Matching family tree profiles for Abraham Conley
About Abraham Conley
- Abraham Conley of Wittersham Clothier
- BIRTH BEF 10 JAN. 1601 • Cranbrook, Kent, England
- DEATH BEF 18 MARCH 1677 • Kittery, York, Maine, USA
- married 1st 30 Dec 1634 in Wittersham, Kent, England Ann (Unknown) Lord widow of Nathan Lord of Rye
- married 2nd Elizabeth (Uknown)
- One proven child by first wife Ann is Abraham bp 1636
- No other children have been proved
- Step-father to Nathan Lord of Maine
- Did marry Margaret (Unknown) [Everett] Nash (disproved)
Abraham Conley, the son of John and Dorothy Cliffe Conley, was born 10 Jan 1601, presumably, at Biddenden, Kent; he died, at Kittery, Me. prior to 05 March 1691. Abraham Conley married first, Ann (Unknown) Lord, on 01 Jan 1634. She was the widow of Nathan Lord of Rye Shoemaker (1599-1633) Parish record published in TAG (see sources) prove that Abraham Conley married as his firs wife the widow of Nathan Lord of Rye:
- 30 Dec. 1634. "W[hi]ch day appeered p[e]rsonally Abraham Conley of Wittresham in the Diosesse of Canterbury clothworker & a bachelor of the age of 31 years or thereaboute, & allegeth that he intendeth to marry with Anne Lorde of the same parish parish [sic] widow the relict of Nathanael [sic] Lord deceased And of the truth of the premisses that he knoweth of no lawfull let or ompediment by reason of any precontract, consanguinity, affinity or otherwise to hinder his intended marriage. He made faith & [signed] Abraham (X) Conley."
- I Jan. 1634/5 Abraham Condly & Ann Lord vid [widow] married by license.
- 5 Nov. 1636 Abraham, son of Abraham & Anne Condly, baptized.
Only a single son is born to this union. TAG proves he had no daughter Judith. In fact no other baptism are recorded for this couple.
Abraham Conley came to New England in 1638 with his step-son Nathan Lord (1633-1690) and possibly a son Abraham Conley (1636-). Ann Lord Conley died prior to 1638 at which time Abraham married his second wife, Elizabeth (–), who died prior to 1664. Elizabeth (–) was the mother of Shuah Conley.
Note it has been disproved that Abraham Conley married Margaret (Unknown) [Everett] Nash. She was still recorded with the name Nash just three months before his death. See TAG under sources.
Abraham Conley, as previously noted, came to New England in 1638 with Nathan Lord. He was a settler in Kittery, Me. where he purchased a house with six acres on 05 Jan. 1639 from John Ugrave. His house was located on land site #2 on the Piscataqua River. Abraham was a Constable in 1646/47 and a Selectman in 1651. He was a Magistrate for the General Court held at Saco, Me. 21 Oct. 1645. He was on the jury for the General Court at Wells, Me. on 30 June 1647 concerning the accidental death of Warwick Heard, son of John Heard. The Court agreed that Warwick’s death was accidental. Our Shuah Conley, daughter of Abrahm, married James Heard who was a brother of the noted Warwick Heard. Abraham was again Magistrate for the Court on 15 March 1649 held at Georgena,Me. and for the Court held on 04 July held at Yorke,Me. He was on the Grand Jury in 1646, 1650, 1653-1655, and 1660. We find Abrham Conley’s name on numerous lists and petitions as well as recipient of some land grants. Abraham sold 100 acres of land to Nicholas Frost in 1674. Abraham Conley was a farmer and a good citizen who was well respected in his community.
The administration of the “elderly” Abraham Conley was granted on 02 April 1678 to Nathan Lord who had married Abraham’s third wife daughter ,i.e., Martha Everett. Nathan Lord “brot the old man from his Sturgeon Creek farm to his house a year before Abraham died”. Part of the farm at Sturgeon Creek was let out to Francis Small, son of the fore mentioned Edward Small. Abraham’s will, dated 01 March 1674, was proved 05 March 1691. His specific date of death is unknown. He left property to Nathan Lord’s two sons, Nathan and Abraham, to Adrian Frye “with whom I now live “(1674), to John White and to Robert Allen.
References: FH19: Chart #3730-5-151; FH36:4. 4a(Chart), 10,11,13,45,101,122,465; PH7:176; PH13:159; PH86:44;PH214:V1:44;NEHGR:V70:185.
- Joseph C Anderson II FASG and Priscilla Easton CG, "The English Origins of Nathan1 Lord of Kittery, Maine: With an Account of the Conley Family of Cranbrook, Kent, England and the Ancestry of Abraham1 Conley of Kittery" in The American Genealogist (New Haven, Conn.: D.L. Jacobus, Apr 2010) Vol 84 p 81 – 94
- Sybil Noyes, Charles Thornton Libby, and Walter Goodwin Davis, Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire (Portland, Maine, 1928-39), 159, 701-2
- Charles Chase Lord, A History of the Descendants of Nathan Lord of Ancient Kittery, Me. (Concord, N.H., 1912), 9, 189.
Abraham Conley's Timeline
January 10, 1601
Biddenham, Kent, England
November 5, 1636
Wittersham, Kent, England, United Kingdom
Massachusetts Bay Colony
March 1, 1674
Kittery, York, Maine
March 3, 1962
March 16, 1962