Abigail Buttolph (Fitch)
|Birthplace:||Old Saybrook Colony|
|Death:||Died in Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut Colony|
Daughter of Reverend James Fitch and Abigail Fitch
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Abigail Buttolph
About Abigail Buttolph
Rev. James Fitch was born 24 Dec 1622 in Bocking, Essex, England. His parents were Thomas FITCHand Anne REEVES. His brother Capt. John FITCH was also our ancestor through the Shaw line. He came to America in 1638 and was the first minister at Norwich. He was ordained as the minister of Saybrook in 1646. He first married Abigail Whitfield on 18 Oct 1648 in Guilford, CT. James and Abigail were, according to legend at least, married by her father in the north end of the living room of the Gilford Stone House on 1 October 1648. This seems unlikely however because the 17th Century congregational church, marriage was not a sacrament, and marriages were generally performed by civil authorities rather than clergy. The marriage was recorded “after the fact” in the Norwich, Connecticut vital records. After Abigail died, he married Priscilla MASON on 2 Oct 1664 in Norwich, CT. James died 18 Nov 1702 in Lebanon, CT.
Children of James and Abigail Whitfield Name Born Married Departed 1. Maj. James Fitch 2 Aug 1649 Saybrook, CT Elizabeth Mason (Daughter of Maj. John MASON) Jan 1674/75 . Alice Bradford 8 May 1687 Saybrook, CT 10 Nov 1727 Canterbury, CT
2. Abigail Fitch 5 Aug 1650 Saybrook, CT Capt. John Mason Jr. (Son of Maj. John MASON)
. John Buttolph 1682 5 Jul 1687 Wethersfield, Norwich, CT.
3. Elizabeth Fitch 2 Jan 1652 Rev. Edward Taylor 5 Sep 1674 1689
4. Hannah Fitch 17 Sep 1653 in Saybrook, Middlesex, CT Thomas Meeks (Mix) 30 Jun 1679 New Haven, CT after 1705 Stonington, New London, CT
5. Samuel Fitch 5 Apr 1655 Saybrook, CT Mary Anne Brewster 28 Nov 1678 18 Feb 1724/25 Preston, CT
6. Dorothy Fitch 16 Apr 1658 Saybrook, New London, CT Nathaniel Bissell 4 Jul 1683 Windsor, CT 28 Jun 1691 Windsor, CT