Agnes Jane Wynne (Stith)
|Also Known As:||"Stith;", "Parsons Agnes Jane Gregory Stith"|
|Birthplace:||Charles City, Virginia|
|Death:||Died in Jones Hole Swamp, Surrey Cty, Va (Burial)|
|Place of Burial:||Virginia, United States|
Biological daughter of Joe Parsons, of Henrico and Jane Gregory / Parsons / Stith
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Agnes Jane Wynne
About Agnes Jane Wynne
Additional Curator's Notes:
Agnes Jane Stith was the natural daughter of Jane Mosby and Joseph Parsons. Joseph Parson died before Agnes was born. Her mother married John Drury Stith before Agnes was born, in Dec. 1656. John Stith gave Agnes his name, raised her as his daughter, and left her the same inheritance as his natural daughters (see copy of will below).
Agnes was born c. 1657 in Charles City Couny, Virginia and died c.1709 in Surry County, Virginia. She married Thomas Wynn or Wynne, the son of Robert Wynn or Wynne and wife Frances Sloman. They had four children, two sons (Thomas Jr., and Robert) and two daughters (Mary and Lucy.)
An additional child, Sloman Wynne, appears in some trees. Nothing is known about this child, he is not mentioned in Thomas' will, and I have not found proof the child existed. Maria Edmonds-Zediker, Volunteer Curator, 8/21/2011.
Will of John STITH, Sr. of Westover Parish, Charles City County, Virginia, Gentleman.
- To oldest son John, all land I live on and my mill lately built, and all other lands belonging to me except my land on eastern branch of Herring Creek, which I give to my son Drury.
- To my daughter Jane, now wife of Capt. Daniel Luellin, 5 pounds.
- To my daughter Ann, now wife of Mr. Robert Bolling, 10 pounds.
- To my daughter Agnes, now wife of Mr. Thomas Wynn, 5 pounds.
- All rest of my estate divided in three parts to my wife Jane and sons John and Drury. Drury is to take his share of personal estate at plantation left to him, but if more than his share, then surplus to the other two.
- To my loving friend Hugh Davis, 20 shillings to buy him a ring. He is to settle any difference among my executors.
- Dated 13 Nov 1690 Wit: James Batty, Frances (FH) Batty, John Gay, Hugh Davis Signed John Stith Recorded 3 April 1694
- Codicil: I originally divided my estate in three parts. Since marriage of my son Drury, I have allowed him his third of my personal estate and made over the plantation left in my will. Therefore rest of estate is now divided into 2 parts for my wife and son John. 3 Oct. 1693. Wit: William Cole, John Jones, Thomas Grig Signed: John Stith Recorded 3 April 1694
From: Charles City Virginia Records 1737-1774, p. 185
Links to additional material:
Because there is currently no way to show an adoption on Geni, and because of the importance of Agnes Jane Stith in Virginia history, I have been asked as a curator to maintain this second profile for her under her natural father's name, for the benefit of those researching Parson family history.
This profile is locked and will remain locked to prevent merging into the profile for Agnes Jane Wynne (Stith). Please contact me or any curator if you need access to this profile.
Maria Edmonds-Zediker, Volunteer Curator, March 31, 2014
Update May 2016
Geni now can show adoptions. Profiles merged. - EH
Agnes Jane Wynne's Timeline
Charles City, Virginia
James City, Virginia, United States
Charles City, Virginia, USA
Charles City Co., VA
Charles City, Virginia, USA
June 1, 1685
Charles City, Charles City County, Virginia, United States
Sussex, Sussex County, Virginia, United States