN3, CHARLES2, JOHN1) 
- was born Abt. 1770 in VA ,, and
- died 1834 in Prob. Bullitt Co., KY where her will was probated.
- She married (1) THOMAS S. SMITH , 21 January 1790 in Jefferson Co., KY .
- He was born Abt. 1760 in probably NC, and
- died 1801 in Bullitt Co., KY.
- She married (2) JAMES ALEXANDER  11 March 1802 in Bullitt Co., KY.
- He was born Abt. 1770, and
- died Bet. 1827 - 1830.
Notes for ABIGAIL DAVIS FLOYD:
This Abba in the Jefferson Co. records is almost certainly the younger sister of John Floyd. She not only shares her mother's name, but the father standing with her at her marriage is "Will." Her will was probated in the State of Kentucky, Bullitt Co. Court on April 21, 1834: (courtesy of Alex Luken)
Will Book B page 368 Will of Abigail Alexander
In the name of God amen. I, Abigail Alexander being weak in body, but of sound mind and memory, do ordain this my last will and testimony.
- I give and bequeath to my son, Sydney S. Alexander all of my estate (after the payment of my just debts) both real and personal, upon the condition, that he pays to my daughter Polly Beckwith four hundred Dollars. It is also my desire if Sydney finds himself in a condition to do so, without embarrassment to himself, that he refund to my son Thomas Smith Three hundred Dollars it being the sum of money said Thomas heretofore advanced to my son Frederic - but I do not impose upon Sydney as a legal obligation.
- In Testimony whereof I have herein unto set my hand this 14th day of January, 1834. (signature) Abigail Alexander
- Signed by William R. Grigsby for A. Alexander at her request in the presence of tesator and we witnessed the same in her presence at her request and in the presence of one another. She ackn before us both.WITNESS Noah C. Summers, William R. Grigsby State of Kentucky Bullitt Co. Court April 21, 1834, David B. Abernathy, Deputy Clerk, for Noah C. Summers Clerk of said Court do certify that this last Will and Testament of Abigail Alexander, dec. was produced in an open court on the 17th day of February, 1834 and proved by the oath of Noah C. Summers one of the subscribing witnesses thereto and was again in open court on the 21 April, 1834 fully proved by the oath of William R. Grigsby the other subscribing witness thereto as order to be recorded, which is done.
- David B. Abernathy, Deputy Clerk for N. C. Summers CBCC
Notes for THOMAS S. SMITH:
Note the discrepancy in death and marriage dates..... Interestingly, Anna Cartlidge says he lived until about 1801 and died on his farm in Bullitt Co., Ky. Because there is a later marriage (possibly his), I am taking Anna's date of 1801 as probably the better.
Alex Luken sends this: "To muddy the waters even more... I think it is probable that he (Thomas Smith) was married before. In the notes on John Helm Floyd's family, it says that George Floyd married Cynthia Smith, daughter of Col. Robert Smith and granddaughter of Thomas Smith, a private in the Rev. War. While I know how common the name Thomas Smith must have been, there is the time/place factor that cannot be overlooked. Thomas was 10 years older than Abigail, which makes it even more likely that he had been married before.... you note that Anna Cartlidge said that he lived to 1801 and died on his farm in Bullitt Co., but Kathleen Jennings said that he died in 1786 at Brashears fort. Is it possible that Kathleen is wrong and that it was Thomas' first wife that died in 1786? Could Thomas who married Abigail be much older than you show him?
Here is a Thomas that initially settled in Bourbon Co. KY. Note that the last child was born in 1784.
Name: Thomas SMITH
- Marriage 1 Elizabeth REYNOLDS b: in Dublin County, Ireland
- Married: 1763 Children
- 1. John SMITH b: 1764
- 2. Margaret SMITH b: 10 Aug 1766
- 3. Elizabeth SMITH b: 1768
- 4. Sarah SMITH b: 1770
- 5. James SMITH b: 16 Jun 1772
- 6. Ann SMITH b: 25 Aug 1774
- 7. Rebecca SMITH b: 9 Sep 1776
- 8. Mary SMITH b: 1778
- 9. Thomas SMITH b: 1780
- 10. Robert SMITH b: 12 Feb 1784 "
Then we have this note from Gina: "Smith Family" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
"Hello Pat, While looking for info on my Thomas Smith, I found your Thomas Smith, and discovered I may have something that would possibly help you. There is a will in Scott Co., which is now neighbor to Bourbon Co., any how it names a Thomas Smith and a surname Davis wife. I hope it is of some help to you. Our Smith lines sure did share a lot of common 1st names. But I can't find a connection anywhere. Mine were in Clay and Knox Co.s Ky in the southeastern portion of the state. Gina" She refers to a site where the below is extracted from "a book of wills" in Scott County:
- Sept. 11, 1799. ---- 1800.
- Wife: Tilly (Davis).
- Peggy Bryant,
- Fanny Davis,
- Mary Davis. son John.
- Wit: William Ward, William Mc Garrick."
This could well be the same family.
Notes for JAMES ALEXANDER:
- Ky. House, 1810-1815.
Children of ABIGAIL FLOYD and THOMAS SMITH are:
- 1. 59. i. MAJOR THOMAS FLOYD6 SMITH,
- b. 1784, Jefferson Co., KY;
- d. December 1843, or near St. Louis, MO.
- 2. 60. ii. MARY FLOYD SMITH,
- b. Abt. 1786, Bear Grass Creek, Jefferson Co., KY;
- d. 1872, IL.
Children of ABIGAIL FLOYD and JAMES ALEXANDER are:
- 1. iii. SYDNEY S.6 ALEXANDER,
- b. Abt. 1794 ;
- m. FATURA W. OLDHAM , 29 March 1831, Jefferson Co., KY;
- b. Abt. 1818, KY.
- 2. iv. FREDERICK GRAYSON ALEXANDER,
- b. Abt. 1796 ;
- d. 1833, Bullitt Co., KY;
- m. MARY LOUISA ANDERSON, 12 February 1832, Jefferson Co., KY;
- b. Abt. 1798.
Abigail Alexander's Timeline
Province of Virginia
Jefferson County, Virginia (Present Kentucky), United States
Bear Grass Creek, Jefferson County, Virginia (Present Kentucky), United States
Probably Bullitt County, Kentucky, United States